Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new project the other evening.

Its a 28' Pontoon boat with a 16' aluminum upper deck. A third toon was added to support the extra weight of the upper decking.

Most of the work appears to been have done nicely..found a few welds that are sub par and will be getting some attention. The decking is trashed so we are currently in the process of removing all rails and carpet to expose the rotted deck.

The pontoons are air tight and the motor is in good shape..should just need a bit of tuning and dewinterizing come spring. Came with a very nice Bear trailer that itself is worth more than we gave for the ENTIRE setup. We were initially just looking for some type of mobile docking station for our standup jetskis. We wanted to pull it out to party cove and set it up for the weekend. We would put all our supplies(beer, gas, food and of course Babes) on it. This pontoon just happened to pop up and fit perfectly into our plan.

We are planning on having two docking stations on the front where the seats would usually be so we can launch the skis right off the front of the boat. This will be a rather simple setup..just some rollers, a winch on each side and some ramps. The jetskis only weigh around 300 each so it wont be an issue. We are even considering making seats over the top of the jetskis...sort of store the skis in a locker under neath the seats. Its looking as if we may not have enough room to do this however with the height of the jetskis.

·
Registered
183 Posts
looks like fun. i built a 28' lowes to use as a work barge. took all the aluminum off and replaced the decking, then built a mount for a 2k lb crane to operate off the side and load and unload things once on the trailer. fun project but the decking can be a pita if your by yourself

brett

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like fun. i built a 28' lowes to use as a work barge. took all the aluminum off and replaced the decking, then built a mount for a 2k lb crane to operate off the side and load and unload things once on the trailer. fun project but the decking can be a pita if your by yourself

brett

What did you use to replace your deck? I have plenty of help to do all the work so thats not an issue.

I know you are supposed to use marine plywood..just didnt know if there are any alternatives. Stuffs not cheap!

·
Registered
183 Posts

brett

What did you use to replace your deck? I have plenty of help to do all the work so thats not an issue.

I know you are supposed to use marine plywood..just didnt know if there are any alternatives. Stuffs not cheap!
if i remember right, i went to home depot and bougth 3/4" pressure treated plywood. then a ton of new screws. dont even mess with the old ones. and when you redo the carpet, a little of the glue goes a long way!

brett

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

brett

if i remember right, i went to home depot and bougth 3/4" pressure treated plywood. then a ton of new screws. dont even mess with the old ones. and when you redo the carpet, a little of the glue goes a long way!

brett
Pressure treated plywood was recommended by the guy at Home Depot as well..but from everything I have read they say that wood is not meant to hold up against the amount of water it would be exposed to on a boat. With the amount of work involved I really hate to take any shortcuts. Has the plywood held up ok?

Its looking like the marine plywood is around $80 a sheet or so..going to need around 7 sheets!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I have some experiance with the Party Barge..... becarefull loading up the bow, they tend to plow through rough water rather than ride over it. We found out the hard way, swamped the whole boat in the wake of a house boat. The bow took a dive, enough that it lifted the motor out of the water.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some experiance with the Party Barge..... becarefull loading up the bow, they tend to plow through rough water rather than ride over it. We found out the hard way, swamped the whole boat in the wake of a house boat. The bow took a dive, enough that it lifted the motor out of the water.
Thanks for the heads up. We are using it on a private lake(440 acres) and ours will be the biggest boat on the water since 28' is the biggest boat you can have. Rough water out there is maybe a 2 foot wake...larger if you are behind a wake boat. So hopefully we don't have any issues but I will take it easy until we know for sure.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made some progress this last week but not much. All work is being done outside and its just been too cold to be out there. Hoping to completely have the old decking off by the end of next week.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Regarding marine plywood, my understanding is that it will not hold up any better than pressure treated. It just is guarrenteed not to have any voids between the layers. Also you may not want to use pressure treated for this application as well. Something strikes in my memory that there may be a chemical reaction (electrolosis) between the chemicals used to do the pressure treating and the aluminum. Which ever wood you use you would probably be best served to coat both sides as well as the edges with epoxy resin to help seal the wood. You can also take the wood questions over to iboats.com and they have a boat restoration forum that covers all of these questions. Otherwise, that is good looking toon and should make a great party barge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts