Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone on here who has modified their stock roll cage for strength? I have about 40ft of 2" diameter 1/4" wall steel tubing laying in the garage that I'd love to find a use for. Also, I don't have much faith in the stock cage. Not really looking to do a full cage because of weight and would like to keep the bed's ability to tilt.

If you have, post up some pictures!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Man 2"x1/4 wall is way to heavy.i wouldn't use anything bigger than 11/2 scedual 40 gas pipe it's the same size outside diameter as the stock cage only thicker....it's like 1/8inch thick wall and it's cheap....

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally agree that it's overkill, but it's what I have on hand. I'm thinking about just adding some leg minders and supports for the front of the cage. i.e. - one across and two up, but am open to other ideas as well. It seems like the couple feet of unbraced cage on the front would be one of the first things to cave in. As much as I don't like welding 1/4" thick material to the aluminum foil thickness stock cage, I think I"m going to do it anyway...

...Or maybe I should just start from scratch and build a new cage alltogether.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Idea- watch some videos of Rhino rollovers and see what damage they get...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Id spend the time and money on adding safety restraints in case of a rollover, seat belts and proper webbing to keep arms and legs inside the units roll cage.......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys have good points. I've actually been looking around for rhino rollover videos/pictures but it doesn't seem that too many are out there(or I'm just not having luck finding them). This seems odd especially with yamaha getting sued for safety - you would think the internet would be filled with pictures of totaled rhinos.

With the type of riding I do, if I roll - it would either be a slow roll(under 5mph) or going down a cliff...

This happened 30 minutes away from where I live and is a trail I regularly ride on Two dead after ATV plummets off Lake Pend Oreille overlook - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

I'm not so sure about the nets, but I do need to buy a pair of good harnesses. Leg minders are on my "to weld" list - pretty long at the moment.

So - in that case, anyone have any pictures of rhinos that have been in rollovers?

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can put as much roll bar on a side x side you want but rolling it off a cliff is bad.......try looking on YouTube there's all kinds of crashes on there......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts