Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure it has been asked before but thought it might be helpful to have a thread on what everyone does for routine maintenance. You know between oil changes, between tire changes etc.. Grease, wash, lube bla bla bla..!

I clean off or wash park my ride in the garage after rides, Plug in batteries to battery tender, lube zerks, check for any fluid leaks, and have it ready for next ride.

Does anyone use fuel stabilizers for different seasons?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use STA-BIL in all of my toys at the end of every season. When we go out after the summer we never have any fuel system problems. We're in the dunes while the others are pulling carbs apart to clean jets.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I am sure it has been asked before but thought it might be helpful to have a thread on what everyone does for routine maintenance. You know between oil changes, between tire changes etc.. Grease, wash, lube bla bla bla..!

I clean off or wash park my ride in the garage after rides, Plug in batteries to battery tender, lube zerks, check for any fluid leaks, and have it ready for next ride.

Does anyone use fuel stabilizers for different seasons?
You do way more than most people and I like to have it real clean as possible I think it helps a lot over time...

Personally, I recommend taking the seats and engine cover off...popping the hood and bed...tire foam all the plastic and rubber then rinse and wipe clean...

The best thing you can do is dump the oil every other tank of gas and change the filter every other oil change...keeps the inside sparking clean...

There is no doubt that frequent oil changes on these atv motors with cheap oil (as long as it's the right type and viscosity and on 660s the original owner's manual is incorrect imo) and dumping often is better than expensive oil that is supposed to "last long"...

The oil lasts a long time...but it gets very dirty very fast...!

Another thing most people don't realize is that from the factory there is no filtration of the crank case from dirty air...NONE...!

Also most people focus on the wrong features of the oil filter IMO...all of the filters that are appropriate for the application including the factory one have by-pass valves...at higher oil pressures (when the motor is revved significantly) there is no filtration occurring...so having dirty oil is BAD...

The yamaha filters are foam and do filter to the finest level...however, they lower capacity and lower flow rate than the best filter available for the vehicle which IMO is the Purolator Pure ONE (emphasis on pure one as they have two purolators that fit)...the PH 14610 3" filter is what I like...it might be 16410...never can remember...

I like the Rotella-T 5w 40 synthetic from Wal-Mart (don't like having to go to Wal-Mart) it has great thermal properties...flows fast when cold...maintains viscosity when hot...very good lubrication...low cost bought by the Gallon...no moly which is bad for wet clutch... If one has 10w 40 conventional in their rhino and switches to this oil he will notice how much smoother it is at idle as soon as he fires it back up... :eek5:

As far as fuel stabilizer...I used to use it but no longer...I think it matters where you live and what is in your gas as to how long it will take to varnish...have let gas sit for years here w/o stabilizer and still used it no problems...at some point it will varnish and that can be a pita to deal with I had a m/c with steel tank varnish once back in the day... I think it was during the Nixon administration when we had to ride bicycles due to gasoline shortages....:13:

There is zero doubt in my mind that the most important thing to do is check your oil lever prior to firing it up every single time...never drive it w/o the oil level at full on dipstick...

·
Registered
815 Posts
good write up craig,my rhino is running great with the stock carb,your jet kit and set up sheet made things easy,the intake and filter works great,and it has great throttle responce now,thanks!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts