Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just bought a used 08 700 rhino. I've been reading about all of these performance mods everyone is talking about. I have an msd and hmf exhaust on order. I'll be getting a jbs machine sheave and the weights.

I would like for someone to help explain what the weights do exactly. Also, what else should I do? I would like to reach 60mph.

Thank you everyone

·
Registered
101 Posts
You should be close to 60 once you get all the parts you listed. Any other mods depends on where/what terrain you ride in.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
the weights are what pushes the cam plate and spreads the primary sheave. the lighter the weight the higher the engine will rev before they spread.

did James recommend 14 weights?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In other words, if the weights are too light, it will take longer for the engine to accelerate or reach a given speed?

·
Banned
833 Posts
Hey Rhurricane, I don't think I've talked to you yet have I? Between screen names, emails & real names it can get a little confusing sometimes lol.

I would recommend 16g OD's for you. I mill the sheave to obtain the super low bottom end, the OD weights is what gives you the top end. You should be somewhere between 58 - 60 on a slight down hill with what you have comeing & my sheave. In order to have the power to pull that on level ground you would need a cam. I have the stage 1 raptor in stock $175. Hollar if you have any other questions ... thanks! James

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot James. Ive read alot of great things about you on this forum. Ok, so now I sort of understand what OD weights do. Now, as for the the cam plate sliders, those slide between the secondary sheave and the cam shaft right?

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Thanks alot James. Ive read alot of great things about you on this forum. Ok, so now I sort of understand what OD weights do. Now, as for the the cam plate sliders, those slide between the secondary sheave and the cam shaft right?
the sliders ae on the cam plate which sits in the primary sheave. if you want u can email you come pictures and details on the cvt

and ya James is the man, and his sheave is no joke!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another question, my parking brake is not working properly...when I lock it in place, the rhino still rolls back and forth. Any help?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep just as the others replied. The od weights are odd shaped with one side higher than the other which makes them push up or out on the cam plate furthur. I also have pictures if you are more of a visual person. Def give james a call and buy his sheave and od weights, u ill gain bottom and top as well as going greaseless which is also a bonus. I did and i love it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks slot guys I sure will. On a side note, today I installed my MSD and I still inky do 40mph. I'm totally stock but shouldn't I be moving faster in top end? Maybe my belt is bad? Sheave weights and cam muzzys are next...

·
Registered
985 Posts
You are on the right track with your mods. Look at my sig. With all the mods, I can hit 60 to 62mph. I just added James sheave. That thing is no joke. Make sure when you get your cam and Muzzy's, get the map for it as well. You also might want to look into a New itake filter. The stock filter is a little restrictive. UTV inc has a nice one with a billet adapter. Keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the encouragement tazz and I sure will keep everyone posted via this thread. Is this MSD really that useless without the muzzys, sheave, etc?

·
Registered
985 Posts
They work hand in hand. I was told not to run an e gaudy without some type of controller. Since everyone here liked the MAD, I went with it. When you do all these mods, it is wise to go with the MAD.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK thanks. I will report back upon installation of each item. I just thought these things go 42mph out of the box...I guess my 27" mudlites on 14" itp wheels are killing me that much?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got back from my first trip. Besides changing the fluids (engine oil, gear oil) etc, what other measures should be taken? I rode in lots of water with sugar sand so its a messy cleanup and i want to make sure I do what i need to do. Also, I noticed it seemed like the parking brake caliper was screeching the whole time. the wheel that spins where the caliper clamps is where im talking about. How can I solve that? Im also thinking that my parking brake may be going south seeing as it doesnt really "park" the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts