Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep our Rhino parked in the barn and have found out that mice like it as much as we do.

They got into the battery compartment....now I have fixed the wires that it got to..that's not the point

I hate these things, hate them. My 2 bird dogs love, I mean love finding them and killing them. I don't love the dogs around the Rhino. I don't love the droppings.

They are everywhere from under the seats to the exhaust area. I have tried moth balls and dryer sheets to make them leave. it's not working

before someone says "cat" no thanks my dogs kill and attack everything from skunks to butterflies to beavers to dogs.......I can't get a cat

What should I do?:eek2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
There is some stuff used by equipment operators, such as combines, you can get it at farm equipment dealers, it smells like detergent and it comes in little bags, not sure of the name, I will check around and get back to you or you can check at a farm equipemnt dealer meanwhile..............
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,253 Posts
Buy one of the fully enclosed classic car bubbles, put your Rhino inside it, disconnect battery negative cable, set off a couple of raid bombs in it and close it up tight ....the bombs will kill mice and their babies nested god only knows where in your machine....long term controlled environment garage for the Rhino in mouse country thereafter ...

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
mice

When we lived out on the farm I used to keep my hotrods and boats in a barn in the winter. I used "Irish Spring" soap in everything. Seemed to work pretty well. I just shaved it up and put the shavings everywhere. Wirewool in the exhaust pipes. jeffv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
I have lots of mice problems: 80yo farm house on a 200 acre farm. I use Havoc rat poison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
the old guy i worked with and now retired...had a rat problem at his inlaws house..we use havoc at work for the sewers...so he brought some home...well the father inn law died...then her horse...then the dog...he said at break table she is haveing a bad week....first her dad then her dog,then her horse and now her mule?..we all said the mule too?....i said jesus christ how much of that **** did you spread around her place!!...he flew out of his chair pacing back and forth saying we dont even want to go there over and over while the rest of us where busting up laffing?....we still joke him about it if he visits!....posion dont work on larger anamils?....I wont use it....unless the inlaws have a ploblem! lol...i just set traps...where the dogs cant get to...its hunting...you sound like a hunter?..hundreds at first...with infestation?...then the killing tapers off....then just leave traps set with peanut butter and if any new ones come around?..swwwiiiittttch!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Poison works alright but the problem is then they go and die somewhere. Their stinkin little carcass is rotting somewhere.
I guess it's not too bad on the farm, there's thousands of places to die and wouldn't be too intrusive smelling up the place.
Try a combination of both. Check the traps and re bait if necc. every day. Once the adults are trapped, the younger ones get hungry and roam. You can tell you've got them all when all you're catching in your traps are tiny young ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
If you don't like poisons, another cheap idea is a multimouse live trap. You can catch about 20 rats in one trap, the downside is that it doesn't kill them and has to be emptied. I had a local with a snake that took mine from me. I do agree that poison can kill dogs, cats, etc. I think the best way to deploy it is to leave it in the package in the smaller, more inaccessible places you find poop and leave a pack of it in their nests. That way, the animal will only be able to ingest poison by eating the dead vermin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
thats what happens with the poision and bags and loose....the mice and rats pack it with them...over to to grain bin that grandpa grabs a handfull of and eats as hes walking by.....the hores eats the grain or hay that the mice was hinding under....goes off and dies....the dog eats the mouse...the cat eats the mouse....and now everyone is dead...exept the mother innlaw? .so just trap them and start the rhino now and then they like cars that just sit for long times
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I now have it parked in the back yard. I'm thinking it's 400 feet from the barn so hopefully the parent mice won't make the trip. Here's a photo of the dogs trying to get them. I like the poison idea. I don't like the idea of other animals dieing though...(my dogs).

I might try some of the mouse traps that catch them...not the old swinging metal ones, but the newer box ones. I enjoy the ones that kill the mice in them.....I don't like the ones that just keep them.

That Decon thing seems good though......still may do that. I'll call Southern States first thing Monday.


Hey, thanks for all the tips guys. I don't care what all the Polaris guys say about you.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Isn't there a dog friendly high radio frequency detourant available for that purpose ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
I'll tell you one thing, if there was a weasel living in your barn, you'd have no mice!!
Or a fox , we had a pair of transient Foxes hang out here for a couple weeks they cleaned us out of rodents fortunetly we don't have chickens or ducks otherwise them foxes wouldn't bee too welcome. might hafta get Elmer Fudd to bwast them.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isn't there a dog friendly high radio frequency detourant available for that purpose ?

I didn't think of that. We have a sound deterent for birds in the barn and it works.

It's not so much the bird poo that bothered me. It was Carter jumping on my carbon fiber hood on my Sentra to get a bird.

Carter is very good at killing. He has probably killed about 30 birds, 4 skunks, 7 rabbits, 4 ground hogs, countless mice and moles, and 5000 bugs/bees/wasps/butterflies.

The worst, and I wasn't there, but my wife said he beat a ground hog to death on the back porch. Apparently it got close to her and he attacked it. He beat it against the porch until it died.

The funniest I have seen is him catching birds in the air.

He seems to not hurt them if they don't move. He one time brought me 4 baby rabbits, all unharmed.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top