Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2005 Rhino 660 a month ago had service ( including oil change). Just checked dipstick and nothing showing on dipstick. How low dies it have to be to nor show anything!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ouch. Get some in there NOW! If it's not showing anything even when screwed in (should be checked with it unscrewed), you've got issues. Bad top end?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long does it take for oil to drain back down in crank to show on dipstick. When I was filling would run a few seconds and wait 19 min. It was showing on stick. Drive about 1/2 miles and 15 min later nothing on stick. And no sign of leaking or burning

·
Banned
401 Posts
Let it sit then check it

·
Registered
647 Posts
I meant bad top end as in "piston and rings screwed" and burning oil. Sounds like you're not though?

I usually check mine cold before i go out, but after running it should only take a few minutes for the warm oil to drain back. Either way, it should still show on the dipstick right away!

You're supposed to check the oil level with the dipstick, unscrewed, cleaned, and then just pushed in to the top of the threads.

Are you sure you're not leaking oil from the filter, or the drain plug? That's an awful amount of oil to lose in a short time... If you're burning it, it'd be like a smokescreen behind you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I could show pictures of what a local oil company did when they didn't check the oil. When the top end goes at 6000rpm there isn't much left of anything. They also had 6500km of the worst conditions you could put one of these through.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant bad top end as in "piston and rings screwed" and burning oil. Sounds like you're not though?

I usually check mine cold before i go out, but after running it should only take a few minutes for the warm oil to drain back. Either way, it should still show on the dipstick right away!

You're supposed to check the oil level with the dipstick, unscrewed, cleaned, and then just pushed in to the top of the threads.

Are you sure you're not leaking oil from the filter, or the drain plug? That's an awful amount of oil to lose in a short time... If you're burning it, it'd be like a smokescreen behind you!
Thanks for you input. I am going to change myself so I know exactly how much went in. No sign of leak or burning. I put in about 1/2 quart which took it up about 3/4 on dipstick (when screwed in). If not screwed in nor showing. So that probably means about .50 to .75 quart low. Only drove about 200 - 260 miles. And all short trips. Guess if it damage it would have locked up or be burning oil?
Lucky I checked it. I guess.

·
Administrator
2,240 Posts
Make sure when you drain it for the oil change to use an absolutely clean pan, drain, then inspect the oil ...I would set the container off to the side tilted high on one side and let it settle ...then drag a clean magnetic thru the low spot and inspect for metallic metal ...then pour off the oil slowly and check the emptied container for non metallic fragments ....also pay note for any metallic color throughout the oil...like a metallic car paint job ...

Then carefully inspect the oil filter for metal ....this can tell you a lot for internal damage already done, or possibly no damage at all .....Lance

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think the person that service my Rhino may have checked oil level by screwing in dipstick (which is what I did also). So anyway I put in half qt of oil and that brought it up half way on dipstick ( when screwed in, which is how I assumed it would be done). When you check w/o screwing in it still doesn't register. So how much lower is it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The service manual says check without it screwed in. There is no warning light for oil level like a car... Not sure where someone came up with that! The only warning light is for temperature, coolant - not oil.

·
Administrator
2,240 Posts
Manufacturers of these engines do have different methods.....the Rhino engines you don't screw it down for proper oil level, and on Rotax engines you do screw it in....would be nice if there was an industry standard IMO

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am going to change oil and filter again and put in the 2.5 qt of oil and see if we lose any or if it just wasn't filled enough. No signs of burning or leaking.
Right now it is showing on dipstick in acceptable range with dipstick screwed in, and I have added about 1/2 qt. So assume that would probably mean it has been .75 to 1.0 qt low?
Seems to run fine, how would I know if it damaged engine?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Make sure when you drain it for the oil change to use an absolutely clean pan, drain, then inspect the oil ...I would set the container off to the side tilted high on one side and let it settle ...then drag a clean magnetic thru the low spot and inspect for metallic metal ...then pour off the oil slowly and check the emptied container for non metallic fragments ....also pay note for any metallic color throughout the oil...like a metallic car paint job ...

Then carefully inspect the oil filter for metal ....this can tell you a lot for internal damage already done, or possibly no damage at all .....Lance

Haven't changed oil yet but would assume if seeing an metallic in oil we would be getting some signs of burning oil out exhaust (smoke)?

·
Administrator
2,240 Posts
That may not show you a lot for the upper end using too much oil, but rather any lower end damage because of running the engine without enough oil ....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Getting comments from thing to some that if had done any damage would know from:
1. Knocking noise
2. Burning oil or
3. Hard to start

Do you guys agree?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts