Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm brand spanking new to the world of 4x4's. Have a 2009 Sport for use on the beach and the roads through the coconut plantations. I come from a Harley background of 48 years.

I was wondering if anyone knows the reason Yamaha has placed a speed limiter on it. I understand I can put a CDI on it to increase the rpm's to 8000. Is this a good operable rpm rate?

thanks

KK

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hello, I'm brand spanking new to the world of 4x4's. Have a 2009 Sport for use on the beach and the roads through the coconut plantations. I come from a Harley background of 48 years.

I was wondering if anyone knows the reason Yamaha has placed a speed limiter on it. I understand I can put a CDI on it to increase the rpm's to 8000. Is this a good operable rpm rate?

thanks

KK

welcome from so cal. if u get a cdi get a MSD since u have a 700. MSD works best with the 700's and Dynatek for the 660 & 450

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome from Benchmark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JohnnyJM84. Good advice. But first I'd like to know the reason Yamaha has placed a speed limiter on it in the first place.

It appears obvious the CDI you wont hurt the motor from the experience of riders who have them. It's probably not recommended by yamaha for warranty or liability reasons.

A yamaha person told me the reason there is a rev limiter is to keep the motor at a RPM that is not going to hurt the motor. Your collective experience negates this idea. He also said replacing the cdi will only get you about 2-3 more MPH and evaded the question as to speed. It's equally obvious people want it to be faster so why would Yamaha not address consumers concerns?

So again - why is it there in the first place?

barto

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome!!!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Liability is the reason it is governed. Also if you want more speed look into a new sheave or o.d. weights. Also welcome to the forum !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts