Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 660 that is useing oil like crazy.Dont have any leaks any where on it.I have checked everything i know to check it will puff alittle blue smoke when under alitte load but not blowing oil out of the tailpipe.I'm having to add a half of Quart of oil after about 2 miles of easy riding.Doesn't smoke any at a idle just when you hit the gas and dont have any crank case pressure have check to see if it was blowing in the air box but it's dry.I have even checked to see if there was oil in the belt cover any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent got it all apart yet but someone said the air filter letting dust into the intake maybe what has cause this to happen this thing only has 560 miles on it so it shouldnt be doing this but i think your right about the rings.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i bought it brand new.Its been bad dusty down here in South Arkansas for the past few months so wasnt sure if the air filter could of caused this.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Well if you are the original owner than you know if it has been maintained or not...

If you let the foam filter dry out and the inside of the rubber boot from air box to carb is filthy as can be then you would have your answer...

If it is relatively clean and filter has been kept oiled...it could not be the result of dirt in cylinder...

The oem foam filter will pass zero dust if it is well oiled no matter how dirty it is...

Dirt can clog a filter...and reduce the air flow causing it to have less power...but dirty well oiled element will not pass dirt...

Dirt can also absorb the oil in the foam causing the element to dry out tho...in which case it could pass a lot of dirt in a hurry....

And bottled oil will settle to the bottom of the foam element over time even if not used...again it would pass a lot of dirt in a hurry...

You could do absolutely everything right and still have a ring problem...it has happened here and there...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Stop driving it while it's still rebuild-able because if you run it low on oil you can grenade the motor in which case you are getting a whole new motor...

It only holds 2 quarts and a lot of it is in the oil lines/cooler/filter...your sump gets low on oil your wrist pin gets no oil...your rod or piston breaks...rod comes through cases...nightmare...not worth it...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My filter did get bad dry once and i cant remember how long it was that way but i cleaned it and reoiled it but it could have already done the damage .I never thought it would of let that much dust in i was wrong.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep your right about that dont want to replace the whole thing yet the wife might get alitte mad about that. Thanks for the input on this.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It happens...!!!

I like pj-1 spray-on filter oil for foam elements...it can still dry out but stays on much longer than bottled oil and stays at the top where the air comes in a lot longer too...

You might as well pop for a 102mm sleeve and 11:1 piston... :13:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
More is better but I would keep the stock cam with the stock exhaust and intake...

So you know you have to pull the head and cylinder off...

Getting it bored to 102mm is relatively cheap...the piston is not bad...you really, really don't want to put a stock piston back in...so the difference between a 100mm and 102mm quality piston is nothing...

And you should have the sleeve honed anyway...

So it's almost a no-brainer to go 686 (102mm) with a good piston...you can run 11:1 on 91 pump gas...

If are wanting to get a cam you need a good exhaust and intake...

I get my motor parts from Racers Edge AZ - Tucson, Arizona Motorcycle, ATV, Rhino Services and also highly recommend Benchmark performance...

Both will bore your cylinder, service and/or port your head...

Porting with +1 valves will make a lot more power but only with a cam, exhaust, intake...

You can do all those with the stock carb...

May I suggest my air intake...makes a big difference in power even with stock intake, carb, exhaust... :)

You can just do the cylinder and piston...relatively cheap...be much better than stock (just a tad more power but much better parts) on a low budget and still run your stock cam, intake, exhaust...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will do some checking around tomorrow and see what all i can do but for sure going to go back with a 686 for sure have a friend that just done his and it made a big change in his bottom end pulling power.Any ideas on a air filter ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 700 did the same thing, my air filter dried out and got dust and bit of water. I wore out my cylinder. I bought a new cylinder and put a JE Piston 11:1 piston in. Now it has a lot of power, getting clutch sheave next. Good luck. Go big or go home!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doing the same with mine parts came in today hopeing to get all of it done by next week and the same dang thing happen to me so i will be putting a uni filter in mine also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went with a twin air, it's been doing great. I have got into the habit of checking my filter & oil after each ride. Most differently my oil every 50 miles or so. The next time it happens to me it's going to a 734. Go big or go home!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I will do some checking around tomorrow and see what all i can do but for sure going to go back with a 686 for sure have a friend that just done his and it made a big change in his bottom end pulling power.Any ideas on a air filter ?
Use RuttingRhinos air filter setup you will love it. Im a KN user and have had great luck on 2 machines over 12000 on each and run like new. we run in wet,dusty,sandy,muddy doesnt matter maintain your filter correctly and it will work for along time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts