Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Im out at glamis right now and ran into a problem ive never encountered... Our Rhino at start up will rev up but not move. Finally at high RPMs it gets moving. So basically there is no low end but its generally slower all together. I have been reading online to try and find what the problem could be. At this point im hoping its the oil i put in. (Castrol GTX SynBlend) It is apparently not wet clutch approved. i changed the oil and took it on a ride from the washes to the drags (a few miles) and seemed to get better on the way but not back to normal. If anyone knows whats going on or has any advice it would really help out.

thanks in advance

mark

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mark, is it possible the CVT is not shifting out and makes it real slugish off the line. Pull the CVTcover and check to see if it is operating smoothly. If that checks out, then I hate to say it, but your wet clutch maybe on its way out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, is it possible the CVT is not shifting out and makes it real slugish off the line. Pull the CVTcover and check to see if it is operating smoothly. If that checks out, then I hate to say it, but your wet clutch maybe on its way out.
Sorry for the ignorance but what do you mean by "not shifting out" and what do i look for with the cover off? You dont think the oil has something to do with it?

·
Registered
395 Posts
mine did the same thing as soon as i put gtx in it...sliped real bad untill you got going than ok....till you stop and all over again....change the oil again....the oil filter and mostly the oil cooler traps alot of oil and the long cooler lines...i changed mine twice and prayed...but still no go....i had to replace the wet clutch...about $400...my shoes where gone...but not all from the oil....i just bought the rhino and changed the oil...so i think it was bad before..it did work unloading from trailer and stuff...the gtx just componded it..good luck

·
Registered
395 Posts
what he ment by the cvt trans not shifting....watch the primary and secondary clutches and belt for proper funtion?....remove seats and engine cover...remove plastic cover under driver seat that cover the clutches....like 10 10mm bolts around the edges and 2 in the center...with that clutch cover removed...you can start the engine and watch the clutches as you give it gas.....the rear clutch the belt is down low and the left front secondary clutch the belt is at the outer edge at idle and it opens up and belt drops down inside the other clutch squeshes together and rides up higher....so the belt moves up and down on each one with the throttle....so if one is not working...?....but trust me its your wet clutch....the cheep route is new clutch blocks from ebay 100....gasket like 20....cuz yoer useing the drum and other parts that i changed making it 450....pritty easy job...search wet cluch on hear and you can read my posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
and only use yamalube

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what he ment by the cvt trans not shifting....watch the primary and secondary clutches and belt for proper funtion?....remove seats and engine cover...remove plastic cover under driver seat that cover the clutches....like 10 10mm bolts around the edges and 2 in the center...with that clutch cover removed...you can start the engine and watch the clutches as you give it gas.....the rear clutch the belt is down low and the left front secondary clutch the belt is at the outer edge at idle and it opens up and belt drops down inside the other clutch squeshes together and rides up higher....so the belt moves up and down on each one with the throttle....so if one is not working...?....but trust me its your wet clutch....the cheep route is new clutch blocks from ebay 100....gasket like 20....cuz yoer useing the drum and other parts that i changed making it 450....pritty easy job...search wet cluch on hear and you can read my posts
Thanks for all the info. I'll check it all in the morning

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

did u wash the crap out of the motor and fill up the clutch cover,that does it everytime....whens the last time miles wise you had the clutch serviced, how many hours on the motor,we mostly don't burn up our wet clutches out here as we don't mudd our rhinos or put 40" tires on them like the guys back east...

·
Registered
395 Posts
He is in Glamis...no water holes or mud in site....he is on the west coast..not back east with big tires and mud?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It is almost always the wet clutch for what you are describing...

The symptom for rollers not moving out is it seems to accelerate fine and have good power but hits the rev limiter in high at lower speeds...even with aftermarket cdi...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts