Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For what it's worth I thought it would be helpful to do a small review on the STM stuff I bought.

First things first, if you are running a BBK on your rotax and your using a Dalton kit on a stock clutch, STOP! The STM kicks the **** out of the stock stuff. I had no intensions of running a rage 8, but could not pass up the deal on them. Rage 8 truly is overkill for my 912cc but it certainly is not hurting things. The clutch still requires lots of tuning and even so it had transformed my machine into a rocket.

As of now I'm running 2 grams of weight at the heel on the supertip arms with the small arms having no weight at all. Using a gold EPI primary spring, which I think will get swapped for a red spring to lower my engagement (1900-2100) as of now I'm seeing 2600. The STM driven has a 45 helix and yellow spring. I'm also using a 302 BRP belt.

When the car hooks in the dirt it is all I can do to control it. I run single track through the desert, seeing speeds from 5mph to 70mph. So having the car hook hard and quick is needed. I wish everyone could drive my machine, it is a blast to drive with the STM setup! It will be better as I play with weights and springs. Not to mention I'm still not tuned at 13:1 AFR. If you can afford it, BUY STM!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I did the STM secondary and then the CV-Tech primary on my 840 kit but I still have some motor tuning to do and the weather is just killing me on the weekends. I never really had a chance to a comparison with a dalton kit on mine so until I line up with to a similar machine with a different primary Im not gonna know what Im missing out on if anything.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to get the clutch dialed then off to the dyno. I'm leaving a lot on the table as far as power goes, my AFR numbers are super rich.

I have heard the cvtech stuff works well.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I need to get the clutch dialed then off to the dyno. I'm leaving a lot on the table as far as power goes, my AFR numbers are super rich.

I have heard the cvtech stuff works well.
Yeah thats kinda the same way Im looking at it, every ones machine is always gonna be different and Im hoping my setup treats me well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sounds like you have made some progress. Cant wait to see where you end up at with your final tunimg. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just put on my rage 6 and tuner secondary today. I agree it does hook well. It was raining today and I was testing my 300ft on pavement. I could not hook up at all in 2wd so I did not get any times. With my old intake setup and stock clutching I was at a 6.19 sec 300ft at 50-51 mph. My under hood setup cost me a second and 1 mph. I am running at 12.2 afr. You are trying to tune for 13 to 1? According to aerocharger that is on the lean side..

A guideline for Air/Fuel Ratios:​
10 Rich Low power Black Smoke
11 Rich
11.2 OK
11.5 Best Torque
11.8 Safe Best Power
12.2 Safe Best Power
12.5 Safe
13.2 Lean
14 Very Lean
14.7 Very Lean​
15.4 Danger at Wide Open Throttle

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know the STM is a great clutch but the average guy cant tune one to its potential. I know some pretty good tuners that gave up and are now running the CvTech. I am not a top notch tuner so I also went with the CvTech primary and machined secondary on my bikes and there just awesome. I am going to try the STM secondary on my race/nos bike next season. I was also wondering what your trying to get your tune too? I run my 13.5-1 mud bike at 12.4 AFR

·
Registered
227 Posts
Since you dont have any pics on this thread yet. This is a rage 6 and tuner secondary.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
12:4 would be awesome. I bought the STM Rage 8 for the same price as the cvtech, I like the customer service of STM and the durability. It will take some time but once one of us gets the rage 8 tuned we can all run of it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I just put on my rage 6 and tuner secondary today. I agree it does hook well. It was raining today and I was testing my 300ft on pavement. I could not hook up at all in 2wd so I did not get any times. With my old intake setup and stock clutching I was at a 6.19 sec 300ft at 50-51 mph. My under hood setup cost me a second and 1 mph. I am running at 12.2 afr. You are trying to tune for 13 to 1? According to aerocharger that is on the lean side..

A guideline for Air/Fuel Ratios:​
11 Rich
11.2 OK
11.5 Best Torque
11.8 Safe Best Power
12.2 Safe Best Power
12.5 Safe
13.2 Lean
14 Very Lean
14.7 Very Lean​
That guide pushes everything towards the rich side in my opinion, for a naturally aspirated engine. Aerocharger is forced induction, I would bet they are referencing tuning guides for their kits.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good luck with that gates belt, let me know how it's doing for you.

Its what STM sells so I would have to assume it will work. Only belt I have seen that does not have a directional arrow on it?

·
Registered
227 Posts

A guideline for Air/Fuel Ratios:
11 Rich
11.2 OK
11.5 Best Torque
11.8 Safe Best Power
12.2 Safe Best Power
12.5 Safe
13.2 Lean
14 Very Lean
14.7 Very Lean

That guide pushes everything towards the rich side in my opinion, for a naturally aspirated engine. Aerocharger is forced induction, I would bet they are referencing tuning guides for their kits.

I would tend to agree with you. Do you have a NA chart that you reference?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.