Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 rhino with a 686 kit, cdi, msd, fuel pump... All of a sudden at 40mph it "sputters" or feels like its hitting a rev limiter. I've searched around and found a couple of potential reasons for this. ie. reverse rev limiter wire (green wire), fuel filter... I looked at the green wire and it looks ok but... The sensor it connects to is "wobbly". Is that normal? Also saw people were grounding the green wire. What's the purpose of that?

Thanks in advance. Fast response is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Have you looked at your fuel filter yet? I had the same thing happen to me a while back all because of a dirty fuel filter that need to be replaced.
Not sure about the rev limiter so maybe someone could chime in about that. Could also be your clutch or your CDI gone bad but if I were you I would diffenetly check out your fuel filter first and go from there....good luck!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had the same problem and it was an electric fuel pump going bad. Was happening intermitently and driving me nuts. I would check fuel delivery to your carb if its only happening at WOT...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ground the green wire and see if that fixes it. when it grounded it will not think its in Reverse anymore.

Do you have stock CDI to try? did your main jet fall out?

When you say ground it. Do you mean tap into the green wire and ground it so both ends of the green wire are still connected to their original locations? Or cut it and Ground it. If I cut it, does the sensor end need to be grounded or the lead back to the CDI needs to be grounded?

My CDI is not stock. Don't remember what brand. I also have an MSD CDI programmable ignition.

Can't imagine I lost my main but I'll check in the morning

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
ya I doubt the main fell out also, but you always or I always start with the cheapest thing
lol.

no just ground the end of the wire where it goes to the sensor. there should be a quick connect and just in hook it and touch it to the motor. the light should go off and on. I doubt it's this tho as it usually happens at around 25mph

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm at my work computer counting the minutes till I join socal out in Glamis. I will try and give a little more detail on another issue it was having. They changed the oil and accidentally used oil that had some moly in it. This was causing the clutch to slip under a load (like at the base of a small dune). I think they've changed the oil at least once to see if it would clear up but i guess it could be slipping at a certain RPM? Just a guess. Either way, wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter.

BTW - it's time for a new pic on your profile socal..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya I doubt the main fell out also, but you always or I always start with the cheapest thing
lol.

no just ground the end of the wire where it goes to the sensor. there should be a quick connect and just in hook it and touch it to the motor. the light should go off and on. I doubt it's this tho as it usually happens at around 25mph
So it will be a wire from the sensor to a ground and the end that goes to the CDI will not be hooked up to anything correct?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I have an 06 rhino with a 686 kit, cdi, msd, fuel pump... All of a sudden at 40mph it "sputters" or feels like its hitting a rev limiter. I've searched around and found a couple of potential reasons for this. ie. reverse rev limiter wire (green wire), fuel filter... I looked at the green wire and it looks ok but... The sensor it connects to is "wobbly". Is that normal? Also saw people were grounding the green wire. What's the purpose of that?

Thanks in advance. Fast response is greatly appreciated.
If you have a programmable MSD that is your CDI...

Of course you have a fuel pump...question is what kind and do you have clear fuel lines to be able to know you are getting plenty of fuel to carb...???

This is not likely your problem, however...based on your description...the symptom would be backfiring and wanting to die out completely...

If your pilot and/or main jets were not present it would be too rich to run from being flooded out...

The speed at which the reverse rev limiter kicks in depends on what you have in your cvt with regard the primary sheave/weights including the condition of those parts...

The reverse switch in the engine case the green/wht lead goes to is normally closed in forward and grounds the reverse rev limit circuit keeping it from kicking in...

The 3 ways you test that are

1. observe the reverse light indicator...if the ground is missing...the reverse indicator light comes on...the reverse rev limiter in the CDI is activated...rpms in forward will then be limited as if the vehicle were in reverse...

2. Disconnect the lead where it separates in the bundle near the oil filter...see if symptoms change and if so by how much...

The programmable CDI might be set at too low of a rev limit rpms...???

The oil could be the problem but it is highly unlikely...it is possible your wet clutch has had its day...and about to go out all together...in which case the vehicle will rev hard but barely move...similar to a slipping belt...

A slipping belt could also be your problem...especially if it only acts up under a hard load...

A roller/weight/primary gunked-up is more likely to cause it to hit the rev limiter at 40 mph...

Sputtering and not wanting to move at low speeds/high load may be a carb problem...

I suggest you look at your spark plug...

Test the rev limit lead disconnected and grounded...

Remove the CVT cover and see how the primary sheave shifts out in neutral...

Most likely suspect IMO is the programming/settings of your CDI...

The advice of using a stock cdi is good IMO...swap with someone with a stock or at least fixed and known working CDI asap...!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem found the two outside intake valves were tight. Reset them and let us know. Also, if the carb is pluged in any port you can't get it truly cleared unless you put it an ultrasonic cleaning tank to soak. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts