Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I'm still fighting this no spark thing(04 660 rhino-2400miles)
here is what has been done--plug is new, plug cap checked, new stator/pickup(values checked with 2 different multimeters and ok), tried it with a known good CDI, ignition coil values checked and ok:aargh4:

has a rectifier ever caused a no spark condition?

whats the chances I have a broken wire in the harness?

a very experienced mechanic(not me) is kinda scratching his head on this one

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
has a rectifier ever caused a no spark condition?

whats the chances I have a broken wire in the harness?
The rectifier/regulator converts stator ac output to dc and then regulates the voltage applied to the battery for charging the battery...

Bad rectifier would result in dead battery...

If battery voltage is low and/or not enough power to crank the motor then it wouldn't turn over...

Very good chance of having a broken pin at the plug where it plugs into the cdi...

If the cdi starts and runs another vehicle then it has to be in the wiring/spark plug...

Make sure the coil, plug wire, and plug produce a spark on the other vehicle too...just to be sure the problem is between the cdi and the coil...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
engine whirls over fine---battery is quite new--the mechanic wants to install a complete new harness--this thing is giving me fits---I hope it snows so I can get the sled out and forget this crap---I'm going to get my buddy to try the coil on another bike

·
Registered
187 Posts
Make sure and check every fuse attached to a ground. My friend had the same issue and we found the rectifier was piggy-backing off of another ground that had a blown fuse. It's a long shot but a free and easy thing to check.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The orange wire from the cdi goes to the coil, this is the wire that drives the coil from the cdi, using a oscilloscope, check the voltage on this wire at the coil, it should be around 100 volts AC when cranking the engine............

·
Registered
109 Posts
Would this work with AC selected on your multimeter? I don't think a hole lot of people have an Oscope sitting on the top shelf....just sayin!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info folks--i've got a few more items to look at--i know that grounds can cause strange problems in stuff--anybody got any leads(no pun intended)on where to buy a wiring harness?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Would this work with AC selected on your multimeter? I don't think a hole lot of people have an Oscope sitting on the top shelf....just saying!
Sorry, what I have seen though is that if you use the AC section of the voltmeter, it may read about 3 to 4 volts max out of the 100 plus it should be using an oscilloscope................

·
Registered
109 Posts
Would this work with AC selected on your multimeter? I don't think a hole lot of people have an Oscope sitting on the top shelf....just saying!
Sorry, what I have seen though is that if you use the AC section of the voltmeter, it may read about 3 to 4 volts max out of the 100 plus it should be using an oscilloscope................
Not a problem, I know that I have AC current in my home, using a multimeter I can measure a wall socket and read anywhere from 110-125 vlt depending on which socket I stick my probe in...lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I thought I would close this saga--the guy workin on my bike calls up the stator supplier(RM stator here in Canada) and come to find out that stator is used on a couple different models--you have to change a couple of the wires around on the pigtail so they match up to my particular model--would have been nice to know that before--i'm not sure what the kind of setup that is but it is what it is--i'm just happy to get some fire---Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts