Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding all weekend on my stock 07 660 se. At the end of the day i started hearing a grinding noise when rolling up to a stop. It dosent seem to do it at all on acceleration. When i got home i put the rhino up on jackstands so i could run it in 4x4 and listen. Didnt hear the noise, every thing seemed to spin freely. Did a search on the forums here and lots of people seemed to have similar problems when they had a bad one way bearing. Took the cover off the clutches and removed sliding primary sheve and belt. Primary shaft seemed to spin smoothly one way and engine turned over when i tried to spin it the other way. When i was riding the machine it was hard to pinpoint where the sound was comming from. If theres something different i should be doing to check the one way bearing or if anyone has any ideas please help. Thanks in advance. Rob.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also have the same issue, it for me is around 10-15 mph while slowing down. Sounds like a binding type noise.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"You Need More Cow Bell"..................That should do it.

Sorry couldn't resist.:rofl3:

·
Registered
235 Posts
sounds like a one-way bearing going bad... does it engine brake down hills or free roll?

·
Registered
235 Posts
If the machine free rolls down hill with no engine braking while you hear the noise, it is the one-way bearing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how bad dose it get before it starts making noise? i have my primary off right now and the shaft turns smoothly one-way and turns the engine over the other way?

·
Registered
521 Posts
If it's making noise on deceleration, it's time to change the one way. If you give it a bit of gas, the noise will go away but as soon as you let off the noise comes back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds like it. I'll order a new one today and the gasket. Anything else I should look at while I'm in there?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Check your clutch shoes for wear and drum for grooves. You can get clutch shoes on ebay for about $100 if yours look worn. Mine were close when I changed the one-way... it feels like it did when it was brand new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts