Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had a northern brand 2500lbwinch and a viper winch 5000lb.both have let me down the northern winch was unpowered and i didnt have a good fairlead and a sidepull took the winch out. the viper had good power but dont like water or something it stoped workin thought it was the relay hook the winch motor stright to the battery and nothing but sparks.. i need a winch soon as i want to go mudding and i need to plow soon

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Should have just got a warn first then you would have been done. Never one problem with my warn! Mud,water,or snow. I have an xt40. Get the rope wire not the
Steal wire.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Warn and if your going to take is swimming in mud and water all the time , take time to SERIVCE it once in a while and it won't let u down

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personally i have owned several different brands,and if you ride mud/high water levels no winch will last.invest on some good tow straps recommend a super yanker and always ride with a buddy

·
Registered
521 Posts
cdog hit the nail on the head! If you play in the mud and water, service it regularly.
I have a 5000lb Ramsay. Ton's of power, just a little on the slow side.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would disassemble, clean and inspect..... lube and reassemble the dead winches you have. before moving on to another winch. Withought going into a lot of details, chances are crud is screwing things up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input guys how do youll feel about super winch brand?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Get the warn winch, Use mine a lot already. not one problem.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
took the winch apart tonight and there is water/mud inside it and rust and 3 of the managements came off the can and stuck to the roror

·
Registered
252 Posts
Any name brand winch, Warn, Ramsey, Super Winch, Mile Marker, are excellent winches if you take care of them. Like others have said though, if you are in deep mud, water, etc. you need to service that winch after each time you ride through that stuff or you'll be having severe failures at times when you need to count on that winch.

I have the Warn 3k Multimount system and I absolutely love it. I've yet to need it to recover my vehicle, but I actually used it to drag a car out of a ditch, pull logs, and operate my plow.

I like the Multimount system because when the winch isn't being used I take it out of the tow receiver and put it in a waterproof storage box.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what name brand winch is better then the theres? i have lookeda t warn and superwinch havent looked at ramsey or mile marker

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
what name brand winch is better then the theres? i have lookeda t warn and superwinch havent looked at ramsey or mile marker
You ARE NOT gonna SAVE money going w/any of the others...a warn XT or RT has a LIFETIME warranty...that itself should tell you SOMETHING !!! I am not trying to be a **** or anything...I have all ready been down the road you are trying to take. Yes, a warn costs a little more now; but, you are gonna SAVE money in the long run, if you go ahead and buy one now !! All of those others may work; but, if any of them take a crap...are they gonna send you new parts-no questions asked ?!? Just sayin...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
never mind i could be wrong i emailed them to see if it a full life time warranrty

http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/XT40.shtml

nvm again looks like i was right it is a limited life time warrarnty sooo whats thats cover hmmmmmm?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so if that says something for warn well i guess it says something for superwinch Superwinch, LLC - Terra ATV Winch ­ Synthetic Rope Winch&
limited lifetime warranrty too :eek5:

QUOTE=scottwv;578461]
You ARE NOT gonna SAVE money going w/any of the others...a warn XT or RT has a LIFETIME warranty...that itself should tell you SOMETHING !!! I am not trying to be a **** or anything...I have all ready been down the road you are trying to take. Yes, a warn costs a little more now; but, you are gonna SAVE money in the long run, if you go ahead and buy one now !! All of those others may work; but, if any of them take a crap...are they gonna send you new parts-no questions asked ?!? Just sayin...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hate to break it to you but the Warn only has a 1 yr warranty on the motor.
I have one at Warn right now being fixed on my dime.
None of them are bullet proof. The mud and water find their way in and eventually mess them up if not serviced.

Now if you want to greatly improve your chances of reliability, move the winch up. Where it is in the stock location puts it in mud and muck all of the time.
I suggest a multi point hook up where you can remove it and store elsewhere or.... buy / fab a bumper like Warn's and move the winch on top.

Even then I always run the cable / rope all the way out and back in after clean up to ensure the motor is dried out. The winch I have there now was on my machine when I bought it last month and Previous owner did none of the things mentioned so the winch was completely seized up.
It's a Warn RT 40

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I hate to break it to you but the Warn only has a 1 yr warranty on the motor.
I have one at Warn right now being fixed on my dime.
None of them are bullet proof. The mud and water find their way in and eventually mess them up if not serviced.

Now if you want to greatly improve your chances of reliability, move the winch up. Where it is in the stock location puts it in mud and muck all of the time.
I suggest a multi point hook up where you can remove it and store elsewhere or.... buy / fab a bumper like Warn's and move the winch on top.

Even then I always run the cable / rope all the way out and back in after clean up to ensure the motor is dried out. The winch I have there now was on my machine when I bought it last month and Previous owner did none of the things mentioned so the winch was completely seized up.
It's a Warn RT 40
I have never had any motor issues...good to know they don't cover it after a yr though. The red handle part for the free-wheel on mine fell off because the plastic housing it sits in cracked. I called them up, NO questions asked...No proof of purchase needed...parts were in the mail...the guy even appologized because the shipping was gonna take so long (opposite sides of the continent) !! They didn't just send the broken plastic part and the red knob...they sent the ENTIRE side of the housing the plastic is hooked to !! You're exactly right...if you don't do your p.m. work...whether it's your winch, or the rest of your bike...stuffs gonna give out and break !!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ordered a warn winch today

1 - 19 of 19 Posts