Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A brief opening to explain why I went with this unit. I read most of the posts here regarding all kinds of stereo installs, some impressive and others not so much. Seeing as how my music collection spans multiple iPods and my friends all have an iPod, I decided I needed something that soley supported the iPod. I am not a "thumper" and I don't need to shake windows at 500ft.

Being a tall guy, I couldn't afford any floorboard space or dash for that matter. So, build up! Looking at cage solutions for speaker placement, etc. I decided the "all-in-one" design of the SSV was for me.

The Order - I placed the order on June 2 from Amazon which was through the SSV Works Amazon storefront. I used a combination of AMEX points and cash to pay the $599 price. Yes, this seems to be very high compared to purchasing an amp, marine speakers, etc. but the enclosure is the key here.

The Arrival - Since SSV Works is not an Amazon Prime vendor, I got free UPS ground shipping, no big deal from SoCal as I am in PHX. First off, the box shows it travel from China, through port and into the hands of SSV. It appears SSV then opens the box to add certain items not built in China.

Upon opening the package, the first thing you notice are the mounting brackets for the cage. These are just placed in a couple of zip lock bags.

Removing the brackets and removing the top packaging reveals the awaited prize....and some packaing disarray! Zip ties are strune all of the box, attached power cable is not tie wrapped and was just "jammed in".

Here is a picture of the unit. What strikes me is that it isn't wrapped in plastic and because it isn't, there are friction marks from the packaging on the high points. I know, this is a seals unit made to withstand some tough riding conditions but I want to be the first to scuff it up, not the boat trip from China and ultimate to my house :aargh4:

The rest of the packaging reveals the remote packed in the actual iPod storage area and the aluminum remote mounting bracket placed in a packaging void.

The instructions and some other parts, screws etc. were found under the unit. One note on the instructions.....can someone at SSV please either print this on a laser printer with decent toner and not use the photocopier to produce a 50th generation copy. :aargh4: Thankfully you will find clean install instructions on their website.

As it is late tonight, I will finish this tomorrow with an install video, pictures and my final thoughts on this purchase. SSV Works has some winning me over to do and it better be in the sound quality area because the packaging = FAIL.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Install Day

Ok, the SSV website says "Installs in 15 minutes" and I am not sure if they had a team of people or just one person like me. I like to think of myself as a pretty handy person...hell I installed solar on my toy hauler for the love of it all so this should be a breeze...

The Install

First and foremost - there is NO parts list - so you really have to read between the lines to find out what you should have. I was also disappointed to not have any instructions on the size of the holes to drill to mount my new $599 sound system (did you read that SSV??)

After reading through ALL of the included instructions, I found out that my kit DID NOT include the 5 supplied iPod cradles, something I have to now take up with SSV :12:

To start, I had to remove my front cage crossbar and reverse it to point the handle in the opposite direction. You will need an 8MM hex wrench if you have the stock cage.

Once this step was completed, I had to partially install the mount arms to the speaker enclosure and then dry fit it for good center alignment.

Once I got my center on all four sides, I locked down the bracket screws. The next step is to drill the 4 mounting holes, 2 on each side, to attach the bracket to the cage. Well guess what??? The instructions DO NOT tell you what size holes to drill!!! Seriously SSV!!!:aargh4: I used a 11/64 bit. I drilled the holes in a cross-side fashion meaning I started on the passenger side, drilled the hole, mounted the screw, then went to the driver side diagonal point and drilled/mounted there.

The next step was to run the "simple 2 wire hookup". Yup, that was about the only clear thing in their website claim. I ran the wire down the passenger side, into the battery compartment and hooked it up to the battery with the included connectors/fuse harness.

At this point, the install of the speaker bar is now complete! Oh wait, I still need to mount the remote holder but here is the installed speaker bar.

The included remote is rather large, in fact you could confuse it with a generic MP3 player. I decided I was sick of looking at the dash warning panel and took it off. Once removed, I covered the dash dimple that was located behind the warning label with the remote holder.

No I have room to mount other accessories! So now the install is done.

Overall, SSV has a lot of work to do on their packaging. For a $599 product, the instructions and written materials should be dead-on :eek5:

Sound quality is good to very good. You should tweak your iPod EQ setting to get the best quality with these marine grade speakers. Bass is so-so but the "spatial stereo" quality above each seat is awesome.

PRO's
+ Great all-in-one design
+ Well made heavy-duty materials
+ Good remote function and FM is a bonus
+ Sound is very acceptable for this type of vehicle

CON's
- Poor/horrible packaging
- Instructions lack packing list
- Did not receive Rhino spacers for the mount - EDIT: This was due to a lack of an option in the Amazon order process to identify a Rhino for the vehicle type.
- Did not receive the 5 "cradles" for the iPod - EDIT: This was the old model and did not apply to the new design.
- What does one do with the female stereo connector? I am not aware
of ANY MP3 device with a male stereo connector. :eek5:

I have not fully "field" tested this unit but I will report back once I do along with GoPro video of the ride.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Video!

For those of you who wonder what the sound quality is like...check this video out...

·
Vendor
210 Posts
Hi Gary,

Nice video, Glad you like the system. :banana:
Let me help clarify a few things for you.

working up since it's easier that way:
"Did not receive Rhino spacers for the mount"
- you ordered the universal system from Amazon, and didn't specify the Rhino that includes spacers. A simple call or email and we'd be happy to send them to you. 99% of customers, including you, don't need them. They're ONLY for Rhino's with Sport roofs and included upon request.

"- Did not receive the 5 "cradles" for the iPod"
You received the new style unit with the tethered iPod cord. Apparently the wrong instruction was included, that was the old style instruction. I apologize for the inconvenience. The newer style dock uses the cable and no cradles as they are not needed this way. The old style board mount relied on customers using specific cradles... New iPods or customers switching between iPods without changing cradles caused fitment problems.... So we did away with the cradles in lieu of the new cable and anti-slip foam backing. Please see the new instructions, as available on our website: http://ssvworks.com/files/WP_User_Guide_NEW.pdf

"- What does one do with the female stereo connector? I am not aware
of ANY MP3 device with a male stereo connector. "
Good question, 2 reasons for this: 1) a male connector is like a 'live wire' into an amplifier and can cause a short or static. 2) this allows customers with portable satellite radio, etc... to patch audio in from a alternate device. Some MP3 cell phones still use a 2.5mm (smaller then standard) output and would require an adapter anyway. A female input allows the customer to use that jack in a multitude of ways.

"The Arrival - Since SSV Works is not an Amazon Prime vendor, I got free UPS ground shipping, no big deal from SoCal as I am in PHX. First off, the box shows it travel from China, through port and into the hands of SSV. It appears SSV then opens the box to add certain items not built in China."

-International packaging laws for distribution require we list China as a component manufacturer. The majority of this system is in fact built and assembled RIGHT HERE in the good ole' U S of A. In fact, it's 10:00 PST on a Tuesday night and the guys are working on them as we speak for customers. If your in the area feel free to swing by and give us a hand. It's like the corvette factory, you can watch your unit being built :)

"Upon opening the package, the first thing you notice are the mounting brackets for the cage. These are just placed in a couple of zip lock bags"
- I'm confident that 2 plate steel brackets that have been powder coated are more then secure on the flat part of the packaging. We simply bag them to prevent the corrugated inner liner from chaffing the finish.

If there are any questions or anything we can help with please feel to contact us directly.

Regards,
Trevor
SSV Works

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Trevor,

Thank you for the reply. Surely you can see how anyone, including myself, could be confused when the incorrect user manual is included in the package? :34:No offense but I really wasn't ready for the quality of the packaging but that is just my opinion.

Just a suggestion, it might be helpful to include a packing list.

As for the Amazon order type, I am unable to see a place to choose a different type for the Rhino and at checkout it certainly doesn't ask you to provide your model: SSV Works WP-OU4 Stereo Speaker System Overhead Sound Bar for iPod or iPhone, fits Yamaha Rhino, Kawasaki Teryx, Polaris Ranger, Can-Am Commander

If you do a search on Amazon for SSV Works WP-OU4, there is only one choice with 2 vendors. As I mention in the video, I have a soft top now but I may end up with a hard top in the future and if I need the spacers, I guess I'll simply contact you when I need it but in the meantime, you might want to fix the Amazon order process to require identification of the SxS one owns.

On the AUX cable, I can see why you don't want a male plug exposed but perhaps a $.13 male/male converter thrown in would be nice because technically, someone with an MP3 player may not have a male/male stero cable. As for Satellite and other "external" stereo items go, I can I close the door yet still run a wire in? Would it be possible to run it in through or next to the power cable?

As for the drill hole size, I read your email to me and I still think that you should include the bit size for the screws you have included. Sure, other people may want to mount the unit differently but I shouldn't have to guess as to the size. If you are going to sell a kit and give specific instructions for the mounting type....well you get my point. While I am handy with tools, I could have easily picked a bit too big and botched the first drill hole. Just a friendly observation because adding the bit size to your instructions should be no big deal, right?
I thank you for the prompt reply and certainly SSV customer service rocks. I look forward to your response on the AUX cable question.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey SSV!

I've got a question for you, I have the iPod setup with the under dash speakers, the subwoofer, the rear foot speakers in the 4 seat cage and the amp. The question I have is when I am out riding at speed I can't really here the tunes due to motor and wind noise. Can I add the roof speakers to the system with the 4 seat cage or what other suggestions do you have?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoa, you've got 4 speakers plus the sub and you cannot hear the music when riding? What is the wattage rating of the speakers and your amp? Heck, before this I had a battery powered iPod player inside of the center mounted Tusk bag and I could still hear that :eek5:

Not answering for SSV but it does have an AUX cable that, depending on your amp, should be able to output from the amp into this aux port and mount the speaker bar just behind the front seats and in front of the back. At this point, you would have 8 speakers!

By any chance do you have a muffler upgrade that may be drowning the music out?

Hey SSV!

I've got a question for you, I have the iPod setup with the under dash speakers, the subwoofer, the rear foot speakers in the 4 seat cage and the amp. The question I have is when I am out riding at speed I can't really here the tunes due to motor and wind noise. Can I add the roof speakers to the system with the 4 seat cage or what other suggestions do you have?

·
Registered
194 Posts
No muffler, just at 50mph the wind and motor really drown out the sound, the kick panel speakers I don't think are aimed up high enough do a lot of the music is lost at your feet, that is why I was thinking of adding some roof mount speakers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
IMHO the overhead is the best way to go. In your configuration though, I would look for speakers you could mount on the cage behind you or above instead of going into this unit. Perhaps SSV Works would make a model without the iPod/AMP/etc. and just provide the speakers in the enclosure.

I know I saw another brand above head speaker bar but it looked way cheap!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would like to mount some in the upper rear of the cage but don't know which brand to check into.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andy,

This is the one I looked at when I considered building my own system. With shipping you're going to be at $325-350 but I believe it is what you are looking for so as long as your amp can push your existing speakers and these.

If you go this route, please report back how it goes as I know stereo installation is a very under-reviewed item for Rhino's!

Gary

I would like to mount some in the upper rear of the cage but don't know which brand to check into.

·
Registered
75 Posts
well i would like to put my 2 cents in ..

i bought mine last yr at this time .. i wish it had the tether instead of the plug because even if you use the right ipod adapter it seems to fall out from time to time ..

i also found that the controller is a bit finicky from time to time like it won't respond won't turn on or play .. seems like i am always buggering with it trying to get it to play .. .. also seems very cheap ...

overall i like the design and the concept behind it ... but defiantly needs some refining ..

is there an upgrade available to go from the plug in to the tether because i think that would be a big improvement ..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would contact SSV and see what they would do to upgrade the iPod "cage". It looks like you could remove it yourself because it is held in place with 4 screws. Not sure of the wiring past that.

The thing that is killing me is that the iPod Nano, under no circumstances, is staying in the velcro strap and just bumps around the door. It does stay connected and plays but it is annoying to hear it scrape around.

As for the remote, I can appreciate the fact that it auto shuts off to preserve battery life but I too have to fumble around to power it back on and then do the function I was seeking in the first place.

Still loving the whole unit though!

i bought mine last yr at this time .. i wish it had the tether instead of the plug because even if you use the right ipod adapter it seems to fall out from time to time ..

i also found that the controller is a bit finicky from time to time like it won't respond won't turn on or play .. seems like i am always buggering with it trying to get it to play .. .. also seems very cheap ...

overall i like the design and the concept behind it ... but defiantly needs some refining ..

is there an upgrade available to go from the plug in to the tether because i think that would be a big improvement ..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would contact SSV and see what they would do to upgrade the iPod "cage". It looks like you could remove it yourself because it is held in place with 4 screws. Not sure of the wiring past that.

The thing that is killing me is that the iPod Nano, under no circumstances, is staying in the velcro strap and just bumps around the door. It does stay connected and plays but it is annoying to hear it scrape around.

As for the remote, I can appreciate the fact that it auto shuts off to preserve battery life but I too have to fumble around to power it back on and then do the function I was seeking in the first place.

haha !!

i too have the nano and with the "nano" adapter and it strapped down with the Velcro it does fall out from time to time...

·
Registered
75 Posts

well i contacted them three days ago about my issues and no return email ... sigh .....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that is shocking because they have been very responsive when I have contacted them. Perhaps Monday will be the day they reply....

well i contacted them three days ago about my issues and no return email ... sigh .....

·
Registered
75 Posts
yea lets hope ,
i really think that tether is the way to go and i think they could refine their remote a bit too ... it is still a great set though ..

Gary

·
Vendor
210 Posts
Hey guys, I was out of town Thur-Mon. I just sent you an email Gary. Sorry for the delay. If you guys ever need something quicker then a day or so please call the office because there's always someone here even if I'm not. Thanks.

Trevor

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea lets hope ,
i really think that tether is the way to go and i think they could refine their remote a bit too ... it is still a great set though ..

Gary
See, I knew they'd take care of you. The first 2 weeks in July all SXS product suppliers should just post they will not be around because they are out on the trails like us.

Hope they can help you and I still love my SSV system!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow, that is shocking because they have been very responsive when I have contacted them. Perhaps Monday will be the day they reply....

no its all good they got a hold of me ...

Gary

1 - 20 of 25 Posts