Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
iv been using Shell Rotella T syn (bluish bottle) for a while with no problem runs real smooth with it. and it's very reasonable.

I'm sure some people will say amsoil, but in my experience in my motocross bikes....it's not very good.

run what you want but just change

·
Registered
357 Posts
Do yourself a favor, run what is recommended by factory. The oil that is recommended is meant for wet clutches with friction reducers. It is formulated for these type of vehicles. Not automotive oil. My company does Contract work for Honda of America. Factory replacement parts. Believe me, factory oils will do just fine. You won't have a failure do to factory lubricants. Good Luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just as dbest said I also use rotella from walmart. Either the syn or dino oil is sold there and if you look at the reviews on google u will see everyone likes it. I also have used supertech 15w40 walmart brand oil with great success. While ur at walmart u can get a oil filter as well, supertech, 7317 or 6607 for about 2 bucks lol.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yamalube. A one size fits all motor oil for all the different UTV companies out there being better than what the actual manufacturer has specifically formulated for them, to run in their machines doesn't sound like a good idea to me, spend the extra 4.00 per oil change and do what the factory recommends, you won't be sorry.
Don't mix oils either, my best friend just spent 1200 to have his motor torn down, and cleaned out because the Motul oil chemically reacted with whatever he had in there before and gelled up in his engine. It looked like black silicone in his motor and felt like one of those gel inserts you put in your shoe. It was so bad it clogged all his oil lines, oil cooler, oil pump etc that a several day soak and compressed air couldn't get it out, so all that had to be replaced too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Do you guys work for Yamaha or something? :)

I run Shell rotella in all my machines... that being said, I work for Shell. :) But that's not why I run it... I do it because it's reasonably priced, and works great! Yamalube isn't some magic potion - it's just motor oil made by someone else to Yamaha 'specs'. Essentially, a slightly heavier weight oil without friction modifiers... just like every other 20w40/50 oil out there!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you guys work for Yamaha or something? :)

I run Shell rotella in all my machines... that being said, I work for Shell. :) But that's not why I run it... I do it because it's reasonably priced, and works great! Yamalube isn't some magic potion - it's just motor oil made by someone else to Yamaha 'specs'. Essentially, a slightly heavier weight oil without friction modifiers... just like every other 20w40/50 oil out there!
No I don't, I just believe that what the factory says to use is better. They design, build, and race their machines and probably know best. Besides being a cashier at the local Shell mini mart doesn't make you an oil expert anymore then I. Tank you, come again.

·
Registered
647 Posts
No I don't, I just believe that what the factory says to use is better. They design, build, and race their machines and probably know best. Besides being a cashier at the local Shell mini mart doesn't make you an oil expert anymore then I. Tank you, come again.
Aaaactually, I work in quality assurance at the Shell Lube and Grease plant... but I'll take your comments under advisement. Yamaha knows best - I get it. :icon_rolleyes:

All gun manufacturers say 'use only factory ammo!', but I roll my own with much better accuracy. But, I'm not an 'ammo expert', so I guess I'll switch back to factory loads. They MUST know best! They made the guns, right?

To each his own. As long as you're happy with your oil choice, go nuts.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I run Rotella T6 15w40 in my Cherokee, Rancher and Rhino. No problems whatsoever. The most important thing is to keep it changed regularly--no matter what oil you choose.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
lol here we go!!!

yamalube is good oil, use it if you want, BUT it's not some special blend, it falls under the same standards as other oils.

just don't use "energy conserving II" in it, it will make the wet clutch slip.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Actually, I work in quality assurance at the Shell Lube and Grease plant... but I'll take your comments under advisement. Yamaha knows best - I get it. :icon_rolleyes:

All gun manufacturers say 'use only factory ammo!', but I roll my own with much better accuracy. But, I'm not an 'ammo expert', so I guess I'll switch back to factory loads. They MUST know best! They made the guns, right?

To each his own. As long as you're happy with your oil choice, go nuts.[/

Your ammo fires better because you have found/formulated a round that works best for you, matches your shooting style and probably took a lot of trial and error to get it just right, just as manufactures have found/formulated what oil
works best in the machines they build.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yea, I'm sure the designers, engineers and developers at Yamaha grabbed a few quarts of Rotella diesel off the shelf at the local Wal-mart and said, "Hey y'all, design our product around this here oil."

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
iv been using Shell Rotella T syn (bluish bottle) for a while with no problem runs real smooth with it. and it's very reasonable.

i didnt think you could run synthetic with a wet clutch?
mine runs fine....so does my bike quad.....

just stay away from "energy conserving II" which is car oil. that's why I run diesel oil.....

only car oil you can run is regular castrol GTX.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts