Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys, picked up a rhino the other week for $100
07 model i think
660cc
Bulk rust, neglected
2000km's, 344hrs

So, towed it to a mates farm, backed it off the trailer (at speed to avoid getting hung up with no ramps around haha) and removed the swiss cheese rear tray, also removed the front bonnet as the holding straps were broken

Next step, flog it around like a drift king, realise right hand turns arent much fun unless leaning across onto the passangers seat, do a few jumps (only a few, the rear end is so light and the springs are quite stiff) pose for wicked flex

Drive it down to the creek and have fun climbing up the rutted rocky walls, front diff lock is awesome

Yamaha Rhino 660 Off Road - YouTube

best $100 spent :D and its still alive :) need to see if there is a cheap way to increase top speed, 66km/h isnt all that flash , and to improve rear flex

·
Registered
322 Posts
I like your bed delete.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I removed my rear sway bar and could tell a big difference in ride quality and flex.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I thought i was the king of killer deals...100 is a score for sure...no matter how messed up?....remove rear sway bar...adjust rear shocks too softer and see what that does....get a sand blaster and aply rust killer and prime and paint....and do the normal..oil change,air filter,fuel filter,front and rear diff oil,....seat belt tight and helmet and go nuts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with 4wds i generally chuck in a gearbox treatment when it starts to change a bit notchy, and an engine oil "flush" every 2nd service or so, is there anything like that for the rhino?

background, its an ex surf rescue vehicle, its had 3, maybe 4 oil changes in the 2000kms, air filter oiled twice, diff oil and coolant not touched

·
Registered
396 Posts
use the yamaha brand oil...yama lube two qrts and fiter...change fuel filter behind pass seat back....front and rear diff oil...1 qrt each..the rear helpd with skid plate removed...clean check air fiter

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
need to see if there is a cheap way to increase top speed
Yes but if you paid $100 U.S. for that YOU won't think that $100 shipped anywhere in US is cheap then would you... LOL...

CDI

Requires that you have the stock cdi now...raises rev limiter to 8,000 rpms...

Typical stock rhino does 40mph at rev limiter... 50 mph with this MSD...

OR... I double your money on thing if you bring it to me I'll give $200 for it... :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
cam can tell it's not an 04 because it has an air scoop on the engine cover which makes it 05 and later...

They changed the roll cage in 07...

That makes it 05-06...

06 was a strange year...axle nuts are different size...headlight bulbs are different...wiring harness for the digi-dash different...

Little stuff that will screw you up sometimes if you don't know whether it's 05 or 06 and they start changing parts in mid years...

All minor details tho...

·
Premium Member
7,853 Posts
04s

04s had no scoop,they also had;front frame gussets, bar for accesory storage compartment opposite of battery box,smaller diameter stub axle nuts.....those are the dead giveaways for the 04s, they are the more rare rhinos and bring more money to rhino collectors at the barrett jackson auctions too...

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
its an 05 or 06 model,not an 07 or 04.........whata score,got a clean title???

whats diff on the 04 from the 05 so i know for next time , head rest?
one was released later than the other.

and the intake I believe lol
04s had no scoop,they also had;front frame gussets, bar for accesory storage compartment opposite of battery box,smaller diameter stub axle nuts.....those are the dead giveaways for the 04s, they are the more rare rhinos and bring more money to rhino collectors at the barrett jackson auctions too...
LOL whata bunch of joke-sters! :rofl3:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
use the yamaha brand oil...yama lube two qrts and fiter...change fuel filter behind pass seat back....front and rear diff oil...1 qrt each..the rear helpd with skid plate removed...clean check air fiter
Righto, sounds like a plan, should also point out I'm in australia so its even less than $100 US haha, think I'll change the oils, unbolt the rear sway bar, maybe look at bolting a spare tyre (4wd tyre) over the rear to get some weight ratio back in check

The suspension in the front is on the second lowest (or is it softest?) setting, what tool do you use and will winding it up raise it and/or affect the harshness of the ride?

·
Registered
396 Posts
a pipe wrench works pretty good to turn the adjustment on front shocks....i keep mine on the soft side....unless jumping....then have at the max..( compresses spring )...i keep my rear at max for hauling rock and such...but you dont have to worry about that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.