Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a stock 07 Rhino Sport. My question has to do with the suspension. I bought the rhino to play around the house and I really don't plan on doing any hard trail riding. A lot of our land is sloped and with this in mind I would like to increase the total width of unit. I see the long travel kits not only increase the width but also raise the unit. The thing is I would like to use the sport shocks that are on it now, are there long travel kits which will allow me to use my old shocks?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
are there long travel kits which will allow me to use my old shocks?
NO...but you can use them on Mid Travel ... like the LSR MTS +3

I see the long travel kits not only increase the width but also raise the unit.
Yes that is true...the LSR MTS will give about 1" more g/c generally...with the same shocks...

I bought the rhino to play around the house and I really don't plan on doing any hard trail riding.
Yeah right...that is what they all say... :biggrin:

You can get by no problem for what you say with your stock sport shocks on the MTS if it is not loaded down too much... but you will find them marginal for hard riding and/or heavily loaded with those a-arms with all the spring pre-load and compression adjustments maxxed out...the good news is you can buy stiffer springs for them and also have them re-valved for the heavier load...

In it's stock form you want to tune what you have primarily with rebound adjustment in the rear to minimize bucking w/o having them respond too slowly...

Now... what wheels/tires do you have...any wheel spacers...???

If all stock...IMO...you should get a set of aftermarket (I like ITP) 5+2 wheels with tires you like for all four corners...then add 1.5" or 2" billet wheel spacers to the rear only...

Then adjust your pre-load and compression and rebound for bet performance...this will not increase your g/c but will give you excellent overall stability, steering/handling...including very good suspension from the factory sport shocks...

Your overall width will be similar to that of a MTS... if you were hard riding/racing the MTS would be better...but for what you are talking about you would never know the difference...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RuttingRhino,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I'm running the stock wheels and tires. With consideration to your suggestions, are you saying if I were to install 4 new 5+2 wheels/ tires and 2" spacers on the rear I would end up with the same total width as I would have if I installed a MTS?

·
Registered
395 Posts
someone said stock wheels are 5+2 offset?...they look like 6+1 or 7+0 ?...I have ITP wheels 5+2 and 2" spacers on rear..what (yamaha recomends) and 1 1/2 on front...i like how it sits ( looks) and it handels well....i have my shocks ajusted up tight and it handles loads of rock around the house well

·
Registered
580 Posts
I put a set of rims and tires on with a different offset. Widened my rhino 4". Had to run spacers in the rear though.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I alsohave an '07 sport. I hammer the piss out of it in the desert and use it around the house. I added 2"spacers in the back (before te voluntary recall) and 1" in the front. It is perfect! wide enough to stabilize while turning, power-sliding, or crossing sloped terrain, but not widening it too much for the narrow canyons I like to ride.

After wearing out the stock rims and tires, I went with ITP 4-3 rims. Close to the stock offset with NO regrets. I DO NOT recommend a reverse offset rim with spacers (also known as Poor Man's Long Travel) Adds too much stress to several components.

Lastly, if you do get aftermarket rims/tires. Stick with the stock sizes. they work the best on an otherwise stock machine...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
RuttingRhino,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I'm running the stock wheels and tires. With consideration to your suggestions, are you saying if I were to install 4 new 5+2 wheels/ tires and 2" spacers on the rear I would end up with the same total width as I would have if I installed a MTS?
Very Close to the same on the rear and half-way between stock and MTS on the front...

The 1" spacers are appropriate on the front with stock wheels but too much offset at wheel for stock a-arms with aftermarket wheels...you can do it... the extra width in the front past 5+2 wheels makes steering slower and more stress on weak components...the cons outweigh the pros... the rear is the opposite...the pros outweigh the cons...the "feel" of added stability with a wider front than that is false security IMO....

Keep in mind that quick steering is what allows you to get your wheels back on the ground when starting to roll and that once you get to a certain width the way it "feels" on flat ground is not as important as handling...

There is an ideal "sweet spot" that gives you the most for the least and IMO...it is exactly what I said...

Note that I have run LSR MTS on the rear only on my personal vehicle for years after extensive experimenting with wheel offset/wheel spacers for years prior to that...

The MTS is better IMO... but the right wheels with spacers on the rear is infinitely cheaper and easier and gets the most bang for the buck...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve been looking at some 14” X 7” wheels (M12 Diesel) that have an offset of (4+3) would these work for what for my application? Would I still go with 2” spacers in the rear and 1” spacers up front? If I were to go with these wheels I’m looking at 26” X 9” up front and 26” X 11” in the rear, would this setup work ok?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts