Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 660 running down the road bout 30mph heard this bang gear grinding some smoke noise, rhino lock up ,engine wont turn , pulled plug and can see where piston went into plug bout 5 threads deep, so no oil leaking out case look ok are they rebuildable when this happens ?????:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If nothing came thru the cases or cylinder wall you probably okay with that...

The sleeve is definitely toast...the cylinder MIGHT be re-sleeve able but odds are against it...

Piston obviously gone...odds are the piston broke at the ears where the wrist pin is...and rod/wrist pin hammered into the top of the combustion chamber...valves are toast...head MIGHT be re usable... I'll give a 20% chance...

The big question really is what is the rod look like...

Odds are it didn't break and wrist pin is still in it...which is the only reason why your cases survived...however, I give that rod a slim and none chance of being re-usable...It may not have broke...but if it isn't tweaked it would be a miracle...

So realistically...you are looking at a complete tear down... rework crank with new rod...re-use cases and most of low end parts...add a billet middle gear support...new sleeve, piston, wrist-pin, valves, probably cylinder and head...

Nice work...did you do something stupid like drive it... :lol:

j/k...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Crank.

Nate
Alba Racing
X2. My just did this but the rod put a huge hole in the cases and is hanging out the bottom now! Lol! I would say you need a top and bottom rebuild.
Usually the big end bearing fails and that allows the piston to hit the plug. Is the plug hole in the top? If so then you might not be that bad. If the piston did fail and "roll" in the cylinder the impact point on the piston would be on the side of the skirt usually. Best bet is to just start tearing it down...

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
50 Posts
The guy that had mine before me said when the engine it lost power and was backfiring for about 100yards and quit. This was at full throttle . I was able to save the cases but the entire top end and crank are being replaced. You may be able to save mor than me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Crank.

Nate
Alba Racing
X2. My just did this but the rod put a huge hole in the cases and is hanging out the bottom now! Lol! I would say you need a top and bottom rebuild.
Usually the big end bearing fails and that allows the piston to hit the plug. Is the plug hole in the top? If so then you might not be that bad. If the piston did fail and "roll" in the cylinder the impact point on the piston would be on the side of the skirt usually. Best bet is to just start tearing it down...

Nate
im with nate on this one
Alba Racing

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think you broke a valve, and that aint good..............that is why you have that much damage to the sparkplug...........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well thanks yall looks like its gonna be feb. before i can tear it apart , 4 wheeler needs rebuilding for deer season, plus its cheaper and easier. ill post lots of photos cause iam gonna need lots of help

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I recommend you do it the easy way...find a used motor and drop it in... :)

The rebuild is a time consuming pita and will cost a just as much if not more...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts