Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a recent new owner of a 04 660 and live in Maine where its cold. My Rhino starts hard and needs alot of choke for a long time till its warmed up. I am pursuing increasing the pilot jet for starters but in reading other threads about heaters I see that there is no thermostat in the 660s.

Can anyone explain why there wouldn't be a thermostat? It would seam to make sense to put a stat in for the optimum running temperature. Im considering adding a cab heater as well and Im thinking without a t-stat the cab heater will cause the engine to take even longer to warm up and possibly not get to the correct running temp in the cold.

~ Phil

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You should go investigate Grizzlies... that is where you will find out if you can run a t-stat or not...

The reason for not having one in a Rhino is simple... to prevent overheating... same reason people put fan over-ride switches on...

So the coolant takes a lot longer to heat up...and thereby a lot longer to over-heat...

And higher flow rate too although you could probably argue that point from both directions but I believe the higher flow rate would keep the cylinder wall temp lower even if the coolant temperature and/or the head casting was actually seeing a higher average temperature... that is speculation on my part tho... IDK...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I see it as it was a basic atv 660 engine with a few mods that was put in the rhino, no thermostats in those. Then when the california air police started jumping up and down they decided to put one in the 700. I doubt in a motor this small that it has any performance increase after the initial warm up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had one installed when my 686 was built and it opens at 180 degrees. I did put a bigger rad in with the built too to help the motor run cooler but I dont know if that helps you out with the start up question...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
There you go Phil...

Someone has done it with no problems... I wouldn't hesitate to try it...

I has to make it warm up faster...that is the purpose of the t-stat is to not allow the coolant to flow until the motor is warmed up

Optimal performance for these motors is an operating temperature in the 160 to 190 range...

I would recommend you also install a quality temp gauge with good resolution with the sensor installed in the head in the oem hole...

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys.

~ Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.