Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

My 700 rhino was running well this morning, parked it, now there's no display (no backlight either) and no start. It turns over fine.

Checked the fuses, they all fine, any known issues or tips?

I got a new plug in the mail the other day so I popped it in there while I was checking connections. No obvious issues, but obviously electrical.

Thanks!

drive.google.com/open?id=1QbpR9m8oy9Wvw7v1gljyZyCRHvwQat-f

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 06 660 did something similar one time and it was that the spark wire vibrated off. Took me half the day to find it. Good Luck
It was running perfectly this morning, now no display or backlight, and no start.
Anyone have a part # or info on the relays? The fuses are all fine but I'd like to try swapping some relays. I broke a relay when trying to pull it - the plastic case was very brittle in the cold winter weather.
Have a blizzard arriving tomorrow so trying to fix tonight so we can plow snow with it.
Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK, so update if anyone has this issue:
- I checked and triple checked all the fuses - they were all good.
- I checked every electrical connector I could find - they all seemed good, didn't change anything.
- Out of time I left the battery charger at 2amps on all night, so I could give it another go in the morning.

This morning I went out and- VOILA! After charging, the display and lights were working again, BUT the battery was showing low voltage (just under 12v). It would start and drive. Once started the voltage got up to 14, so its generating voltage fine.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14VUK8wzfT4agLnDpWUWMPXVvT_ETPIc1

Now I have a strange new error, Er_1 - on the dash - every time I turn off the engine. The display stays on when I remove the key. There aren't any codes. I'm guessing the cold snap we had pooched the battery.
Edit - Er_1 = ECU malfunction

·
Registered
116 Posts
The ECU's in early 700s would fry if you tried to start it with a spent battery. Suspect you may be experiencing this and unfortunately OEM replacement ECU's aren't cheap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ECU's in early 700s would fry if you tried to start it with a spent battery. Suspect you may be experiencing this and unfortunately OEM replacement ECU's aren't cheap.
OK, mine is an early 700 - a 2009 I believe. Any recommended non-EOM ECUs that are acceptable in terms of quality and not frying our Rhino? We use ours around our farm to do chores and don't need a 'performance' ECU.

·
Registered
116 Posts
OK, mine is an early 700 - a 2009 I believe. Any recommended non-EOM ECUs that are acceptable in terms of quality and not frying our Rhino? We use ours around our farm to do chores and don't need a 'performance' ECU.
No Sir

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Any idea how to clear the screen, the screen is staying on even with the key removed? Disconnect the battery?
Edit - disconnected the battery. that works for sure.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Any idea how to clear the screen, the screen is staying on even with the key removed? Disconnect the battery?
Edit - disconnected the battery. that works for sure.

Low voltage has been known to weld relay contacts together and it does kind of sound like a relay issue. You should be able to search this site for a schematic that could help you trouble this.

Good luck with the weather.

·
Registered
493 Posts
in addition to fuses, when you have such problems, pull the fuse holder and flip it over to check all the wire connections into the base of the fuse block. The grounds are very important on these units as well. Do the ground upgrades.... do a search and you will find them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fuses - did check the wires to the fuse box, seems all good
Relay - OK, good to know, I need to order a couple new relays, anyone have a source/ part #? I did crack a relay trying to pull it out, so need to replace the one next to the starter solenoid/ relay anyway.

Good to know about the grounding issue, found a post about grounding the engine block to frame, and battery to frame. This one still looks brand new under the hood (was garage stored when I bought) and the grounds look good, but I could clean them see if it helps. Will re-do the grounding soon, when I do the battery.

·
Registered
493 Posts
OEM parts are easy to get from Rocky Mt ATV or Babbitts or maybe Partzilla.
There is also a ground jumper needed from frame to battery to keep from melting your wiring harness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts