Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a MSD ignition/fuel controller for my 2011 Rhino 700.

I have already installed a JBS Hot Rod sheave and 16 gram overdrive weights. Running completely stock otherwise, down to the stock SE wheels and tires, I get 50mph on the digital dash before it hits the limiter out on the blacktop. GPS indicates 47-48mph.

It'll hit the limiter whether I have a passenger or not, so I feel like the engine might have more to offer. Would a MSD help? Would it give me any additional power down low or in the mid range?

Like I said, my Rhino is stock except for the Hot Rod sheave and 16 gram sliders. Hunterworks has the MSD for $299 on their site. Is this thing worth 300 bones for a stock Rhino?

And since everyone like pics, here's a couple of pics I snapped. I thought if you saw pics, you'd be more inclined to post! haha! And don't mind the pesky RZR, lol. I'm definitely NOT trying to beat the RZR as my Rhino is my mudding/hunting/cruising/beer drinking toy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Msd on a stock rhino will change your rpm limit and let you run a little faster but to get the best results put muzzys and cam. hunterworks sells packages and the cam is not that hard to change. hunterworks will program the msd with a good fuel and timing map for you. With those mods on our 08 700 weget around 60 mph and it gets there fast.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same setup in mine. I couldn't tell any difference with the MSD/Hot Rod sheave vs. HotRod sheave alone other than more top speed. Seems all the MSD did for me was add 10 mph or so. I'd you want to go faster than 50 mph I say get it, if your happy with your current speed spend the money elsewhere. Just my $.02

Btw... Nice looking rides!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the same setup in mine. I couldn't tell any difference with the MSD/Hot Rod sheave vs. HotRod sheave alone other than more top speed. Seems all the MSD did for me was add 10 mph or so. I'd you want to go faster than 50 mph I say get it, if your happy with your current speed spend the money elsewhere. Just my $.02

Btw... Nice looking rides!
not to be an ass, but 10 mph is alot in a rhino, msd woke mine right up, and muzzys helped, cam and shieve/or od will improve it more..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree, 10 mph on the big end is alot. He is wanting to know if he will gain anything in the low/mid range though. For me, I couldn't tell any difference in those areas. I'm still glad I have the MSD, but if I didn't ride 55 mph + occasionally around my area, I could do without the MSD. Luckily where I live, it's legal to ride on any road unless it's a State HWY, so mine sees more MPH than most.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I didnt notice any power gain. But the nice thing is when it does away with the rev limiter it also does away with the limiter for the reverse and the diff lock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a MSD i'm selling. I bought it at Hunterwork about a year and half ago its in great condition never in the mud or water..(i did a rotax swap so I don't need it) shoot me a pm if u r interested....

·
Registered
985 Posts
Its seems to me that those weights are a little lite. I have the 16 gram OD weights in mine. I was told that I need those with the cam I installed. If no cam, then 18 gram weights would be the choice. I would add a set of Muzzy's to your Mods. Cam, 16 gram weights, MSD, Muzzy's, Intake, Hot Rod Sheave, I get her up to 62MPH. I got my MSD and Cam from Todd at Hunterworks.com. He puts in his maps for all of the Mods I mentioned. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Msd on a stock rhino will change your rpm limit and let you run a little faster but to get the best results put muzzys and cam.
So you you're saying there will not be much gain to be had with the MSD unless I get an exhaust and cam?

I have the same setup in mine. I couldn't tell any difference with the MSD/Hot Rod sheave vs. HotRod sheave alone other than more top speed. Seems all the MSD did for me was add 10 mph or so.
Thanks. This is what I was kind of wondering. Where I ride, 50mph is starting to push it because you just don't know if there's going to be a huge obstacle right around the next bend. My Grizzly had an average speed of less than 5mph, so that tells you a little about my riding style and conditions.

msd woke mine right up, and muzzys helped, cam and shieve/or od will improve it more..
I'm hearing that the MSD will not do much for a stock Rhino 700 unless other aftermarket performance parts are ordered. But you say the MSD woke yours up? With the Hot Rod sheave, I'm getting 50mph on the dash, which is ok. I'm really looking for a bit more pull on the bottom end, to help get the tires moving from a stop in deep mud, water, and sand. Also for easier maneuvering in technical riding where the machine is in differential lock and tires up against roots trying to climb, etc.

I agree, 10 mph on the big end is alot. He is wanting to know if he will gain anything in the low/mid range though. For me, I couldn't tell any difference in those areas. I'm still glad I have the MSD, but if I didn't ride 55 mph + occasionally around my area, I could do without the MSD.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my target area I'm trying to get some additional power out of is the 0-15mph range. And thanks for your report that the MSD is not going to add much to that area.

I didnt notice any power gain. But the nice thing is when it does away with the rev limiter it also does away with the limiter for the reverse and the diff lock.
Would you mind saying more about rev-limiter? What I mean is what kind of rev-limiter are you talking about? When my Rhino hits the rev-limiter at 50mph, is that RPM limit programmed into the ECU? If so, what is the stock "redline"? I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable revving my stock motor to the moon to get a few more mph. Also, I have not noticed a reverse limiter or a differential lock limiter. Just the other day, I wanted to see if how fast it could run in reverse (to see if it were like the Grizzly which would sputter at 10mph in reverse). Nope. At 25mph in reverse, I quit trying.

Its seems to me that those weights are a little lite. I have the 16 gram OD weights in mine. I was told that I need those with the cam I installed. If no cam, then 18 gram weights would be the choice. I would add a set of Muzzy's to your Mods.
The reason for the lighter 16gram weights is because I plan on going to a larger tire within the next few months. I told James that I had intentions of running a 26-27" tire, so when he included the greasless overdrive weights he recommended the 16 gram weights. I do think they're a little too light for stock wheels and tires as it'll bump the rev-limiter when flooring it from a dead stop in 2wd on sand or hardpack. These Muzzys you and others have been mentioning, how much louder are they than stock? Would they be ok for deep water and mud riding?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Msd on a stock rhino will change your rpm limit and let you run a little faster but to get the best results put muzzys and cam.

So you you're saying there will not be much gain to be had with the MSD unless I get an exhaust and cam?

Thats my felling on it but everyone has their oun ideas. I think the cam and clucth mods were the best as far as power gains but with the cam you will need some type of exhust mod for it to work right. My clucth came from az. sports center back in 08 and I'm sure there are a lot better out now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Chris,
I have 18gram od greaseless weights and jbs sheave and a gold secondary spring and an msd and some my other mods in my sig. No one metioned it but he did not buy a secondary spring. As for the gold secondary spring everyone has really mixed reviews however I really like it. I think it makes is "shift" faster when u punch it or work the throttle in tight areas like u say u ride. As for the MSD, I have one as well and am glad I have it. I do feel that the throttle responce is alot better then stock and feel that it runs cleaner-smoother. I bought 18 gram ods awhile ago and run 28 wide zillas and it seems that now people are running the 16s more now, less of the 18s. I might change them out to 16s but i want more reviews before i buy more weights. The muzzys are a great exhaust, allittle expensive but the sound level is close to stock but has a deeper tone. If you have the money buy the cam and muzzy, and msd package and save urself some money. Nice machine man.

·
Registered
4 Posts
any pointers I need to know on doing the sheeve kit and wet slug kit? looks pretty easy to do. I currently run a black rhino piggyback box, but thought about switching to the msd.......should I keep the black rhino until after I do hot rod clutch upgrade and the slugs and see how it runs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts