Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Nut on front U-Joint

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  XXXMEDICXXX 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have to replace my rear brake pipe and when I got it all apart I saw that the nut that holds the rear u-joint of the front drive shaft to the motor is missing.

Any hints on a easy way to fix this? Or do I really have to pull the drive shaft and dismantle the u joint to replace this? I assume it should be fixed, but no telling how much I drove it without that nut in place. Any particular damage I should look for as a result of this?

Thanks Jody

#2 ·
Its amazing its not leaking oil, I had mine leaking oil there recently and the nut was loose, I suggest you get a new nut and try sliding the yoke back and try to weasel a nut in there and tighten it up with a ground down box end wrench to get into that confined area, I tightened mine up and then backed it off and cleaned it with brake clean, then sprayed some sealant into that area and to seal it and help lock the nut to the threads...........

#6 ·
yes, always use loctite on these nuts!.......darn things always wiggle loose....problem is now that the yoke has been bouncing around on there for miles, how loose are the splines now and also a side affect is the seal most likely will almost slide into the aluminum pinion support too easily and possibly leak, had that happen to my dads car and the seal was a loose fit and troublesome..

#8 ·
I took a sharp center punch to the inside of the carrier and dimpled it all around the circumference then Yamaha bonded both areas and it pushed in snugly and has been retained and not leaking for a year or so...only push the seal in flush!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.