Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 660 that has a new key switch new solenoid and new starter and it will not start off the key switch the battery is fully charged.when I turn the key, all I get is a click at the solenoid I can cross over the solenoid and it will start any ideas. TIA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I replaced the solenoid and it starts, however the engine drags. Too much compression? Is there a decompression valve somewhere like on the older hondas that may be sticking or something?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ok, I replaced the solenoid and it starts, however the engine drags. Too much compression? Is there a decompression valve somewhere like on the older hondas that may be sticking or something?

Before you get too deep into troubleshooting make sure your battery is okay. Checking battery voltage does not tell you the whole story - you can show 12+ volts (surface charge) but that is no indication of battery "load" capacity. If you don't have a load tester (most folks do not) then take the battery to your local auto parts and have them load test it. Don't knock yourself out trying to troubleshoot until you're sure the battery is good.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a battery load tester what should it be under load volt wise

Depends on the amount of load applied (in amps) and the rated capacity of the battery. If it's a small 100 amp handheld tester (like mine) with an average SBS battery, depress the toggle switch and monitor the voltage drop - should stay above 10.5 volts for up to 15 seconds. If it drops immediately to 10 volts and keeps dropping, your battery is likely toast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue with my 06 660 Rhino. the decompression system is one of the exhaust valves, there is a small rod that protrudes from the cam shaft, the weights on the cam gear control it. the rod in the cam gear gets worn and sometimes sticks inside the cam and wont open the exhaust valve. I replaced those parts and adjusted the valves to spec and no more drag... if you're not a mechanic, i recommend you have a professional do it for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts