Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '07 660. Last night, it left me sit 5 miles from camp. It stalled while I was driving...just died. I tried to get it started again, and ended uo running the battery and my booster box dead. I changed th fuel filter and checked the breather line. I even blew into the vent line to pressurize the fuel tank (has worked before) and force fuel into the pump. I have noticed a slight gas smell the past month or so while driving. When I got it back to camp (thanks to a friend for a tow!), I sprayed some ether (engine starting fluid) into the air cleaner and it fired right up. As soon as I tried to give it gas it died.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help offered!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have an '07 660. Last night, it left me sit 5 miles from camp. It stalled while I was driving...just died. I tried to get it started again, and ended uo running the battery and my booster box dead. I changed th fuel filter and checked the breather line. I even blew into the vent line to pressurize the fuel tank (has worked before) and force fuel into the pump. I have noticed a slight gas smell the past month or so while driving. When I got it back to camp (thanks to a friend for a tow!), I sprayed some ether (engine starting fluid) into the air cleaner and it fired right up. As soon as I tried to give it gas it died.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help offered!
I read that you changed your fuel filter but what about your fuel pump? Not saying that's your problem but could possably be the issue. Do you have a buddy that has a rhino? If so borrow his fuel pump and give it a shot.
Last month I lost my gas cap out in the dunes and since there wasn't any pressure to seal my tank, there was no gas follow to my fuel system.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We used it to get out to where we were...it ran fine. 2 hours later it fired right up then shut down while driving, after we drove less than 1/2 mile.
I have had to force gas into pump when it was sitting for a few weeks, and that normally worked when it wouldn't start.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
In addition to what others have mentioned, check the pickup on the tank. If you still have the plastic pickup, it may have cracked. Axia Alloy makes a billet pickup replacement. Weller Racing sells a aftermarket Mikuni fuel pump and fuel line kit that works great. After 3 oem pumps failures in 2 years, I switched to the Weller pump/line kit and NO issues in 3 years now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
fuel pump

i have a 06 rhino 660 and i had problems like that i got out and would ride and when i stopped it would not start back for a while. i noticed my fuel pump has getting hot , maybe vapor locking. i read on one of the post that yamaha has a better fuel pump now and i got one and it has solved all of my problems. it is a stock part

1 - 7 of 7 Posts