Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a whole lot of research, I finally ordered all of my stereo parts and got them installed. Here is a list of my parts and costs:

Cadence SQA-4 4-channel marine amp, 60W RMS, 200W RMS bridged $71.00
Polk DB651 6.5" speakers, pair $99.00
PAC-LC1 volume control, $15.00
Dual auxiliary 3.5mm input, $11.00
Speaker wire, $18.00
Steel, $20.00
Illuminated marine grade rocker switch, $23.00
Dog bowls, pair, $7.00
Misc hardware, $20.00
Shipping charges, $7.00
12' 6 guage wire, free
8' 12 gauge wire, free
Misc electrical connections, free
8' RCA cable, free
Zip ties, free

My total cost was right around $300.00. I only used 2 channels on the amp so that I can add an 6.5" shallow mount subwoofer at a later date. I got the dog bowl idea from seeing pictures of another members install here. Everything I listed as free were parts I already had. It turned out extremely well. I only have a few minor things left to do, such as putting wire loom on the exposed speaker wires. It took a lot of planning and research, but I think it was worth it. Here are some pictures :)

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i like the dog bowl idea can you give more info like where you bought them and what size they are?
I bought them at Bi Mart. HERE is exactly what they are. I used size large, which was pretty much a perfect fit for the 6.5's I used. They did require a bit of modification to make them work, just a little bit of grinding and sanding to remove some unwanted lips and edges.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looks great!! The only thing that has made me hesitate on installing one was about the amp getting wet and dusty. With it being a Marine amp is it totally water proof? I'm kind of a freak and wash mine after every trip, how do you prevent it from getting too wet? Everyone has to wash their Rhino every now and then....right? Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great!! The only thing that has made me hesitate on installing one was about the amp getting wet and dusty. With it being a Marine amp is it totally water proof? I'm kind of a freak and wash mine after every trip, how do you prevent it from getting too wet? Everyone has to wash their Rhino every now and then....right? Thanks
Yeah, the marine amp is NOT waterproof (at least to my knowledge it isn't), it is merely corrosion and vibration resistant. My next mini project is to make a cover for the amp. I intend to use some .125" thick rubber pond liner that I have laying around to slip loosely over the top of it. I intend to do that mod real soon, like tomorrow or the next day. I have been concerned about water since day one, but was having a difficult time visualizing a solution without the amp installed. Now that it is in, it is much easier to see what I am up against. I am much less concerned about washing it, as I could just simply put a plastic bag over it for cleaning. I am more concerned about rain and puddles splashing through one of the numerous holes. especially the huge hole for the door catch.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sounds just like the same concerns I had. Please post a pic of that cover when you get it on. I like the way it all came out. Good job, very clean.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a pic of the right side speaker. Both speaker enclosures are held on by four 8-32 bolts with ny-lock nuts. The mounting surface between the enclosure and the Rhino is sealed by black silicone caulking. The speaker wire is also sealed with the caulk.

I have also included an updated picture of the enclosure. It shows how I ground down the side of it so that it would tuck into the corner of the rhino a little more. It also shows how I ground down the lip of the outer most edge to streamline it a little more. Also, the new picture shows satin paint. I started out with flat, but it was too dull and did not match at all. Then I went to gloss and it just screamed "Look at me!" The satin seems to blend the best of the three.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same setup. I put my amp in a rubbermaid container. Have not had any heat issues at all. I can hose it down all I want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used a non marine amp I got from walmart, the whole outer shell of the amp was the heat sink and was solid cast aluminum so I just caulked up the back plate and all the connections and It has held up really well. I have even had it under water a time or two! I had 2 10s 4 6 1/2s and a 1000 watt sony amp on my old 660 rhino and I put it through a lot of abuse! The sound was incredible!

All in all I guess It took me about 3 days to install, had to make a box, mount everything, run wires cut holes, etc. But the end result was pretty cool. I had the two woofers and two of the 6 1/2s overhead and had to raise the plastic top a few inches to make it work! The end result was a lot of good sound coming form what looked like a normal rhino. It drew a crowd everytime we rode! The big box mounted overhead was mostly hidden from the top so at first glance you would never expect that there was that much audio in it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Where do I get these parts?
PAC-LC1 volume control, $15.00
Dual auxiliary 3.5mm input, $11.00

And is anything else but the RCA needed to hook it to the amp???
HERE

and

HERE

You need 2 RCA cables, one from the Dual input to the PAC-LC1, and one from the PAC-LC1 to the amp. I bought a four channel amp, so I also had to put a pair of RCA "Y's" to feed all four channels of the amp.

Sweet set-up,How long did it take you to get it instaled?
I am guessing about 6 hours of actual work time. I did it in little bits though. It was probably 6 hours spread over 5 days. Most of my parts came off the internet, so as they came in, I got antsy to install them, even though I didn't have the rest of the parts. I probably took me about 2 hrs alone to design, fabricate, and paint the amp bracket that I made.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wanted to say thanks for initially posting this -- it allowed me to save close to $80-100 for overhead speaker pods (depending on type of pod and the source). These dog bowls worked nicely for that, and hold the Clarion 6.5 marine speakers quite well. They just barely stick down below the crossbar on the cage. Only downside is that it requires drilling holes in the plastic top. I sealed the bolt heads well on top with black silicone, in addition to using it to seal all the holes the wires run through, sealing the bowls to the roof, etc.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts