Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, just bought me a 2008 Yamaha Rhino 700 special edition, and it drove great first week out. Next ride, battery died, looked like it was old, so I replaced with a new battery. Ran great, for a day, same issue, dying after riding for 10 mins. Does it sound like an alternator issue? And how can I check it to see if it is the alternator before ordering one? Also, the previous owner did put a street legal kit on it, I notice the horn goes really faint after driving a few mins?? Odd...sign that somethings sucking too much from battery? Any comments or answers? I'm just an ole 55 yr old lady and my son lives far away, need all you men out there to help me out please? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Welcome to the site "55 year old lady" - you'll catch up to me in about 21 years (that's if I'm willin to drop dead at this moment... Let's think about something else LOL). What we know at the moment is that your battery is obviously not charging. Likely culprit is a bad stator (alternator) but you got a mess of wiring between the battery and the stator that "could" be faulty. Can those "old" eyes read a wiring schematic :unsure:? Before we get too technical pop the hood and give your wiring harness a good look-see for possible rodent damage - rats love chewing on wire insulation which is why you don't want to keep your Rhino on the ground (trailer much better - garage better yet if possible). Go down to your local Wally World and buy yourself a cheap digital voltmeter ($10-$30). With engine running check voltage at battery - should be around 12.5 to 14.2 volts. Ok, so likely your voltage will be under 12 since the battery keeps dyeing. While you are watching the voltage (engine running) have someone start wiggling all the wires in and around the battery area while you diligently monitor the voltmeter for any sudden changes. If voltage spikes during this process then you may have found the issue. If no change in voltage reading and the wiring looks okay then now we have to get a little more technical. There is a way to check stator resistance, with that multi-meter you just bought, but lets do the inspection and wiggle test the wires first.

Always look for the simple (and cheap) things first. Let us know what you come up with. You can ask Mr. Google if he can find you a free wiring schematic to download - that will be helpful if we have to get "technical". If luck is on your side it could be something as simple as a fuse/circuit breaker or relay. How is the overall condition of the Rhino - was it ever used as a submarine (intentionally)?

Good luck.
Old Guy - Central FL

·
Registered
502 Posts
I didn't know there were so many young girls on this forum or I would have joined earlier ..... Like sandbuster said it is either the stator, BUT MOST LIKELY you have a wiring problem, I think you have a short drawing the battery down that quick .... even with no stator, you should be able to ride all day!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello, don't know about the 700 as i have a 660 but om mine the battery is fully charged it shows 12.7 amps . with a fully charged battery and a good OEM stator and regulator at idle it should be 13.1 amps at idle . if your battery is only showing 12.7 at idle then your stator is mostly bad. with a fully charged battery and a stator that is burnt up like mine was i could run about 45 minutes before the Rhino shut down and died .. as far as drawing amps , you fan is what draws the most and it draws 7 amps when it's on and running , all of your lights are only 2 amps . if you don't know are unable to run the checks on the system then you should ask a friend , only let people that Know what they are doing check out the Rhino , you don't need some one to halfass the system for you. if you can't locate anyone then you should list your state as you may have a fellow Rhino owner that is close and willing to help you out ..

Jake

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the site "55 year old lady" - you'll catch up to me in about 21 years (that's if I'm willin to drop dead at this moment... Let's think about something else LOL). What we know at the moment is that your battery is obviously not charging. Likely culprit is a bad stator (alternator) but you got a mess of wiring between the battery and the stator that "could" be faulty. Can those "old" eyes read a wiring schematic :unsure:? Before we get too technical pop the hood and give your wiring harness a good look-see for possible rodent damage - rats love chewing on wire insulation which is why you don't want to keep your Rhino on the ground (trailer much better - garage better yet if possible). Go down to your local Wally World and buy yourself a cheap digital voltmeter ($10-$30). With engine running check voltage at battery - should be around 12.5 to 14.2 volts. Ok, so likely your voltage will be under 12 since the battery keeps dyeing. While you are watching the voltage (engine running) have someone start wiggling all the wires in and around the battery area while you diligently monitor the voltmeter for any sudden changes. If voltage spikes during this process then you may have found the issue. If no change in voltage reading and the wiring looks okay then now we have to get a little more technical. There is a way to check stator resistance, with that multi-meter you just bought, but lets do the inspection and wiggle test the wires first.

Always look for the simple (and cheap) things first. Let us know what you come up with. You can ask Mr. Google if he can find you a free wiring schematic to download - that will be helpful if we have to get "technical". If luck is on your side it could be something as simple as a fuse/circuit breaker or relay. How is the overall condition of the Rhino - was it ever used as a submarine (intentionally)?

Good luck.
Old Guy - Central FL
Hi Old Guy !
Great advise and I enjoy your humor..LOL...I will definitely check all the above soon when I get some help. My Son was saying over the phone too almost the same as you did above, so hoping I can check the stator without having to remove anything. I will keep you posted and appreciate all your help! And Yes, it's garaged, but not sure about previous owner and if it went swimming or not. The engine is newly replaced, but Son was saying they wouldnt have replaced the stator. Overall condition is really good with having a new engine installed. Will keep in touch and thank you Old Guy from Florida!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dang, old guy should be in bed to get all the beauty sleep he can muster up, as a bunch of us local geezers are heading out to our local water hole ( nope, not a saloon - that comes after 9..) to get a little throttle time chasin gators & snakes (God yes we se em but not always intentionally - hell, never intentionally! Anyway, our often (too few) trips helps to fend off encroaching arthritis and allows us a laugh or two while trying to act like we thought we did back in them good ole days - God, I miss em. Look for the videos - if I remember where I put the old 35mm camera and the 14 cans of film that goes with it...

Have yourself a great day and good luck in your troubleshooting skills - hope it all works out. Got to go out now and bring ole Betsy outta the pasture to sweet talk her into once again performing for me tomorrow. 🔨🔧💣 - she ain't quite as old as I am but like most old ladies she likes to be sweet talked a bit before making any demands on her - ya know polishing up her lights, checking her dipstick and making sure she has enough nourishment for the demands I will place on her tomorrow - and that's just to get her sorry ass up on the trailer.... I do love her though, she has never failed to get me home and give me a good time - even if it was only for a half hour.😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG! You are hilarious! So nice to know that there are still good, happy, positive people out there in this life!! So tired of all the negative this world is bringing us, but nothing better than to have a true fun conversation from one outdoors enthusiast to another! I'm so jealous of your gator chasing! I'd absolutely love that! I have an ole Betsy out in the pasture too!, but her names Bella and she IS a four legged quarter horse, along with her best friend Pebbles the mini horse, and YES they are quite demanding too! They may not accept the new Rhino to the farm as well as my 4 doggies, but they will have to just deal. Yes, my 4 pups all ride in my Rhino...atleast on the 2 rides I've got to attempt so far, and they love it! So, you Want to make a quick trip out to Utah to help this little ole lady out? Only a hop skip and a jump...over a few states...Lol, but I imagine I will have to attempt my Rhino project on my own, I do have a son in law that will help, but your advise is GREATLY appreciated because he's not as familiar with side by sides as he is bikes. You have a great day Sandbuster and I'll keep you posted on my 'project'! 🐊🐍🐎🐕🐕🐕🐕:LOL::ROFLMAO::giggle:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hmm, Utah eh? I think there's a place called MOAB that has been drawing on my heart strings for years - watched countless Youtubes on that area. Been as far West as Florence Oregon on the coastal dunes and pretty much everything south of there including Glamis (what a ride that is).. How I got stuck in Florida with no mountains nearby is beyond me.. If I ever muster up the giddi-up & go I would love to pay a visit to Utah - one of the few states I haven't foot in. Oh wait, I have been there - place called Salt Lake City - ever hear of it :giggle:?

You gotta be an ok person yourself - anyone with a passion for horses & dogs is my kind of people. Good luck with the Rhino & keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG! Moab is the BEST and most gorgeous riding around. But I'd have to say that St.George, Sand Hollow is even better. It's about 4 hours South of SLC. I'm up North from SLC, a lot of mountains and riding trails gallore! So, as for my Rhino, I took the big leap to take my sons advise, via youtube vids and texting me all day, but I did find that my stator is bad, so I'm actually trying to take off the cover, drain coolant, drain oil, replace with a new stator...ugh, did I really sign up for this??? I have blown up my sons phone all day with pics of contraptions, bolts, hoses and alot of WTF's ?? So far, I have got all bolts removed from the case, took off hoses, drained coolant...and I'm still alive to tell about it!! I'm quitting for today, had enough! But how do I drain the oil? I can't get to the underneath due to the big skid plate...? Any advise?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Suzie - if you haven't already done so, check out the youtube video below - it doesn't look like you have to access from the bottom. You're correct in draining the oil. The big take-away from all this is the learning experience and your initiative to "git-r-done" - way to go girl!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Downy dryer sheets will keep mice, rats, squirrels from chewing on your wires. stick several them all around the wiring. I don't know how it works. Our hunting camp is in the Mississippi river swamps and we have lots of mice, rats, squirrels and other creatures including snakes that like to get in the vehicles and cause havoc. Someone one there told me about it. We put them in our truck engine compartments as well as on our ATVs and Rhinos and Rangers. No problems with wiring since we started using the sheets about 15 years ago and it used to always be a problem.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely try it. Those dryer sheets are also good at removing bugs from the front of your car - like the love bugs we see in Florida a couple times a year.

·
Registered
501 Posts
OMG! Moab is the BEST and most gorgeous riding around. But I'd have to say that St.George, Sand Hollow is even better. It's about 4 hours South of SLC. I'm up North from SLC, a lot of mountains and riding trails gallore! So, as for my Rhino, I took the big leap to take my sons advise, via youtube vids and texting me all day, but I did find that my stator is bad, so I'm actually trying to take off the cover, drain coolant, drain oil, replace with a new stator...ugh, did I really sign up for this??? I have blown up my sons phone all day with pics of contraptions, bolts, hoses and alot of WTF's ?? So far, I have got all bolts removed from the case, took off hoses, drained coolant...and I'm still alive to tell about it!! I'm quitting for today, had enough! But how do I drain the oil? I can't get to the underneath due to the big skid plate...? Any advise?
Look for a small opening in the skid plate - if you got the right opening the drain plug will be directly above it.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I have done moab a couple times, done sand hollow, st george but for me marysvale in the mountians is the place for me. Will b in moab again in march had to cancel this march because of covid, but we are taking the jeep in march not the rhino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look for a small opening in the skid plate - if you got the right opening the drain plug will be directly above it.
Help Sandbuster!!! So...I'm in the process of pulling off the case cover, all bolts out, hose removed, and I can get it about 1/4 off but the bottom half is being a bugger! I'm trying my best to pull it off straight, but the bottom portion wont cooperate:( Any advice? It's holding back down by the water pump and I know it's magnetic, but it just won't work with me:(

·
Registered
501 Posts
Oh Suzie, don't know if I've "been there - done that".. :confused: Not being able to actually have hands-on, I'm not sure what to tell ya. There's a lot of folks following this thread so I hope one of them chimes in with something useful for you.

Come on guys, the lady needs some help here and I'm not sure what to tell her - but somebody out there who has recently done this could be a big help. In the meantime I'll do a little research of my own and see if I can come up with anything. Right now Suzie, just go an enjoy a beverage of choice and all will be better soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh Suzie, don't know if I've "been there - done that".. :confused: Not being able to actually have hands-on, I'm not sure what to tell ya. There's a lot of folks following this thread so I hope one of them chimes in with something useful for you.

Come on guys, the lady needs some help here and I'm not sure what to tell her - but somebody out there who has recently done this could be a big help. In the meantime I'll do a little research of my own and see if I can come up with anything. Right now Suzie, just go an enjoy a beverage of choice and all will be better soon.
Thanks Sandbuster! And yes, the wine is in hand as we speak:ROFLMAO: But I totally understand if you havent removed one before, it definitely is a hands on deal. I'm going to watch the video again, but damn, he makes some steps look so easy! Maybe I need to start drinking my wine 'before' I start wrenching !! 🤪

·
Registered
501 Posts
Highly recommend one or two PRIOR to "hands-on" - it may not serve to be any more effective but you won't give a cr## if you run into challenges... Are you doing the wiggle dance with the cover as you're trying to pull it off - like a little side-to-side motion. If all else fails go ahead and do a little cussin as you're trying to pull it off.. oh, you done did that already? That's all the magic tips I know of :unsure:...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have attached a service manual for a 660. It might help you out. There is more to check than just the stator. As has been mentioned check the wiring over well. Connections at all terminals. Does the battery hold charge if it's left alone and has been fully charged? Have you jump started it? It has a rectifier that's remote mounted to the stator. It is diodes which convert the AC discharge from the stator into DC voltage. Jump starting and accidentally hooking the cables up backwards(reverse polarity) can wipe the diodes out. You seem pretty sharp on this so I doubt that is the case. I would check the rectifier just the same. You can do that with your multi meter. They should flow one direction but not the other. I also wonder if something that was added is overwhelming the charging system. Even if the charging system wasn't charging at all you should get more than 10 minutes on a good fully charged battery. Keep us posted and good luck.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts