Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having difficulty removing the lower a arm bolt on my 06 rhino 660, the lower bolt that holds the spindle to the a arm, it just does not want to come out, I hammered it part of the way ,then tried to pry it out with a screw driver, but I just bent/broke a couple flatheads, am I missing something here?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had lots of trouble with that one too. Leave the nut on there so that when you hit it, the screw doesn't 'mushroom' . Just give it(the nut) a couple of good hits with a hammer and it should come out. It might help making the A-arm parallel to the ground so that there is less force acting on that one screw.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Use a heavy duty flathead screwdriver with a large sized shaft. Lift up on the a-arm while you jam the screwdriver in between the knuckle and a-arm. As close as you can get to the ball joint without damaging the ball joint rubber boot. Jerk the a arm up and the screwdriver with go in a bit tighter. Once it 's jammed in there good and tight, hit the the a-arm right (close to the ball joint)firmly with a big hammer. This combination should pop the shaft of the ball joint out of the a-arm. If you're changing the ball joint anyway and not worried about damaging the rubber boot, use a ball joint separator, works like a charm.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Jack up the a-arm a little with your jack so the bolt is in the center of the hole not on the bottom or the top. It pops right when you tap it with a screwdriver that is smaller then the diameter of the bolt.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had some issues when I changed a rearend. I did what sc20 said until it was 1/2 way out then used a brass punch to push it the rest of way out. that way as I hammered it out the brass flattened vs the threads

1 - 5 of 5 Posts