Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm need to get a new set of tires for my Rhino 700 SE and am having trouble deciding. I don't have much experience with aftermarket tires and this will be my first set. I live in northern MN and most of my riding is around our hunting shack where we have hard packed trails with many swamps to get through. I'm looking for a tire that will drive nice on the trails and be able to pull me through some nasty swamps. I also don't want to make any modifications to the rhino if at all possible. I have narrowed my choices down to three.

Zillas (27" they run small) - These seem like the perfect tire, light with an aggressive tread pattern. My biggest concern is the overall strength of this tire. With it being a lightweight tire how will it hold up on a heavy side by side?

Mudlite XTR (26") - I like the idea of these radials, but am concerned about mud performance and sidewall strength. I have read complaints on the web about thin sidewalls and rough trail riding. Also, this tire does seem to be a bit on the heavy side, will I notice a difference over the stock rhino setup?

Outlaw MST (26") - I don't know much about these tires so they are sort of a wildcard for me. I have heard great things about the original outlaws performance in mud and tire strength. How heavy are these tires? Are they any good compared to the others mentioned?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You are right about toughness vs weight...

Smallest, lightest tires that will do the job are best for a rhino imo...

You also have to consider the trade-offs of flotation in mud/snow/sand against steering and handling...

You also have to consider aggressiveness vs smooth ride on hard pack, gravel and pavement...

No perferct answer...

I will say this about that tho... :lol:

IMO... it is not the end of the world to rip up a tire...performance is usually a priority for me...

To that end... a fatter tire with good flotation (usually light with softer sides) with a good directional steering tread is best...and if you have the same size on all fours replacing torn tires is less of a problem...as well as carrying a spare...

Additionally...I have driven many miles through desert on rocks and in snow and mud too with tires that were shredded and often at speeds in the 25-30 mph range on ITP c-7 12" wheels and re-used the wheels...

The fattest 26" Mudlite XTR (accurately sized by ITP) on beadlock rims would be something I would lean to if it were me...

Not saying that is what you should get tho...

And you ask all the right questions imo.... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had 25" zilla's on my rhino for 4 to 5 months and put 5 or 6 holes in them from rocks on the side walls. they are a very light tire but also thin but did do a decent job in the mud. i just replace them with 27" swamp lites and they do much better job on my rhino.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really starting to like the XTRs. Now I need to decide which size.

26 with 12" SS108 wheels
or
27 with 14" SS108 wheels

Is the extra traction worth the added weight of a 27" setup?

·
Registered
50 Posts
the ITP Mudlite will crack arround the front of the lugs causing the tire to seperate or leak air. All 5 rhino's that i service for the local oil company have the same problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well they also have 2 prowlers that run that tire and with the stickey clay mud we have they work good. But with the added weight they have had 2 rear tires that started leaking air arround the lugs. These tires showed wear on the inside of the tire. The tire shop said to run maxx air pressure so the lugs wouldnt flex so much on the face of the tire.

I still have to build my engine before i look for tires. I like the maxxis big horn's they look cool.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If i had to choose it is between the ITP baja cross or the swamp lite. I have used the swamp lite on my uncles atv and they dig nice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sedona Rip Saws

This may not work for you but I have a set for Sedona Rip Saws. I was giving them hell all over the desert last weekend , they handled EVERYTHING I threw at them! They kick ASS! I even took a nail and in the left rear and didn't lose ANY pressure!

·
Registered
170 Posts
XTR s hands down for the riding you describe. i have silverbacks for spring xtrs for summer and terra crosses for the fall and winter. my opinion is xtrs are a top pick for sure

·
Registered
170 Posts
conrad01 i had two sets of itp tires do that also. i sent pictures and they sent me new tires within a week. the new ones never have leaked again. is that a common problem with itp? the way it sounded on the phone they never had seen it before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will be ordering the XTRs tomorrow, so now it just comes down to size. I have pricing for the 26" with a 12" wheel or the 27" with a 14" wheel. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
170 Posts
do 27s they fit fine and almost same price. there is alot more selection of mud tires in 12 inch rims than 14s if your ever going to make that jump

·
Banned
93 Posts
IMHO I would go with 26" zilla's....I ride rocks,hardpack,and mud(SW Ohio clay) and have had no problems with strength or performance,plus I get a decent ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts