Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning on buying my first UTV and have a few questions. First off, I’ll mainly be using the UTV around the house/farm and around the neighborhood. I really don’t plan on riding on state (PA) lands so the width of the unit isn’t a factor. I like to modify my toys so the availability of aftermarket parts is important. I’ve narrowed my choices down to a 2012 Yamaha Rhino 700 and a 2011 Kawasaki Teryx LE. As it stands now, I can get the Teryx for 1K less then the Rhino. For those who own either model, which UTV would be suggest I go with.

Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 2011 Rhino 700 that I'm having to let go back to the bank due to job loss but after a year of ownership and 1,050 miles I have to say the Rhino is the best UTV on the market for heavy offroad use. As for utility use around a farm it's fine as long as you aren't too worried about your landscaping as the rear axle on the rhino is fully locked (posi-trac) so if you make sharp turns on your lawn it will destroy it pretty quick, other than that the rhino is a great machine. I've taken mine out into the mountains a few times hauling friends during hunting season and even being overloaded and in very muddy conditions it did awesome, I used the 4WD a couple times on hills just to make sure I would be able to get up them with all the weight. The rhino has 2WD/4WD/4WD with fully locked front differential giving true 4WD capabilities that aren't found on any other UTV on the market. The Teryx, like most ATV's and UTV's on the market has only a variable limited slip front differential giving at most 3 wheel drive and when you are in nasty conditions that's not enough. I'll take the rhino any day over any other UTV. The rhino also has a huge selection of aftermarket accessories, and is narrow enough to be legal on pretty much all trails. I'd spend the extra $1k and have the ability to lock all 4 wheels together IMO, even if in the life of the vehicle you only use that diff lock a few times it'll pay for itself.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Zooming: Just curious... Why, if you are only using it for home/ranch utility, would you not consider a previously owned, low use, late model ?

Also, if home/farm is the intended use, what, exactly are the intended use (mowing, snow-plowing, gardening, wood cutting, towing, light recreation) ?

From what I have read, and for what I assume your intended use is, the Rhino solution offers substantiallly more volume of options, but other here will give you the real skinny on farm use.

Welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Zooming: Just curious... Why, if you are only using it for home/ranch utility, would you not consider a previously owned, low use, late model ?

Also, if home/farm is the intended use, what, exactly are the intended use (mowing, snow-plowing, gardening, wood cutting, towing, light recreation) ?

From what I have read, and for what I assume your intended use is, the Rhino solution offers substantiallly more volume of options, but other here will give you the real skinny on farm use.

Welcome to the forum...
For just farm/utility use, no severe offroad or 4WD operation I'd look at something that doesn't have a fully locked rear differential to save the landscaping.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. In answer to some of your questions, I’ll mainly be using the UTV for pleasure. I’ve always wanted a UTV but didn’t have the land to enjoy one but now have a home on 7 acres so it’s time to get my UTV. We also have two kids that will enjoy sitting in the passenger seat. I have a JD utility tractor with does the heavy work (snow removal, landscaping, etc) around the house. As for looking at used units, I would actually prefer purchasing a used unit but I haven’t found any nice units in my area (Northeast). I wasn’t sure if it’s ok to post prices but the cost difference between new and used isn’t that big. I’m able to purchase a 2012 Rhino for $10,300.00 or a 2011 Teryx for $9,300.00. I thought these prices were pretty good, am I wrong?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Personally, for $10k, I would buy a used commander if you want some balls. Stay away from kawasuckis!!! Rhinos are great for utility and sport but no way would I pay $10k for one. Im in the northeast and got my camo edition in great shape with extras for $4300!!! Look around, youll find em.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yea I got lucky for once but I did have to drive a little and it took some time. Where are you? Just keep checking craigslist.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Haha, Im only a 1/2 hour south of philly. Trust me, be patient, find yourself a nice used rhino, use the saved $ for upgrades. If your serious, Im sure I can find one for you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just found one in Deleware. 2007 sport with full enclosure, new tires, and more for $5000!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try looking some more. I find allot of 2007 and earlier 660 models that are not fuel injected, I'm thinking I want fuel injection right? I'm also thinking the 660 may be low on power in comparison to the 700?

·
Registered
580 Posts
No and no! How mechanically inclined are you and do you like to tinker with things?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a few toys that I like to work on so yes, I am mechanically inclined. I don't mind working on toys but there is a limit.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you know how to jet a carb, they can run just as good as efi with a lot less problems. Now efi is also great for other reasons. Just found an 2008 efi 700 in reading for $7000 with a LOT of great mods.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not sure how hard you looked but I just keep finding a lot of good deals around you. Just found a 2004 in greencastle Pa in great shape for $4900 with a winch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Panteramatt,

Thought you would like to know I purchased a nice low mileage/hours 07 Rhino yesterday. Thanks for helping me see the light.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Haha great deal! Now with all the $ you save, you can dump it right back into the rhino like I did. Maybe we can ride sometime as your not far from me. If you need any help with mods or wanna ride, hit me up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts