Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading different threrads about this topic but i didnt find someone who has or had the same issue. This weekend i had been riding my Rhino when i decided to turn on the 4WD so i didnt stop i just put the gas pedal out and press the 4WD switch and it worked fine, so after 30 seconds i wanted to put it back to 2WD so i did the same but oh oh! surprise it didnt goes out. So with the car off i tried it again (press the button a put it in the 2WD possition) and I notice that the Relays switch and the Servo starts working but the 4WD signal does not turn off so i had to put it back to the 4WD possition to make the servo stop.

Thanks for your time, any help will be apreciated.

Guillermo Calderon R.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Did you try putting rhino in forward and or reverse and slowly move rhino to see if the front diff will disengage? I have to do that to mine to get it to work sometimes. I guess you know your supposed to stop first now. ;) if this doesn't work you may have to take apart solenoid motor on front diff and see if you damaged it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did you try putting rhino in forward and or reverse and slowly move rhino to see if the front diff will disengage? I have to do that to mine to get it to work sometimes. I guess you know your supposed to stop first now. ;) if this doesn't work you may have to take apart solenoid motor on front diff and see if you damaged it.
Thanks, I have a couple of questiones

1. How do I see if the front diff desengage??
Do i putt in forward or reverse with the switch on 4WD or 2WD?
2. Can you send me the ebay item o f the solenoid??
is this one?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Sol...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7ad360c9&vxp=mtr

Im new on this and I really want to learn cause i love it and my mechanic is taking me to ruin

pst: I put 4WD running because a friend of my said to me that it was ok :( :( i hope the solenoid has no damage

Thanks!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've always just put it in 4WD while riding as I come up on a big hill and it's always worked. I've always stopped tho to put it in low gear and lock the diff. I've never had a problem. once in a while it took maybe a quarter mile before the indicator light would go off after going back into 2WD. I thought it was 4WD on the fly system. I guess I was wrong but it works. Should I not do that?http://www.rhinoforums.net/smilies/fingersx.gif

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I have a couple of questiones

1. How do I see if the front diff desengage??
Do i putt in forward or reverse with the switch on 4WD or 2WD?
2. Can you send me the ebay item o f the solenoid??
is this one?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Sol...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7ad360c9&vxp=mtr

Im new on this and I really want to learn cause i love it and my mechanic is taking me to ruin

pst: I put 4WD running because a friend of my said to me that it was ok :( :( i hope the solenoid has no damage

Thanks!!
Bummppppppp!!

Enviado desde mi U9200 usando Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
74 Posts
what he was saying is put the rhino in 2wd and (the switch in 2wd anyway) and drive forward and reverse a few feet...see if it pops it out of 4wd that way. I have had mine hang in 4wd when hauling a VERY heavy load once but as soon as i backed up it went back to 2wd like it was supposed to.

Also you can see if its engaged by jacking the rhino up and spinning the wheels. If the front wheels are locked to turn when the rears are then its still in 4wd.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what he was saying is put the rhino in 2wd and (the switch in 2wd anyway) and drive forward and reverse a few feet...see if it pops it out of 4wd that way. I have had mine hang in 4wd when hauling a VERY heavy load once but as soon as i backed up it went back to 2wd like it was supposed to.

Also you can see if its engaged by jacking the rhino up and spinning the wheels. If the front wheels are locked to turn when the rears are then its still in 4wd.
Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks

It works perfect, thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you. Glad to hear it's working now :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys, my rhino is working fine now but it stills having an issue with the 4WD/2WD... When I put it in 4WD and the put it back to 2WD (without moving the Rhino) it goes back as it is supposed but when I drive it it does not goes back to 2WD as it is supposed i have to drive reverse a couple feets to go it back to 2WD... ALWAYS... What do you think i can do??

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's normal for the 4wd to run in a little bit of a bind, especialy on hard ground or if tires are slightly offsize or inflated differently front/back. I've had old jeeps and Bronco's do same thing, have to back up to unload the gears to unlock hubs. I drive mine shift on the fly sometimes and it may take a minute to pop out of 4wd.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys, i still having this issue but this time it got worst i was in a ride (mud) and the diff lock gots stuck for a long time... Yesterday I jacked the rhino up, alignend it, did some test to the steering and then started it and moved back to the left and it did sound hard, yeah!! The diff lock got dissengaged but now it is in 4WD and does goes out even if i move back forward.. any advise??? Thanks

PST: sorry if my english is bad

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think start with the basics. Jack it up so tires are off ground. Try to shake each axle and the drive shaft to check diff bearings for slop. Spin tires and listen/feel if anthing is in a bind or dragging. Even a wheel bearing going bad may cause issue. while up have someone push 4wd and loc buttons and listen to solenoid operation (Should take couple of seconds and cycle good, they can get weak). If you haven't already done so, change diff oil and use the recommended oil (If it's used in mud someone may have put real heavy oil or even grease in diff).

Those steps should help and they only cost oil and a few minutes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think start with the basics. Jack it up so tires are off ground. Try to shake each axle and the drive shaft to check diff bearings for slop. Spin tires and listen/feel if anthing is in a bind or dragging. Even a wheel bearing going bad may cause issue. while up have someone push 4wd and loc buttons and listen to solenoid operation (Should take couple of seconds and cycle good, they can get weak). If you haven't already done so, change diff oil and use the recommended oil (If it's used in mud someone may have put real heavy oil or even grease in diff).

Those steps should help and they only cost oil and a few minutes.
Hi doughjk,

Just today i did this things but I have bad news, it did not work, i checked the diff oil a couple weeks ago (When i was trying to disengage diff lock) and I filled it (I use SAE 90 from Texaco), when i was spinning the tires i can hear something dragging but im wondering is it is normal so i recorded a video, i would be thankful if you watch it and hear if is it sounds how it is supposed to (you should use headphones).. thanks a lot man!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts