Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made several fairly recent modifications in an attempt to get my old 04 660 in shape for the upcoming hunting season, and many were geared toward wet conditions. I had a hole in the diaphragm of the stock carburetor, so when I researched parts I bought a Chinese carb for the same price as the diaphragm kit. I also bought an Edelbrock electric fuel pump and installed that to get rid of the hard cranking. I had already installed the primer bulb, but would still have problems starting. As it turns out, the hard starting was caused by an intermittent short in the wires going into the starter solenoid. I finally got that cleared up too.

Since it was so very wet around here I went ahead and snorkeled my rhino just in case I was to dip into an unseen washout where the water was crossing the road. Well, just like Todd at HW warned, I eventually started having carburetor issues, popping, backfiring through the carb, and cutting off. But it would always crank again easily. So I took the snorkel off the carb intake because the water was going down. The problem lessened some what but came back, eventually so frequently that I thought I wasn't going to make it back to the truck.

So I spent most of a day tearing it down part by part, but in a troubleshooting way. I took the fuel line loose at the carb and turned the elect fuel pump on with the key, no fuel. I bought another fuel filter and put it in. Still no fuel. I took the fuel pump out of the line and primed it with the primer bulb. Cranked without choking and ran like a champ. Next day after riding a while it did the same thing, popping and dying. I began to think that it was starving for fuel because I could pull out the choke (or enrichener circuit) and it would run a little longer. I checked for air leaks and the one place I hadn't yet checked: the uptake in the fuel tank. It was the same one that had come with it, and I thought it might be stopping up with debris or something. At fourteen years of age the uptake hose had become soft and spongy and I'm sure was sucking air. The suction of the pump could not overcome the the air leak and the carb was eventually running out of fuel. I replaced the uptake hose over a week ago and have had no problems since.

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Glad its running good again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 06 660 just started doing the same thing. I have replaced carb and put in an electric fuel pump with regulator. Has been running fine but had some heath issues and have not run it in a couple of months. Now it starts fine but after it goes a little ways it sometimes backfires and dies and sometimes just dies. Won't start even with choke. Let it sit for about 5 mins and starts right back up but does it again. All new fuel lines from the tank to the carb. Thinking maybe vapor lock but will check my hose in the tank now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts