Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a 2005 rhino 660 last week. It has 180HRS and 260 miles.

It looked great when I saw it and only had the normal woods scrapes and such. It cranked up at the bump of the key. It has no smoke from tailpipe when hot or cold. I did notice it had a knocking from the clutch cover when first accelerating. I figured at the worse it would need a new primary clutch.

I took it to local Yamaha dealer friday and yesterday he called and said come down to the shop. The clutch has been filled with regular auto type grease and all the rollers have a flat spot on them. He said I will need the primary clutch replaced. He then showed me the left side(passenger) crank case. It has a place that has been welded and it also has a small leak. The oil is above the dipstick to the right up on the bottom 3-4 fins of the head He said he would see if the leak could be running down from the kawasaki oil filter which was the wrong filter. He told me I would need to buy both cases at 1000.00. He then suggested I buy my own parts.

After getting over my close heart attack I started searching for cheaper parts. Here's what I've found;

Ebay- primary clutch assembled and ready to install from Niche---150.00
Ebay- Fixed side sheave ---110.00
Ebay- right and left case from Niche---350.00

I'm glad the shop will let me buy my own parts. I don't want to show up with some parts missing.

If anyone would please advise me I'd appreciate it. I need to know if I need any seals/bearings/case gasket?... to go with the left case being replaced? Do I need any seals for the clutch or sheaves?

Thanks all, Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would call Todd at Hunterworks and get a primary and greaseless sheave from
Him. If you're gonna replace the primary you mine as well go greaseless and pay a little bit more now and it'll be the last one you buy. And has no maintence compared to a stock primary and having to grease the ramps, and rollers every now and than or after you get water in there. Hunterworks is all over this forum just search him on here and right in his signature is his number. He's a great guy to
Deal with and he's very intelligent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info I might try him for a clutch next time. With the money spent on the rhino plus all these repairs I've got to wait for custom stuff.
I find it hard to believe that this rhino with only 250 miles has a broken crank case and torn up clutch...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you man but you never know how it was ridden from the person before you.

Yep, that's true. He claimed he got it on trade from a fellow who did some hunting and drove it to the mailbox. It looked really good and the story sounded legit. I guess he could have hunted for mountain goats:frown:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a chance to go back to the yamaha dealer and I asked to see my rhino again. I took a flashlight and looked for the crack in the case. I did not find one and it looked to me like it was leaking from around the shifter housing. For a while they said "no there is only grease in there, you have a cracked case..."
I insisted that they warm it up after cleaning the area and show me the crack. They called me later at home and said it turned out to be the seal at the shifter housing. Now all I need is the primary clutch and regular service.
I really suspect they knew it was minor and were looking to make a big hit. My persistence prevailed and it saved me new cases and all that labor...
Maybe they were just too lazy to diagnose my rhino properly...

Either way, there's no excuse that I would accept.

·
Vendor
3,511 Posts
I had a chance to go back to the yamaha dealer and I asked to see my rhino again. I took a flashlight and looked for the crack in the case. I did not find one and it looked to me like it was leaking from around the shifter housing. For a while they said "no there is only grease in there, you have a cracked case..."
I insisted that they warm it up after cleaning the area and show me the crack. They called me later at home and said it turned out to be the seal at the shifter housing. Now all I need is the primary clutch and regular service.
I really suspect they knew it was minor and were looking to make a big hit. My persistence prevailed and it saved me new cases and all that labor...

Then with the money you saved, call me and get a machine sheave instead of another stock clutch.

Also, you got cases for $350 new? Yamaha?

Todd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Then with the money you saved, call me and get a machine sheave instead of another stock clutch.

Also, you got cases for $350 new? Yamaha?

Todd
Wow!...no comment on the way Yamaha treated me? Your not all yamaha techs here are ya?

As I wrote at the top of this thread...I was going to buy the ebay "Niche" brand cases. Both for 350.00 new. see link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2007-YAMAHA-RHINO-660-ENGINE-CRANKCASE-SET-LEFT-RIGHT-CASES-NEW-/331103905804?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1754a80c&vxp=mtr

I already bought the primary and fixed sheave before the advice to get your machined version. I would have bought yours but at that time I was thinking new cases and they were telling me at yamaha I should do a complete rebuild... Money was an object.

I used to be in various sales positions and when the service manager and tech were first telling me about all my serious troubles they were finishing each others sentences. They were also very cold and stern with answers to my questions. Even my wife said it seemed like they gave up on selling me a new motor after they realized I knew a bit about the rhino and demanded to see a crack.

I usually do all my own fluids and maintenance but I decided to save myself some grief and use the dealer this time.....never again.

·
Holiday Winner!
514 Posts
Are you doing the rest of the work yourself? I would not go back to that dealer, ever. The forum is great for do it yourself-ers. Almost anything you would want to do ha been discussed on the forum. If you get stuck there is usually someone who can point you in the right direction pretty quick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you doing the rest of the work yourself? I would not go back to that dealer, ever. The forum is great for do it yourself-ers. Almost anything you would want to do ha been discussed on the forum. If you get stuck there is usually someone who can point you in the right direction pretty quick.
Thanks, I was waiting for others to have a little anger like myself regarding the dealer. Most forums have a guru, I feared the guru here was Yamaha.

I am a hands on guy. I usually just fix/make anything I need. I decided that for once I would let the pros do the work. I didn't know they were going to try and stick me.

I'm supposed to take them the two halves of the clutch tuesday morning. They were going to install it with a new belt (100.00 for the belt) and change all the fluids/plug/adjust valves. I am still deciding if I have enough time to just do it myself.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

I just bought a 2005 rhino 660 last week. It has 180HRS and 260 miles.

It looked great when I saw it and only had the normal woods scrapes and such. It cranked up at the bump of the key. It has no smoke from tailpipe when hot or cold. I did notice it had a knocking from the clutch cover when first accelerating. I figured at the worse it would need a new primary clutch.

I took it to local Yamaha dealer friday and yesterday he called and said come down to the shop. The clutch has been filled with regular auto type grease and all the rollers have a flat spot on them. He said I will need the primary clutch replaced. He then showed me the left side(passenger) crank case. It has a place that has been welded and it also has a small leak. The oil is above the dipstick to the right up on the bottom 3-4 fins of the head He said he would see if the leak could be running down from the kawasaki oil filter which was the wrong filter. He told me I would need to buy both cases at 1000.00. He then suggested I buy my own parts.

After getting over my close heart attack I started searching for cheaper parts. Here's what I've found;

Ebay- primary clutch assembled and ready to install from Niche---150.00
Ebay- Fixed side sheave ---110.00
Ebay- right and left case from Niche---350.00

I'm glad the shop will let me buy my own parts. I don't want to show up with some parts missing.

If anyone would please advise me I'd appreciate it. I need to know if I need any seals/bearings/case gasket?... to go with the left case being replaced? Do I need any seals for the clutch or sheaves?

Thanks all, Dan
Dan,

Do you have a link to where you found the case for $350? I need a new case for my 2005 Rhino 660.

Thanks,

Brent

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
That post was from 6 years ago. Cases are no longer in production and used ones have started drying up unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts