Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rhino and mods are in sig. Ive got about 3000 miles on the rhino now and it appears to be using oil. I cant tear into it until spring since i use it for pushing snow, but when the snow is done i'm planning on tearing it down. Its mainly used for work, but i do go riding with some newer rhinos and its lacking power even with my mods. Im looking for a nice power increase but not wild enough to sacrifice usability and reliability. With that said, what do you all recommend with my rebuild? Im thinking 686 kit, stage 1 or 2 cam, exhaust, re-jet carb, upgrade or replace valve springs and maybe a ported head?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Rhino and mods are in sig. Ive got about 3000 miles on the rhino now and it appears to be using oil. I cant tear into it until spring since i use it for pushing snow, but when the snow is done i'm planning on tearing it down. Its mainly used for work, but i do go riding with some newer rhinos and its lacking power even with my mods. Im looking for a nice power increase but not wild enough to sacrifice usability and reliability. With that said, what do you all recommend with my rebuild? Im thinking 686 kit, stage 1 or 2 cam, exhaust, re-jet carb, upgrade or replace valve springs and maybe a ported head?
I agree with Nate, that is a pretty good plan. If we can help when you're ready, give us a call.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is a noob question, but will my top speed increase much or just get there a little quicker? It used to do 60 mph (stock tires, no windshield etc), down hill, wind at your back on pavement and it took awhile to get there lol. I never cruise that fast, but since we can drive it on our roads here it would be nice to jump up to 50-55 as needed to keep out of traffic. Can this all be done with shipping parts back and forth or do i need to send my complete engine off? I'd rather do some of the work myself to save a few bucks. Im not a small engine mechanic but work on diesel engines alot, have plenty of tools and anything i dont have can be had off the weekly snap on truck!

Nate, i have noticed that your kit you linked to is very complete but there's a few things i may not need? I already have the intake, sheave and CDI- can those be removed from the kit to save a few bucks or should i go with the MSD and the different sheave? I like the complete kit though, saves me from piecing everything together which is especially good since im not real familiar with all the parts and pieces yet. One last question, if this setup is properly a/f tuned what kind of hp can one expect and where does a stockish 660 dyno at? Just wanting to see how much i would gain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts