Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a 686 and blew a head gasket. I tore it apart did the head stud kit and new gasket and all is good. Took it to Glamis and it did great. Did a 55 mile desert poker run and now it looks like I have a oil leak at the cylinder base. What should I do? I really don't want to tear the whole motor down again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
I did a 686 and blew a head gasket. I tore it apart did the head stud kit and new gasket and all is good. Took it to Glamis and it did great. Did a 55 mile desert poker run and now it looks like I have a oil leak at the cylinder base. What should I do? I really don't want to tear the whole motor down again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Pull the head and cylinder and renew the base gasket and oring............

·
Registered
615 Posts
Here is a picture of where we usually see the cracking occurr...

Nate
Do you have to replace the base or do you get it welded............

·
Registered
615 Posts
We replace. The cracking continues almost the entire way around. I am sure some have welded, but not for us.

Nate
What causes this, is there a casting mark or defect in that area......

·
Registered
581 Posts
High Compression + Aftermarket CDI with linear increase in timing + Head studs - race gas = cracked cases. Without the head studs you would just blow a head gasket, but unfortunately with them they take away the factory weak link, and the cases are next in line.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
615 Posts
High Compression + Aftermarket CDI with linear increase in timing + Head studs - race gas = cracked cases. Without the head studs you would just blow a head gasket, but unfortunately with them they take away the factory weak link, and the cases are next in line.

Nate
Alba Racing
Okay, thanks, I am going to check this area on my Rhino engine, maybe longer bolts for the cylinder will help...............deeper into the base......

·
Registered
615 Posts
We have found the best answer is a properly timed MSD 4217 cdi. I have 2 timing curves I live by. I hope the OP doesn't have this issue, but it is worth a look at...

Nate
Alba Racing
I am using a Dyna FS with drastically reduced timing because of my three plugger............

·
Registered
615 Posts
Makes sense and attributes to why you 3 plug guys are talking 9300rpm... Would love to see your rhino on my dyno! Oops thread jacking!!!
Well my Rhino doesnt pull 9300rpm, but it pulls 8450 quite easily, my Raptor pulled 9300, this is where I set the rev limiter, I felt that was plenty high..........
Thread jacking??????????? I wont do it again.............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.