Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my motor back together..it runs great..however I do not have a low gear now. The shifter goes forward and the L light comes on, but it doesn't go anywhere.

I had split the cases to replace the crankshaft, middle drive gear housing and the top end, however I didn't mess with any of the gears so im a bit lost here.

I made sure my dots are lined up on the shifter lever gears(not sure what those are called..shift drum maybe?)...they are lined up just fine.

I did notice that when I have the dots lined up the rhino is in High gear, when I had read that it should be in neutral..

Any ideas? Im completely lost here...really hoping I don't have to split the cases again.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add to this, in high gear it seems a bit hesitant to take off until you get rolling a bit.

I did get a bit of motor oil on the belt while I had the motor apart...im wondering if the belt isn't slipping in low gear...still seems like it would grab some, or smoke or something. When I shift into low and the light comes on, I don't hear or feel the typical "thunk" you would hear or any indication that it hit a gear....Then I just hear the noise of the belt moving..like its freewheeling or in neutral.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I simply can not believe this.

I think I already figured out what may have happened. Apparently the one gear that came out when I split the cases was the low gear. I just looked at the diagram and realized I think I put it in backwords!!!

I happened to have taken a couple pictures right before putting the cases back together and I think I put the flat side facing in...if this is the case I feel like such a dumbass.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will post some pictures later. Started on the rhino again at 1pm today, had motor out by 2pm and am already reassembling it...even took a couple breaks in between to play with my dog. I did have the gear installed backwords. That will be the last time I ever make a mistake like that!

Should have it running by this evening.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well..its back together. Took a few breaks in between for meals..Total work time was 8-9 hours..that included pulling motor out from full assembled state, tearing down motor, fixing gear, reassembling motor and putting everything back in/on rhino. I have low gear now.

·
Administrator
2,253 Posts
Nice job figuring out the problem and fixing it! ...2 thumbs up for ya!

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Luckily I just happened to snap some pictures right before putting the motor back together the first time...those pictures allowed me to figure the problem out quickly.

I am also very good now at pulling the motor and reinstalling it. Now I can add motor rebuilds to my list of things I can do!

Nice job figuring out the problem and fixing it! ...2 thumbs up for ya!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Dude - you're a machine! It probably took me that long to install my 686 kit! :) I've never heard of anyone splitting their own cases before... most guys don't want the hassle and ship it to someone who knows what they're doing!

Good troubleshooting!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dude - you're a machine! It probably took me that long to install my 686 kit! :) I've never heard of anyone splitting their own cases before... most guys don't want the hassle and ship it to someone who knows what they're doing!

Good troubleshooting!
And just think...I had to reinstall my 686 kit this time ;)

If I hadn't just put the motor in the day before, it wouldn't have went nearly as fast. It took me alot longer to get the motor out and tore down the first time.

I always try to do my own work when possible. Saves a ton of money, and you learn alot in the process. I took some time on the second tear down to teach myself how the transmission really worked...that way I wouldn't make such a mistake again.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think that's some kind of record on the tear down, replace etc.!
You are some kind of machine alright. Robomechanic.
Glad you figured out the problem.

·
Administrator
2,253 Posts
Did you wear earplugs this last time? ....whenever I have to redo something, I always wear them so I don't hear all the fowl language...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You are what is called...

MECHANICALLY INCLINED !

x2 on the thumbs up...
x2 on waiting for you to show up at my place...got lots for you to do... :fingersx:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you wear earplugs this last time? ....whenever I have to redo something, I always wear them so I don't hear all the fowl language...

That was friday night when I got it all back together just to find out I didn't have a low gear...completely ruined my planned weekend! I needed ear plugs and body armor(to protect from the ricochet of stuff I was throwing)

nice,, i need mine done..my low gear still doesnt work.. u free anytime..lol
Where do you live? If you are local I would gladly help.

You are what is called...

MECHANICALLY INCLINED !

x2 on the thumbs up...
x2 on waiting for you to show up at my place...got lots for you to do... :fingersx:
I do consider myself mechanically inclined..I just need to learn to slow it down a bit sometimes. Mechanics are simply about knowing how to use tools, and paying attention as you tear things apart. If you know how it came apart, you can put it back together. That is one thing my dad taught me that has paid off immensely.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And just an fyi...It ran great. The 686 kit impresses me..For as little of a gain in CC, it sure adds a decent amount of power.

Only issue I have now is a leaky base gasket...however I believe its due to another rhino quirk I didn't know about or realize....they have two different length bolts that hold the cylinder down and I believe I have them in the wrong spots as I did not notice this. So it looks like the head needs to come off so I can put bolts in proper places and torque them down.

It never ends...but at least it will be a good reliable motor after all of this...and I have learned a TON from this experience...that in itself is worth all of the effort.

·
Registered
74 Posts
aint nothing better than helping someone fix something , then hear HEY WHATS THIS after its all put together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts