Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sell equipment and one of my dealers took in a 660 on trade. He knew I had been wanting a Utility vehicle. He called and said bring your trailer. I brought it home an took it out for an hour and about an hour every night for another 4 days. Long story short I bought everything for a total tune-up, when I got to the engine oil I unscrewed the drain plug and no oil. I have no idea how long it had been without oil. Engine seems fine, no ticks, knocks,smoke or anything. It does 38 mph so I don't think anything is wrong with the clutches. I'm baffled, this should have smoked the motor. What are your thoughts? I had planned on buying it, sold my wheeler, bought tires, winch, roof, gun rack, and a few other things. I'm in a tough spot with hunting season around the corner and no wheels. What would you do?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
put sum mobil 1 or amsoil in it and keep going !

make sure u get wet clutch approved oil whatever it may be,

sounds like the clutch needs to be cleaned and maybe a new belt make sure its in spec, 1.32 is new - 1.19 is no good, with a clean clutch and new belt u will be back to 42 , with a cdi and a clutch mod u will see 55+

also make sure the oil filter is tight, sum had problems with the oil filter spining loose and dumping oil that way and blowing the motor maybe u just dumped out the last of the oil thru the loose filter and u turned it off b4 it blew ? :) lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
if you hade no oil in it I would fill it up and get it hot then drain it to flush out the crank case . then refill with a new filter and watch the oil level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Being everything runs good and seems fine would you still buy for the right price? Or cut my loses now?

·
Registered
188 Posts
If I was losing oil, I sure would pull the top of the airbox off and see how much is sitting in there. These cars are famous for blowing oil out of the crankcase breather, and depositing it all inside the airbox, especially with a lot of full throttle operation.

A siphon break is a good investment.

C-Ya!!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
660s don't like being run low on oil, let alone no oil. I think your taking a risk there, price better be really good, IMO.

·
Registered
67 Posts
X2, seen used 660's going for about 2,000 to 2,500 on here. I personally wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does insurance cover blown up motors Im wondering?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

damage is already done to the internals,shut it off,pull it all apart and rebuild it,if not a drop came out then its a ticking time bomb from here on out.....probably burned the cam saddles and toasted the bearings on the rod and who knows what else is toasted....if it hasn't blown up then now is the time to have it completely rebuilt...I have had no oil on a dipstick before,but never had no oil drain out of the crankcase, thats scarey....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea 17mm plug on bottom of case. I'm still baffled. Took it for a short ride to warm up for an actual oil change to look for brass and metal shavings. Ran like a dream. Iv had grizzly's in the past that sounded worse.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Maybe they recently changed the oil and its still clean and hard 2 see ?

You should let a warm engine sit a little to get an accurate reading on the stick.Well if its running fine I say drain what you can and put some good oil in and forget about it.

If it was going to lock up it would have done it long ago.

·
Registered
170 Posts
maybe he some good additves in it before. i would just keep driving it till it fails, then rotax that shet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts