Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rhino 660
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that i will have several questions as i was given a 2004 Rhino 660 that runs and drives fine. But the only thing is that if you are creeping around the hot lite comes on and sometimes pushes coolant out. Fan runs the radiator has been cleaned hoses look good. looking for any suggestions to make sure that i dont have a major problem getting ready to happen. i have seen where people have the fan running all of the time seems crazy to do that if there is a problem. Any help or experiences would be great.
I also need to replace the seats as they are cracked and curling up any sugestions for this as well?

Thank you

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am sure that i will have several questions as i was given a 2004 Rhino 660 that runs and drives fine. But the only thing is that if you are creeping around the hot lite comes on and sometimes pushes coolant out. Fan runs the radiator has been cleaned hoses look good. looking for any suggestions to make sure that i dont have a major problem getting ready to happen. i have seen where people have the fan running all of the time seems crazy to do that if there is a problem. Any help or experiences would be great.
I also need to replace the seats as they are cracked and curling up any sugestions for this as well?

Thank you
No matter how clean you think you have the radiator, I will bet that it isn't clean enough. . Do not use high pressure water to wash it out. It gets mud in the fins and bakes it on to where it will not wash out. I fought the exact thing you mention when I bought my 2004 660 2 years ago. You need to get some of the stuff that is used to clean home ac units like this:

It will be tons better if you take the radiator out and soak it in this stuff. it's concentrated so follow the directions on mixture.

Video on taking out radiator to replace it:

I ended up putting a new fan with a shroud on my radiator. This worked great and is very easy The shroud forces the air through the radiator. The stock design without a shroud is TERRIBLE. most of the air goes around the radiator and then through the fan.

Also if you have the K&N style paper air filter replace it immediately. Use a foam filter and be sure to use foam filter oil. The K&N filter is designed for racing and lets more air in along with more dirt.

This place is great. A ton of useful info in the Tutorials section. Be sure to post any questions in the correct section so that they will get answered quicker.

·
Registered
2004 Rhino 660
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No matter how clean you think you have the radiator, I will bet that it isn't clean enough. . Do not use high pressure water to wash it out. It gets mud in the fins and bakes it on to where it will not wash out. I fought the exact thing you mention when I bought my 2004 660 2 years ago. You need to get some of the stuff that is used to clean home ac units like this:

It will be tons better if you take the radiator out and soak it in this stuff. it's concentrated so follow the directions on mixture.

Video on taking out radiator to replace it:

I ended up putting a new fan with a shroud on my radiator. This worked great and is very easy The shroud forces the air through the radiator. The stock design without a shroud is TERRIBLE. most of the air goes around the radiator and then through the fan.

Also if you have the K&N style paper air filter replace it immediately. Use a foam filter and be sure to use foam filter oil. The K&N filter is designed for racing and lets more air in along with more dirt.

This place is great. A ton of useful info in the Tutorials section. Be sure to post any questions in the correct section so that they will get answered quicker.
Thank you for the information. I took the radiator to the radiator shop we use at work and had them clean it and test it. looked at the water pump it looks ok , it still has the original fan on it so i will look at upgrading that. I will check out the air filter situation as well I am open to any suggestion's as I do not want to have any engine issues unless it has a gasket problem?

Thank you

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thank you for the information. I took the radiator to the radiator shop we use at work and had them clean it and test it. looked at the water pump it looks ok , it still has the original fan on it so i will look at upgrading that. I will check out the air filter situation as well I am open to any suggestion's as I do not want to have any engine issues unless it has a gasket problem?

Thank you
They make just the shroud which you can use with your current fan.

Below is the air filter I use. I used them when I raced motocross so I am familiar with them. Most people do not clean their air filter enough. The problem with the oiled filters that our Rhinos use is that the dirt that the filter and oil catches dries the oil out and that allows dirt to pass through the filter and into your motor. So check, clean and oil your filter often. If you do switch from the K&N style to the foam filter style, you will need to order the guide below:

K&N style filter = bad

UNI foam filter

guide

My next project is to run a snorkel from my air box intake so that it will be getting cleaner air. So much dust goes into the engine area that the filters get dirty quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts