Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have historically had no interest in the rhino given the very high noise level in the cab so have been looking at other more expensive new models like the polaris 900 with the big car sized muffler. However, they are pricey and frankly, a hunting lease member wants to sell his rhino, a 2005 or 2006 660. I dont have histroy with the bike but he said it has been reliable.

He took me for a ride and while totally stock, it was in fact loud as hell. However, i was surprised at how smoothly it rode, do they all ride this nice?

The condition is average, it runs well and has never been used for mudding but it is sun bleached and the seats are torn, etc. he wants 6000$ for it. Has 525 hrs but only 3400 miles.

How good have these utv,s been, reliablility, trouble spots and overall how is the price. Im surprised it is worth that much since he only pd 10k 9 yrs ago.

What should i i spect or pay attention to and last, can the noise be meaningfully reduced or not.

Sorry, lots of questions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not sure where you are located but a Rhino would not sell for 6K here in so cal with that many miles and in that condition. You can pickup a long travel rhino with over 7K invested in aftermarket parts for about seven thousand right now. A close friend of mine just did that and it even came with a single axle trailer.

I would check the oil and the air filter, those will tell you how he maintained this machine. If things look good offer him $4,500. My guess is he would struggle to sell that machine for 6K unless he is in Canada or a remote location.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It hasnt been driven at a high avg speed has it? My 06 has about 600 less miles and 75 more hours - and I know except on a few rare and spread out occasions, mine has been driven conservatively.

As to the plastics, you can probably make those look very good again fairly cheaply. I did mine one sunday afternoon about a month ago and they look almost new. Here's the thread with before and after pics, explanation, etc. http://www.rhinoforums.net/what-hav...equests/72268-repaired-my-plastics-today.html Also, oem and aftermarket plastics are available but from what I've seen on ebay and other sites, they range from around $700-$1100 for a full set.

As to seats, there are aftermarket seat covers for these. They seem kind of pricey to me, as are new factory covers. An upholsterer may be cheaper than either of those options. Ive recently developed about a 2 inch tear in my drivers seat at the corner. Im going to stitch it for the time being. The seats dont look particularly difficult to recover, depending on how the two drains/grommets are installed and if you can shape marine grade vinyl just a bit with a heat gun.

I've read some threads about quieting them down. So, if you search it, you should be able to find some threads. Frankly, the things seem much louder in the cab than outside.

As to price, I don't think its bad for the miles/hours. But for the general marketplace, appearance often means more. I bought my 06 in 08 when it only had 5-700 miles - with the factory hard roof, windshield, factory floor console with cupholders, rear bumper, aluminum rims and those mudlites in the pics in that link above were new - it also had a vdp sound bar. I paid $6800 for it - and it looked brand new. The 4500 or so mentioned above sounds fair.

I hate to bring it up in a rhino forum - and I love my rhino - but since they're NLA, if I were looking for a new SxS, I would go and have a look at the honda pioneer 500. They're 50" so they're not like those huge Rangers, Vikings etc. I really like the smaller size of the rhino. They're about 8500...until you start adding accessories.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Th best way I have found to DRAMATICALLY decrease the noise in the Rhino is some noise cancelling headphones. The ones from Bose are $300 and you won't believe how quiet it is.

·
Banned
188 Posts
I bought a used 2004 660 three years ago for 4k in Maine. It was a bit rough. Biggest issue was the mount for the rear diff was broken. I welded it and also added a second mount as suggested o. This forum. New issue is leaky rear diff seal. They appear to be a bit high maintenance in comparison to a a tv but I think all tubs are. Other item I hear a lot have established with including roses is wheel bears. I just replaced both fronts.

As for noise I added an ado silencer which helped and then snorkel the air intake which really improved the sound level in the cab.

A good upgrade is JBS sleeve. Gives the rhino tenfold low end pulling power. Search for it on this forum what people say about it is all true.

Phil

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
......... I've read some threads about quieting them down. So, if you search it, you should be able to find some threads. Frankly, the things seem much louder in the cab than outside. ...........
That is surprisingly true. If you ever have a chance to drive over an open deck bridge (imagine a railroad trestle with open ties as a deck). you would say "Wow, this is quiet in here". A huge amount of the exhaust sound is a reflection off of the ground under the machine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have historically had no interest in the rhino given the very high noise level in the cab so have been looking at other more expensive new models like the polaris 900 with the big car sized muffler. However, they are pricey and frankly, a hunting lease member wants to sell his rhino, a 2005 or 2006 660. I dont have histroy with the bike but he said it has been reliable.

He took me for a ride and while totally stock, it was in fact loud as hell. However, i was surprised at how smoothly it rode, do they all ride this nice?

The condition is average, it runs well and has never been used for mudding but it is sun bleached and the seats are torn, etc. he wants 6000$ for it. Has 525 hrs but only 3400 miles.

How good have these utv,s been, reliablility, trouble spots and overall how is the price. Im surprised it is worth that much since he only pd 10k 9 yrs ago.

What should i i spect or pay attention to and last, can the noise be meaningfully reduced or not.

Sorry, lots of questions.
I can tell you from experience that the rhinos are good and bad all at the same time. WE have an 07 rhino 660 and its really been nothing but trouble. Starting off you are right its very very loud. I thinks its because the engine is right in between you and it just kills your ears. Yes mine rides very, very smooth but it squeaks, and when we got it repaired I asked if they all squeak and he said yes but idk if that's for all of them. The pros are the 4wd and the diff-lock, the huge gas tank, the smooth riding, bucket seats, and good roll cage. Cons, no power steering, squeaks, loud, and battery. Through my experience Ours has never wanted to start, we have always had to charge the battery. Once it got out of the shop it would smoke out the exhaust and if you put alot of water onto it it will die and never want to start. I also hate that it doesnt have a speedometer or a digital gas gauges because you cannot see the gas under the passenger seat well at all. We got it all fixed and now it runs great. Im really afraid to really push it because of it just getting it out of the shop. I say all that but I cant be to hard on it because in its hay day it was really the first sport utv and keep in mind this was 2004 so all in all this is an amazing piece and machinery and probably the reason why we have all the sport utvs we have today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts