Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't have a picture, but saw one of these new LiFe batteries that out perform Odyssey or any other motorcycle/atv/utv battery at 1/3 the size and only 2 lbs!!!

They cost around $150.00 vs $160.oo for an odyssey, but shaving 30+ lbs off the rhino is a big deal. They have more cranking amps and more capacity too. You dont have to slow charge/trickle charge them either.

Fit 2 or 3 of them (havent checked yet to see how many can fit in a stock battery box yet) in your battery box and be less than 1/4 the weight of an odyssey and run all the lights you want without needing an alternator.

Anyway, thought I'd pass this along...

·
Registered
844 Posts
its probably a lithium polymer battery like we use in our rc helis , not lithium ion but polymer. Super light and super expensive and from the heli side they are super expensive and very unsafe to charge ......we need some more info.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
He made reference to THE PRO SHOP in Stanton, CA in another thread...

I googled them but didn't see that they have a website...may have missed it... :dunno:

If such a battery exists I am definitely interested in learning more about it...

---------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It is LiFe...not lipo. I have lipo's in my rc stuff and it is dangerous stuff if not handled properly. If you let lipo get below 3volts per cell then they can catch fire/explode. LiFe is safe and can be fast charged. The one I saw was purchased through the pro shop in stanton ca. Wish i had a picture and more info, but it's brand new space age technology stuff that just hit the market.

It will change the battery industry for sure....It DOES exist, lol..and it was one of Camshaws buddies that showed it to us.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Ahhhhh... I thought you were saying new life....

Li Fe battery ... I guess that changes everything... lol...

not to put too fine of a point on it but anything post 1960 is space age... :biggrin:

·
Registered
844 Posts
The lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery, also called LFP battery, is a type of rechargeable battery, specifically a lithium-ion battery, which uses LiFePO4 as a cathode material.

Google search...... just a different version of a lithium ion, not a polymer.....

lets keep this going very interesting

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Search Ballistic motorcycle batteries.

I was wrong on the weight...the 8 cell battery which puts out more cranking amps than 90% of all other m/c batteries only weighs 1lb 10oz.! Looks like you could fit 2 of them in stock battery location and they're $143.00 on bikebandit.com. Lots of other sites selling them btw. They also have 12 cell and 16 cell batteries which are more expensive , but have way more cranking amps and storage than stock. The 16 cell only weighs 3 lbs. and goes for $245 and is more than double the cranking amps(500 amps!) and double the storage while still being smaller than the stock batt.

The batteries have a 3 yr warranty....looks like good stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

go do a search for ballistic batterys, they are red in color with a black top,just installed one the otherday, light as hell,small as can be, will see how it does,standard charger works on them...

·
Registered
979 Posts
go do a search for ballistic batterys, they are red in color with a black top,just installed one the otherday, light as hell,small as can be, will see how it does,standard charger works on them...
Hey Cam let us know your opinion on that battery, maybe even start a new thread once you get some hours on it. Do you think there would be any problems with me running that new ballistic battery in parallel with my yellow top optima

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You can run it in parallel with any 12 volt battery as long as there's no parasitic drain on it. I would use an isolator. Also, you could try the 16 cell Ballistic (only weighs3 lbs)and probably do away with the optima.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
the bomb!

Ballistic performance components is the brand, good price link below...........

SpencerCycle.com - The Part's You Want At The Price's You Need!

..........I would only run these linked to the same brand battery in my opinion folks.......

used the twelve cell for 170 bucks,cranks my buddys big bore 840 rzr like it should........weights nothing,absolutely nothing....next battery is ballistic for sure if it lasts.........

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0QGNZwir4U

..........I would only run these linked to the same brand battery in my opinion folks.......

used the twelve cell for 170 bucks,cranks my buddys big bore 840 rzr like it should........weights nothing,absolutely nothing....next battery is ballistic for sure if it lasts.........

Nice job Cam...

I agree with you 100% that you should only parallel IDENTICAL batteries both in excellent condition...!

Most people want the higher capacity for deep-cycle for accessories... in which case the 16 cell would be the one to use... for comparison purposes the 925 is priced lower than the 12 cell with a little less CCA rating but with the same AH rating as the 16 cell ballistic...

Size and weight there is no comparison...the pc925 weighs 26 lbs...

IMO... the CCA is not a factor because all of them are more than enough so it's the $$$/AH and longevity that make or break it imo...

Very promising and if I were needing a new battery I would definitely consider getting one for sure...

The pc925 is still very competitive for rhino application IMO but if I had a bike or sport quad or snowmobile where weight is more of a factor I'd be all over the small one for $99 no question that is big winner...

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
It is LiFe...not lipo. I have lipo's in my rc stuff and it is dangerous stuff if not handled properly. If you let lipo get below 3volts per cell then they can catch fire/explode. LiFe is safe and can be fast charged. The one I saw was purchased through the pro shop in stanton ca. Wish i had a picture and more info, but it's brand new space age technology stuff that just hit the market.

It will change the battery industry for sure....It DOES exist, lol..and it was one of Camshaws buddies that showed it to us.

the lipos i bought says do not go below 3.5 volts per cell, 4.2 is full- is says 3.2-3.5 - lol

i run 2s and 3s lipo's they are badass for rc truck

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.