Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been a lot of guessing in various threads as to what the exact size and offsets of the OEM wheels are. I was putting on my spacers today and thought that while I had everything off, that I would find out exactly what those OEM wheels are. I have the steel wheels, so that is what I measured. I would assume that the OEM aluminum wheels are the same.

The front OEM wheels are 12X6 (confirmed by the stamp in the wheel) and have and offset of 5+1.

The rear OEM wheels are 12X7.5 (also confirmed by the stamp) with an offset of 5.5+2.

The front hubs are in total 2" wider apart than the rear hubs (1" per side). I found this interesting since I have seen no one mention this before.

I also went a step further a plotted out different configurations to scale in photoshop.

Note: I used my bone stock '08 700 to measure. So, these diagrams will only pertain to stock suspension.

DIAGRAMS ARE IN POST #4

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Updated diagrams

The first diagram was inaccurate and ugly. So I redid it in Photoshop. I simulated the OEM suspension and made the wheels actually look like wheels.

I tried to add them to the first post, but my editing options will not allow it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey I love the diagram and help.I'm trying to figure out what offset I want to go with for aftermarket rims,But I measured my 08 SE 700 and the width is 54 1/2" just like the specs sheet says. The steel wheel rhino has the same width. I'm just curious if you could have got your measurements mixed up cause now I'm confused on how to pick the right offset,I don't want them sticking out 9'. The two inch offset up front would square the four corners with the different back spacing on the rims, But if you had a 12x7 2x5 on the rear it would be alot wider than 55.75 thats only an 1 1/4 more than stock I'm guessing. If I'm not seeing what you figured out please set me straight because I really don't want to buy a bunch of different rims to find the right ones. Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think the width he is talking about is tire to tire, not the body. Nice job safehaven! Your work takes a lot of thinking out of deciding which spacers and/or offset wheels to get. Do any of you run both?

·
Registered
13 Posts
"I think the width he is talking about is tire to tire, not the body". I understand not the body. If you measure from outside to outside of the tires it's 54.5" stock. I think the work and thought put into this is great. And I'm going to use this to get the right offset wheels. I'm not in any way knockin safehaven! I just wanted to make sure the numbers are correct so I understand and can order the right back space for my rhino with out spacer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I do not believe that my measurements are wrong. My measurements are from outside bead surface of the wheel to outside bead surface of the other wheel. That is the only consistent. Different wheels will have different outer edge widths. For example, the OEM wheels may have a 1/2 inch an outer edge (the area from the bead surface to the extreme outer edge of the wheel... I call it the lip) and another wheel may have only 3/8" of an outer edge. Also, different tires will overhang the wheel more or less based on the size of the tire. For instance, my OEM tire sidewalls overhang the wheels by an inch on each side. If I were to put a significantly wider tire on the OEM wheel, the overhanging sidewall could be possibly as much as 1-1/2" or 2". That is why I only measured from wheel to wheel. The wheels stay constant.

However, if I am wrong about something, I'd like to know it so that I can fix it in my diagrams. I don't want to give people misinformation.

That being said, this is merely a guide. I do not have all of those wheel combos, so most of the measurements are theoretical. They should be very close, but actual numbers may be plus or minus a fraction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think your way of putting it together is a great way to stay consistant. I think I'm going to go with your way and numbers and forget the spec number way. You are right about the different rim beads and tire side wall, I think your diagram is spot on I just needed to get out of the "Holy Grail" way of thinking. I think the diagram is very helpful with mind to eye thinking,even if the numbers are or aren't spot on the concept is a huge advantage for any of us looking to add spacers or a tire-rim upgade. Thanks again for the effort and it is a great help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im new to the rhino scene and have no money for longtravel. but, if i do get spacers i want the front and rear widths to be flush with eacother?

·
Banned
6,192 Posts
the dealer will give u free rear spacers if the rhino is stock

·
Registered
62 Posts
Flush width or not

The dealer will put on spacers and i think they are 2". Is it better to put 1" on the front to even the width out or 1.50" to still have more width in the front?

·
Administrator
2,221 Posts
Don't know how I missed this safehaven - exactly what I need for my wheel selection - great job!!!..........LBR

·
Registered
216 Posts
I put 2 inch spacers on all 4 corners. My rhino is far more stable than stock this way. I run 8 paddle reversed 5 in on the rear and 4 inch reversed smooth buff on the front and it dunes fine in a straight line. No problems yet with my suspension parts. I have run with a long travel setup fireind of mine and he cannot go where I can because he can't swap long travel as i can change wheels in 10 minutes. I want a ribbed center type front sand tires now because buffs are crap for turning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
maybe im not exactly sure what you want to get out of this but if you are looking for a wide off set to help stablize the machine, why not run a -47mm off set or what they call a deep dish wheel all around to give you that stance, instead of a cheesy wheel spacer? That way there are no flaws in your machine as far as looks and mechanics. Please correct me if im wrong in what you are getting at.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The way I read this, it looks like if I wanted to run a OEM set of rear wheels on the front, I would need at least one inch spacers for the front? I currently have 2" spacers on the rear with OEM SE wheels. My rear width is now 53.75" My front width is 49.75" In order for the rears to clear the spindle I would need to space them out 1" each side (51.75"). Plus 1" total width for 5.5" wide vs 5". I believe that would make the front 52.75" wide? Clear as mud? Am I thinking correctly?

And, BTW thanks for the time and effort to post your findings!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
does anyone know the lug size and spacing? I am trying to find a free rolling hub to fit a Rhino wheel ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
4x110

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spacing

There has been a lot of guessing in various threads as to what the exact size and offsets of the OEM wheels are. I was putting on my spacers today and thought that while I had everything off, that I would find out exactly what those OEM wheels are. I have the steel wheels, so that is what I measured. I would assume that the OEM aluminum wheels are the same.

The front OEM wheels are 12X6 (confirmed by the stamp in the wheel) and have and offset of 5+1.

The rear OEM wheels are 12X7.5 (also confirmed by the stamp) with an offset of 5.5+2.

The front hubs are in total 2" wider apart than the rear hubs (1" per side). I found this interesting since I have seen no one mention this before.

I also went a step further a plotted out different configurations to scale in photoshop.

Note: I used my bone stock '08 700 to measure. So, these diagrams will only pertain to stock suspension.

DIAGRAMS ARE IN POST #4
Safehaven, Or anybody jump in.
I have read your post and re-reread several times. By the way thanks for doing all the work, checking the measurements. What would your idea be for my best spacing for my application. Oh, I will use the Rhino on the farm exclusively, no trail riding, jumps, etc. Utility work only.

I live on a farm, some wet places, but the problem is I also have nasty hills. Up and down doesn't pose a problem; but I have to do some work (spraying, checking weeds, etc) traversing side hill. So side stability is my goal.

I have a 2008, 700, with only 100 miles on it, yea it was stored my a service member. I will be using the stock steel wheels with the stock Maxxis, for now. I measured the track, not exact but close, with the wheels on; and the front tire (measured on outside sidewall) is about 1 1/2 " narrower, on one side, than the rear measured at the outside sidewall. I ran a long straightedge along the rear tire, just touching the front and rear of the rear tire, to the front and did the same. That is how I got my 1 1/2 " difference. This is with the factory modification, I suppose, an aluminum spacer and steel plate, for a total of 2" on each side of the rear.

I have a New set of 4x110, 1 1/2" spacers, the good ones, from another project never used.

I want to widen the track on front. , My question:

Should I buy another set of 2" spacers or just use my set of 1 1/2" spacers . Doing the same measurement from the sidewall. Did I confuse anyone?

Thank You in Advance

oldracer

1 - 20 of 36 Posts