Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone just bought my first Rhino this week, 2004 660. Was excited to get it home and the more I look at it the more work I see it needs.
I was extracting the rusted off gas tank strap bolts when I noticed a chewed up white fan looking deal laying under he motor. Long story short I need the right side engine crankcase shroud (inner and outer), fan, fan plate, and hardware for all the above. I started looking at putting an order together and this is going to cost well over $100. Does anyone out there have used 660 motor parts they would like to sell?
Also need cv boots but thinking it might better if someone wants to sell their stock axles.
Only other big issue is some one snapped off an exhaust stud and really messed up the cylinder head by wollering out the hole then ran a lag screw in there to hold one side of the exhaust flange! (Seriously??!!) As horrible as that sounds its holding tight so that one will probably go on the back burner for now.
Let me know if anyone can help, Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Most people pull off the fan assembly on the passenger side so finding one should be easy on here. If your going to look for complete axles try for a set of later models, the stock 2004 axles are weak. I have a 2004 with 2007 axles and havent had any problems. Check craiglist for the stock axles. The lag bolt problem sucks since all you can do is replace the cylinder..

Mike

:azflag:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike thanks for the quick reply. Will def start looking for newer axles. Why do people pull off the fan assy? Is it noisy or something? Also what is it's purpose, does it just push out hot air from the stator?

·
Registered
414 Posts
The fan assembly was designed to push air across the the rubber exhaust mount under the bed and exhaust heat from the motor compartment.

There's a couple of reasons why people take it off. One people think it steals power from the motor, which it doesn't and the second is if you buy an alternator kit it bolts up to the fan mounts.

Noise is not an issue in my opinion. I took mine off when I first got my rhino but put it back on because I switched to a 2007 bed and I'm using an aftermarket header now. When I switched beds and exhaust I noticed a lot more heat under my bed so I tried the fan again.

Mike

:azflag:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I wouldent worry. about the fan. Its not really needed. There was a post yesterday someone had a hole set of take off axles and cv's for 400. If they are in good shape thats not a bad deal. Look in the for sale section.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Welcome !! Ditto on not needing the fan. It will just clog up with debris (leaves,small sticks, etc) if you go through DEEP holes anyway!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mike, I really need the shrouds and all hardware plus the fan, I'd say he will want to slap that shroud back on his rhino after he takes the fan out. I found a guy on here Gizmo-20 that I can get whole thing from. Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still have the hub that has the splines on it that bolts to the crankshaft. I need everything else, including all hardware minus the tube coming off the shroud.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would be most concerned with Your exhaust mounting....... If it's held together with a lag bolt then obviously the the threads are gone and the hole is over-sized. I wouldn't let something like that go, it could let loose at the worst possible time. Then what are you going to replace the bolt with wherever you may be?
the head could be salvaged with some solid thread inserts. (not helicoils) something like this McMaster-Carr then you will have s solid repair and something that can be serviced in the field/trail if necessary.

Here copy and paste in this in the search @mcmaster carr 90259A141 this is what I used on my 660 with some long set 1 1/2x5/16 x24 screws as studs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey rampage sorry I havent replied, I have been talking to another guy who has some other parts as well as the fan and was waiting to see if he was going to be able to ship it all in one box.
Just to be clear you asked if I needed the plate that the fan bolts to. I need the plate but I have the part that is splined that slides on the crankshaft. So you have everything plus all the hardware, right? If so would you do 35?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts