Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in Rhinoland have any good magic to remove stubborn oxidation? My hood is really getting ugly and I've tried a variety of methods to bring the color back but nothing has been very successful. :unsure:

·
Holiday Winner!
577 Posts
I have had good success with paint thinner and boiled linseed oil. If I remember right I mixed 2 parts paint thinner with one part boiled linseed oil. Make sure you wipe it off before it drys. I once left it on with the hope of better results, but it dried on, and for a while I had a texture like a kid had painted it with a brush. I have also used a heat gun, but it was slower and I did not think the results were any better. If your plastic is still in good shape, it is smooth but just has a bit of that chalky appearance, either should work. My 07 has lived its whole life in the Arizona sun there some spots (the top of the bed sides) where the plastic is oxidized deeper that just the surface and you can feel it when you run your fingers over it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip - I'm willing to try most anything. The plastics are nice and smooth its just the Florida sun has done its thing on my hood. Only the hood has excessive oxidation - side panels are fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
here is what I did.

I took Steel wool to remove the oxidation then I rubbed it down with spray on tire shine using a terry cloth. Initially I made a couple applications.

I have a whole bunch of the spray on tire shine just in my garage from a previous job, so that’s what I used. I did that in the spring and that has done pretty well. I recently sprayed it down again and rubbed it in and it looks better even now. It doesn’t have the clear coat shine like when it was new but it’s still red and not pink.

the nice thing about the tire shine over wax is that it works great on the black plastic and metal pieces too Without leaving the white residue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts