Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '07 450....the only mods I have done are the digital dash,dynatek c.d.i. and a set of 26x10x12 pirelli mudweiser tires.

completely stock i was running 37-38 mph....after adding the c.d.i. i jumped to 42-43 mph.....after adding the slightly larger than stock mud tires i have lost noticeable low/mid power and am back down to 37 mph.

I plan on doing several other performance mods to get my speed back up to 42-45 mph and I need your help.

I want to improve low/mid power and throttle response and increase top end.....what should I do next?

I am thinking a jet kit, a k&n air filter,machined clutch sheave and maybe a performance clutch kit.

What of these mods will accomplish what I want to do and what sizes/brands of jets,what brand clutch kit and what brand of machined clutch sheave will all work together properly to obtain the maximum benefit?

thanks in advance for all you guys help and advice!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
jet kit was the first thing i did to get it to run right after my snorkels, i could tell and noticeable diference after i installed the k/n and exhaust, throttle response was allot better than stock and i could reach the rev limiter way easier, i am thinking of doing a cam next, web cams makes 2 different cams for the 450, course i dont care about the top speed i just want the low end, how is that dynatek cdi? can you tell any bottom end difference

·
Registered
345 Posts
hahaha im sorry guys but i was thinking when i read it the same thing 25 cliffy was. i mean cant you find an entire 660 engine for like $1200? then sell the 450 for a few hundred bucks and call it a day. i rode with a rhino 450 and was amazed how much slower than the 660 they were. in the end you can have a stock with cdi 660 or a modded out (with about the same money spent or more) 450 and be slower than a 660 with a cdi???? someone should post a how to 660 swap. the cost of 660 engines will continue to go down as more and more people are going to the rotax and streetbike engines. just my 2 cents. if its even worth that..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guys I have a 450 also, It is what it is.The bike is bad ass in the woods and working aruond. but it's no for speed you knew that when you got it. if you want to go fast load it on a trailer. Proud 450 owner

·
Registered
50 Posts
i agree with mudgearman, mud and trails is where the 450 is best it has more than enough low end grunt to get the job done, when i go ridin normally the top speed is about 8-10mph, i am very impressed with my 450 in the mud i haven't had an issue yet but if i was riding the dunes and wanted top speed i would have gotten a 660 when it comes to acceleration/speed there really isnt any comparing the 2

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my riding consists off all trails and mud with the occasional 2-3 mile pavement run to the next area....i love what it is but i just wanna get a little more top speed out of it just for this purpose.

i went back down to a set of 25x10 znd 25x8 mudlites and got rid of my 26" tires...lots better....the dynatek c.d.i. i have is great.

i am going to instal;l a k&n air filter today....should i rejet or just adjust the air/fuel screw.....what gains should i expect by the k&n and fuel adjustment/jet kit?.....if i need to rejet which size jets do i need to use on a 450 with just a cdi and a k&n?

thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
i agree i am very impressed as many of my buddy's on how well the 450 moves 1000 lbs. as for the jets after i snorkeled mine, it hesitated and shut off at idle at times, i put a #25 pilot jet and a 140 main jet in,took care of the idle but still hesitated, i swapped the thin and thick washers on the needle and that most the most difference on acceleration, dynojet now makes a complete jet kit specifically for the 450

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have an '07 450....the only mods I have done are the digital dash,dynatek c.d.i. and a set of 26x10x12 pirelli mudweiser tires.

I plan on doing several other performance mods to get my speed back up to 42-45 mph and I need your help.

I want to improve low/mid power and throttle response and increase top end.....what should I do next?

thanks in advance for all you guys help and advice!!
Look here for some ideas.
http://www.whiterhino450.com/

·
Registered
50 Posts
ya, i talked to a guy named bryan there and they said that with their kit the 450 will pull hard all the way to between 48 and 52 mph,he said it is a completely different machine, i asked about the reliability and they said the 450 is a very strong well built motor and out of all the kits the have sold they have not had one engine failure

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The Whierhino kit at $1,300-$1,800 is a testament to why buying a 660 or 700 is better than trying to mod a 450... and I have a 450..

The 450 Rhino was a great bargain when I bought mine because it was the same machine as the 660 except for the engine. Now with all of the impressive new features on the 700 that didn't find their way to the 450 it makes more sense than ever just to get the bigger machine.

I am waiting to see what the 09 Rhinos look like and then will probably upgrade to a 700.

The 450 is an amazing machine at a great price but you sort of have to love it for what it is or move on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
jet kit was the first thing i did to get it to run right after my snorkels, i could tell and noticeable diference after i installed the k/n and exhaust, throttle response was allot better than stock and i could reach the rev limiter way easier, i am thinking of doing a cam next, web cams makes 2 different cams for the 450, course i dont care about the top speed i just want the low end, how is that dynatek cdi? can you tell any bottom end difference
Where did you find an exhaust for the 450? I’ve had trouble finding any

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where did you find an exhaust for the 450? I’ve been looking everywhere

1 - 19 of 19 Posts