Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I read they are pregapped at 36 and not to adjust as it may break the tip.
NGK are pregapped, just run it.
Straight from NGK's website:

"Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

A spark plug's voltage requirement is directly proportionate to the gap size. The larger the gap, the more voltage is needed to bridge the gap. Most experienced tuners know that opening gaps up to present a larger spark to the air/fuel mixture maximizes burn efficiency. It is for this reason that most racers add high power ignition systems. The added power allows them to open the gap yet still provide a strong spark.

With this mind, many think the larger the gap the better. In fact, some aftermarket ignition systems boast that their systems can tolerate gaps that are extreme. Be wary of such claims. In most cases, the largest gap you can run may still be smaller than you think."

#3 on the page: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/installation/index.asp?mode=nml#gapping

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
we have installed many of these iridium NGK's and none of them needed to be gapped

·
Registered
561 Posts
As I recall, NGk plugs (and at least Bosch among others) come pre-gapped for the specified application and with a little cardboard tube over the threads that prevents that gap from being changed by bouncing around during shipment, storage, etc.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
mine was pre gap at .030 .032 about

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey My07Rhino, would you mind sharing your rear seat install with me. What seats, mounting bracket, ect. Where did u purchase all materials. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Hey My07Rhino, would you mind sharing your rear seat install with me. What seats, mounting bracket, ect. Where did u purchase all materials. Thanks!
rear seats are stock. made the mounting bracket myself. much like this one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For those it may concern NGKs part number for the 700 iridium is CPR7EAIX-9

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, They do................. NGK 9198------------- NGK CPR7EAIX-9. They cost $8.06 on line. There a ton of places to find them just bought two.

·
Engineer
8,214 Posts
For 660 owners: NGK DCPR9EIX
Much easier starting when cold. Pregapped to .030-.035.
Whats the difference between the DCPR9EIX vs the DPR8EIX-9 that everyone else on here is mentioning? Obviously the number is the heat range but other then that. Or is that all?
The DCPR9EIX is a cooler plug and uses a standard 5/8" plug wrench while the DPR8EIX-9 uses a 11/16".

I chose to carry the 9 due to the typical increased ignition curves on the aftermarket cdi's. The slightly cooler plug will help decrease detonation.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The fact that it's a standard plug is a smart move. I have two plug sockets in my rhino right now because my standard vs backup are different. I'll have to test out the 9 and see how the old gal runs.

Side note I bought one of the E3 plugs at oreillys to test out. Save your money not worth it in my opinion.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts