Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Parking break 08 660 Rhino

14K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  backyardmechanic 
#1 ·
Ok I have lost the parking brake on my 660. Have good foot brakes. I tried to adjust the cable with no luck. I done a search and found a little info on how to adjust it at the caliper but just didn't get it. Any help appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
would check to see if pads are worn out as posted above . the 660 parking brake and rear brake are the same. it doesnt take but a blink of an eye and the rear pads can be gone. not sure how long ago recently was but worth a look. on my old 660 i pulled the caliper off and just used front brakes because i got tired of changing rear pads and couldnt stand the growling noise once they got muddy. if pads are good then i believe there was a screw of some sort on the caliper that would keep adjusting the pads in as they wore out or something. sorry its been awhile hard to remember

just noticed you said 08 660. the 08 is a 700 and the rear brakes are seperate from the parking brake. need to clarify year or model

#5 ·
I bought a used 700 that came with no parking brake. There is a downloadable pdf shop manual around here somewhere, it is very helpful for everything including adjusting the parking brake. There is an allen type screw wit h a locknut on the parking brake assembly that needs adjustment, at least on my 700, hope that helps

#7 ·
Who ever put the pads on didn't put the insulators and thin metal plates off the old pads onto the new pads I put brakes on mine the other day and did the same thing had great foot brake but no parking brake and couldn't adjust it had to take it back apart and put them on after that parking brake was great.

#11 ·
WOOHOOO!!! Parking Brake Works!

:attention1::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
Worked like F'ing Magic!!! I don't know what pulling the seats was about (didn't do it anyway), but pulled the spring, loosened the nut WAY out, turned the screw WAY in until it bottomed, backed it off 3/4 turn, tightened the nut, replaced the spring and now I have a parking brake that's ****-stiff. I set the parking brake and put it in low range- took about 3/4 throttle before it started to slip just a little. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

#15 ·
Good luck with this, Iv been working on one of these. There is an adjustment on the caliper, and under the console. Iv adjusted it all kinds of ways, and it still will not grab. get it to work some, then the brakes get hot and bind and you smell the pads burning and the bleeder has to be turned to unbind them. It has new caliper, pads and hydraulic line, was doing the same with the original caliper, then caught fire. So now it has a wheel choke for hills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.