Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Rhino for my wife and from the looks of it it has some mods. For the most part we're happy with it but there are some things i just cant tell if they are normal or not.

Mods I can easily see:
Custom Color Wrap
Bucket Sets
Doors
Rear cage
Lights
Winch
Wheels
Ignition Controller
Second battery Box.
Radio

The first thing i noticed was the machine is loud and hot in the cabin. I took out the engine cover and added insulation. It definitely help, but its still load and hot. I considered blocking the grill on the cover but was worried about airflow. I'm also considering one of those dust covers, but 200 bucks seems like a lot for a blanket.

The second issue is the rattles. I've already mentioned the insulation i added, and i installed some rubber bumpers ont he tailgate. My main concern which i cant tell if it a real problem or just typical for this machine is the clanking sounds on deceleration. From some google searches, it seems like it could be the boss, but i'm not a big fan of just randomly swapping out parts unless I'm sure. Is there any way to tell.

The last item is the backfiring when coming to a stop. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this because the machine runs pretty well otherwise.

If you are still reading, thanks. Any advice you have im willing to take. I'm also considering putting in the EPS kit. Any opinions on that is also welcome.

Tom

·
Registered
494 Posts
Loud & hot? Almost normal. Rhinos emit a LOT of heat - one can either live with it or install an aftermarket heat blanket (not cheap but somewhat effective from what I've read on here). If the exhaust is excessively loud that may be the reason for the backfire on decel - look for an exhaust leak close to where the exhaust pipe enters the cylinder head. It's a good looking rig - what year is it?

EPS is cool - probably the last mod I'll ever consider doing (if Donald is dumb enough to send me another check LOL).

Oh, welcome to the forum! (y)

·
Holiday Winner!
576 Posts
Nice rig!
The doors look factory, they were added as a safety recall. The doors provide some protection by helping prevent folks from sticking their legs out during a roll over.
You can modify the intake to block the vent between the seats and quiet it down some. If you just block the vent it won't get the air it needs, but you can move the duct or just leave the cover off the air box. They only had the intake in the engine cover for a few years, for water crossings I like it because it makes it real easy to keep track of whether or not the intake is at risk of going underwater.
Exhaust leaks are a common cause for backfiring, but even after fixing my exhaust I still get a backfire every now and then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice rig!
The doors look factory, they were added as a safety recall. The doors provide some protection by helping prevent folks from sticking their legs out during a roll over.
You can modify the intake to block the vent between the seats and quiet it down some. If you just block the vent it won't get the air it needs, but you can move the duct or just leave the cover off the air box. They only had the intake in the engine cover for a few years, for water crossings I like it because it makes it real easy to keep track of whether or not the intake is at risk of going underwater.
Exhaust leaks are a common cause for backfiring, but even after fixing my exhaust I still get a backfire every now and then.
THanks. I thought about doing that when i had it all apart and chickened out. Time to pull it all apart again :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a '07 and get a lot of rattling and banging from the dump bed. It's a bit quieter when I have riders in the rear seat. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Regarding intake noise, I took out the snorkle between the top of the air box and the arm rest on the engine cover. I understand this may be how the first model year came from the factory. It makes a difference with the intake noise, but it will always be noisy. The later fuel injected models have the air intake under the hood and are supposed to be much quieter.

Another thing with that snorkle, it squeezes down in the middle, which restricts air flow. Maybe they did that to try and control noise. I don't know. But you get better airflow with the snorkle out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a Rhino for my wife and from the looks of it it has some mods. For the most part we're happy with it but there are some things i just cant tell if they are normal or not.

Mods I can easily see:
Custom Color Wrap
Bucket Sets
Doors
Rear cage
Lights
Winch
Wheels
Ignition Controller
Second battery Box.
Radio

The first thing i noticed was the machine is loud and hot in the cabin. I took out the engine cover and added insulation. It definitely help, but its still load and hot. I considered blocking the grill on the cover but was worried about airflow. I'm also considering one of those dust covers, but 200 bucks seems like a lot for a blanket.

The second issue is the rattles. I've already mentioned the insulation i added, and i installed some rubber bumpers ont he tailgate. My main concern which i cant tell if it a real problem or just typical for this machine is the clanking sounds on deceleration. From some google searches, it seems like it could be the boss, but i'm not a big fan of just randomly swapping out parts unless I'm sure. Is there any way to tell.

The last item is the backfiring when coming to a stop. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this because the machine runs pretty well otherwise.

If you are still reading, thanks. Any advice you have im willing to take. I'm also considering putting in the EPS kit. Any opinions on that is also welcome.

Tom View attachment 64695
First of all, Lucky Wife! That is super sweet design! I just bought me a silver one that looks a like like yours, same mods, back seat etc. My question for you, is do you happen to know where they ordered the soft top for it? Mine needs a new one, and since its a mod, I have no clue what other UTV has the same size cage. Any ideas?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Suzie, posts some pics of your Rhino - that will help others to come up with an answer to your rag top question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all, Lucky Wife! That is super sweet design! I just bought me a silver one that looks a like like yours, same mods, back seat etc. My question for you, is do you happen to know where they ordered the soft top for it? Mine needs a new one, and since its a mod, I have no clue what other UTV has the same size cage. Any ideas?
Suzie - Although it's nice for sun and light rain, i don't like the idea that the water puddles and drips into the machine while parked. I also don't know where they bought it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts