Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be putting on a 686 bbk soon and have a few questions.

1. Where can I find the torque specs needed for installing the cylinder and head?

2. Should I use regular oil for breaking or can I use the rotella T synthetic?

3. Whats a good procedure for ring seating? Warm up and cool down a couple times? Ride it like I stole it? Take it easy?

4. Do I need to retorque the head after its been warmed up and ridden?

5. Any other tips?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Matt,

I am curious to know what your opinion of what motoman says is...

Regardless of whether you agree with him or not at least it is a professional opinion that answers most if not all of your questions directly...

He does have a ton of 1 cylinder m/c motor experience...you can't take that away from him...

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
yup, I always twist the throttle to the stops, don't hold it, just wrap it I do this until the engine is fully warmed up. shut down and let cool...usually over night. I do this 2-3 times, never had a problem, and people are usually very pleased with engines I rebuild for them :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea Ive read that one before. Gonna be hard to run her hard as theres really no where to ride around here. Probally ride it on the streets once we get some snow. Where can I find some torque specs?

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you're running aftermarket studs (a must in my opinion on a high compression build), They'll usually say 45-50 ft.lbs.

Ride it like you stole it... don't let it idle for very long once you fire up the first time. In fact, don't even Start it until you're ready to take it for a spin! Wide open, then decel, and repeat. Not at one rpm for too long... run the whole range.

I just did my 686 build this summer and thats what i did... perfect break in! change the oil after the first 30 miles or so, then continue your oil changes as normal. I use Rotella non synth.

No need to re-torque... at least, not that I've ever seen or heard!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could you send it to me?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts