Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Long Travel

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  UTV Inc. 
#1 ·
Well I'm finally getting long travel. I went with Dragon Fire Racings new 6" Long travel with Fox Shocks. Does anybody else have this set up or any long travel from them? :D :D

#6 ·
zerofield said:
heard the alxes pop out easy.
More info please, Nick is a friend of mine and wan't to
see him make the right decision. From what I've seen
and read over the last year or so most kits have some issue
or another. I know some are better than others but has
anyone here had a bad experience or know someone who
has with the DFR kit. I myself had an issue with my LTR
kit with an axle breaking but since axles have been switched at no charge to 300m all is good.

#7 ·
i'm pretty sure it was a DFR kit. just another story from this weekend. don't know much more then it popped out. they put it back in, started riding and both came out

#8 ·
Well that sucks, The DFR kit that was explained to me today is suppose to be there new 6" kit which they have been testing since November and just recently released. We will see, I will post my thoughts on it after Presidents Day Weekend Oh Yeah!!!!!!

#9 ·
Every kit available has had issues with axles due to the limitations of the Rhino, this is common knowledge. With correct geometry, 930 CV clips, limit straps, & no dust shields we have seen the best results. One of the biggest problems we have seen is when the clips are distorted during installation, when this happens we usually see clip damage. We are working on a permanent fix to this problem.

with over 150 3.5" long travel kits in the last year and a half, and 25-30 6" kits recently we have had some axle issues. But just think of the suspension capabilities of LSR, SoCal, RMafia, RCraft, others, and us. To my knowledge we have all had issues. There is alot to be said about installation methods, how these cars are driven, and the differences in Rhinos that are causing the gremlins to pop up.
I can say that we are always here to offer as much help as possible with problems when and if they occur. My 6" kit(#2 production kit)worked perfect, but it was set up correctly, blew my head gasket though. Part of the sport at this level.

just some thoughts.
Taylor

#10 ·
tat2max said:
There is alot to be said about installation methods, how these cars are driven, and the differences in Rhinos that are causing the gremlins to pop up.
Yes, this is very true... i have told people that want to install it themselves OR take it to someone that doesnt have experience installing long travel kits to be wary of the results and reliability of the installation.

tat2max said:
I can say that we are always here to offer as much help as possible with problems when and if they occur.
This is the unseen benefit that anyone buying a long travel kit should put at the top of their list. PRODUCT SUPPORT. Its good to see that you guys work with the consumer in resolving any issues that may arise.

In regards to your kit, how do the spindles hold up with the 6" kit, are they any issues there?

#11 ·
MR O,
Thanks for the reply and understanding of where and how things happen.
As far as the spindles go, we have had problems only when driver error occurs, so far. They are a weak point after you beef up the suspension, and the steering rack becomes the weak point when you beef up the spindles, which we offer- but it all depends on how the car is driven. As you know it is a long path to eliminate the next weak area of the whole lineup. This is why we offer tie-rod extensions, not replacements due to them ripping the rack apart. In my honest opinion everything needs to be replaced(if you want to be in that RACE catagory).....
Suspension, spindles, rack, frame supports, engine, clutch system.. the list goes on for dollars and dollars, and again-it depends on what you are going to do with the car.
Get it to the level that you are comfortable with, drive it-have fun, if you break something welcome to the club. Sometimes we seem to forget that this car was made to haul hay. It sure is a fun hobby for all levels though. It really helps when people support the products they sell to come up with answers for the problems, we try very hard.

Thanks again,
Taylor

#13 ·
See now thats good info. DFR are you saying that you warranty and stand behind your product if it is installed by you or one of your
distributors. I personally paid to have my kit installed by Rhinocrap the
distributor at the time of the kit I chose, it cost me $300 to have it installed and yes I could have done it myself but its the best $300 I ever spent. When I did have an issue with broken axle the guys at Rhinocrap
were on top of it like it was thier own personal Rhino and they were not
the actual manufacture. Does this hold true for your company as well and
do you support your distributors when they have issues with your kit?

#14 ·
That would be a yes, we stand behind our products 100%, sometimes above and beyond what we should. And so do our franchises, and dealers.

And yes i agree, $300 for a long travel install is well worth it, and that is exactly what we charge for ours.

It takes our well trained wrenches just under 4 hours. That is after dozens and of installs. It can be a tricky puzzle if the car is off at all, especially a used car.

Taylor

PS-i am not always on here, but i will eventually get back.

#15 ·
Thats good to know, not everyone gets lucky like I
did with warranty issues I've seen and heard alot of
horror stories. That was the first question I asked
Rhinocrap when inquiring about the kits they had to
offer and when it came time to test it they came thru.
I am not sure if they where compensated by the manufacture, I never asked but I could see some distibutors
saying tuff **** your out of luck the manufacture won't do
anything about it. I guess my point is anyone that is looking for LT kit should ask these questions to the distributor and manufacture.

#16 ·
I've got the +3.5 from DFR and worked with Taylor's brother on my four seater build. The suspension is great, daddy gets to rip around, and then play nice when his girls are on board. They are a great bunch of guys and didn't try to sell me things I wouldn't need. Which is good, as I was constantly changing things and asking questions. I hope to make it to their party in March.

#17 ·
Well, that is definately good news to hear since I just bought your new 6' kit from American Sand Toys. Mike, Perry and Dennis have always taken care of me on issues with my Rhino. So I'm glad to hear you will stand behind your equipment since I will be hounding them if something goes wrong. Have you made any improvements on the axles nuts coming loose? As I'm in a different industry but with out customer service there is no reason to stay in business. I hope I never have issues, I'm hear to have a good time. Thanks again, for all of your information and support.

Nick

#18 ·
tat2max said:
That would be a yes, we stand behind our products 100%, sometimes above and beyond what we should. And so do our franchises, and dealers.

And yes i agree, $300 for a long travel install is well worth it, and that is exactly what we charge for ours.

It takes our well trained wrenches just under 4 hours. That is after dozens and of installs. It can be a tricky puzzle if the car is off at all, especially a used car.

Taylor

PS-i am not always on here, but i will eventually get back.
Sounds good, THanks for all your information. I look forward ot enjoying my LTK.

#19 ·
I busted an axle out in the dunes from jumping, Rhinomafia installed a new at no charge and also kicked some t-shirts our way. Jeff also told me that gearone is working on some indestructable axles that will be out in the next few weeks.

#20 ·
max powers said:
I busted an axle out in the dunes from jumping, Rhinomafia installed a new at no charge and also kicked some t-shirts our way. Jeff also told me that gearone is working on some indestructable axles that will be out in the next few weeks.
You are the first person I have heard of with an axle issue in the Rhino Mafia kit.

I think its possible that running without a sway-bar might have contributed to the extra flex which could have lead to the axle breaking.

#21 ·
Mr. Off-Road said:
max powers said:
You are the first person I have heard of with an axle issue in the Rhino Mafia kit.

I think its possible that running without a sway-bar might have contributed to the extra flex which could have lead to the axle breaking.
Talk to jeff and he'll tell you different, they have had many problems with axles, this why gearone is redesigning them, also why they carry extra when they go to glamis, I wasn't the only one to get a new axle that weekend.

#23 ·
long travel

Ok I have the DFR 3.5" suspension and have had nothing but trouble with it. The first time out july 4 I broke an upper ball joint out in coloradowhich in turn tore up a buch of other crap because of it. I thought oh no big deal maybe I was driving to hard down the mountain. I put another ball joint in. We did alittle riding around the house afew times to make sure all was well. I went back to colorado to ride agin in the trails with the two kidos and wife for labor day. I then had a new problem happen. The rear stabelizer bar tab tore off the arm. It took all the reast of the day to track someone down that had a welder it fix it and part of the next day to get it done. The following day during a senic ride The same dang thing happened on the last trip and this time I was not driving like a wild man. I broke a ball joint again. So I called DFR to see what the deal was. I had trouble getting someone to give me a call back to began with. When I did get someone they basicaly said I was full of ****. He said it was impossible to break the ball joint but yet I have manage to break two of them. I did not expect to be questioned like I was. I even had the dealer with me on both rides that I broke on. Hr even called to try and get somewhere but didnt . I have sinced fixed it again. I am scared to take it anywhere but flat roads. It is a golf cart with this suspension. I dont trust it. We also just ordered and installed the +6 on my buddies rhino against my better judgement. Now guess what???!!!!! The damn rear passenger axle wont stay in. Maybe we have been unlucky and got the only 2 bad sets?!!! I dont know. Now he cant even ride his rhino cause it wont stay together!!!!! It is new rhino and never been driven so i dont know what to think about DFR. I do know I dont think I would buy another suspension kit from them. I live in Liberal,KS. Someone at DFR knows who we are because we are the only ones to be a distributor for them in Liberal,KS.
Sorry about the long post guys.

#24 ·
Re: long travel

Fastnature said:
Ok I have the DFR 3.5" suspension and have had nothing but trouble with it. The first time out july 4 I broke an upper ball joint out in coloradowhich in turn tore up a buch of other crap because of it. I thought oh no big deal maybe I was driving to hard down the mountain. I put another ball joint in. We did alittle riding around the house afew times to make sure all was well. I went back to colorado to ride agin in the trails with the two kidos and wife for labor day. I then had a new problem happen. The rear stabelizer bar tab tore off the arm. It took all the reast of the day to track someone down that had a welder it fix it and part of the next day to get it done. The following day during a senic ride The same dang thing happened on the last trip and this time I was not driving like a wild man. I broke a ball joint again. So I called DFR to see what the deal was. I had trouble getting someone to give me a call back to began with. When I did get someone they basicaly said I was full of ****. He said it was impossible to break the ball joint but yet I have manage to break two of them. I did not expect to be questioned like I was. I even had the dealer with me on both rides that I broke on. Hr even called to try and get somewhere but didnt . I have sinced fixed it again. I am scared to take it anywhere but flat roads. It is a golf cart with this suspension. I dont trust it. We also just ordered and installed the +6 on my buddies rhino against my better judgement. Now guess what???!!!!! The damn rear passenger axle wont stay in. Maybe we have been unlucky and got the only 2 bad sets?!!! I dont know. Now he cant even ride his rhino cause it wont stay together!!!!! It is new rhino and never been driven so i dont know what to think about DFR. I do know I dont think I would buy another suspension kit from them. I live in Liberal,KS. Someone at DFR knows who we are because we are the only ones to be a distributor for them in Liberal,KS.
Sorry about the long post guys.

Dude, sorry to hear you had all this trouble. But let me ask you. Who did you have install it? My boss has the 3.5 and his kids beat the **** out of it in the Dunes, the desert and the road. The only thing so far that has happened is one axle nut has come loose, so what this means is we will check them before any big weekend. I know the guys who are doing my 6" DFR kit and they have done a few with out any problems like your explaining. I would check with the person or persons you had to install it. Good luck.

#25 ·
Fastnature,
Sorry to hear about this, news to me. On the 6" kit i did find out that we shipped new clips out yesterday ups overnight to the dealer. I also found out that there were no instructions on taking off the dust shields inside the Gorilla axle box. This was an oversight by Gorilla and missed by us, and now we will be checking to make sure that all boxes have those instructions. I would assume that after the dust shields are removed and a new 930 cv clip is installed that the problem will be rectified. Just to clarify, 930 cv clips, red loctite on axle nut, and limit straps.
On the 3.5" I am concerned about the fact that you keep breaking ball joints, thats a new one to me. In all cases i dont understand the "not our problem" line as this would not have fixed the problem, i am sorry if we gave you that impression. Please call our 800.708.9803 and ask for me, i would like to hear more about this, and check your installation.
Also find out when you bought the kit, who you have been dealing with and so on. I am sure we can come up with a solution. This sounds like one of those gremlins i have been talking about. Somebody must have thrown water on it.

Taylor

#26 ·
tat2max said:
Fastnature,
Sorry to hear about this, news to me. On the 6" kit i did find out that we shipped new clips out yesterday ups overnight to the dealer. I also found out that there were no instructions on taking off the dust shields inside the Gorilla axle box. This was an oversight by Gorilla and missed by us, and now we will be checking to make sure that all boxes have those instructions. I would assume that after the dust shields are removed and a new 930 cv clip is installed that the problem will be rectified. Just to clarify, 930 cv clips, red loctite on axle nut, and limit straps.
On the 3.5" I am concerned about the fact that you keep breaking ball joints, thats a new one to me. In all cases i dont understand the "not our problem" line as this would not have fixed the problem, i am sorry if we gave you that impression. Please call our 800.708.9803 and ask for me, i would like to hear more about this, and check your installation.
Also find out when you bought the kit, who you have been dealing with and so on. I am sure we can come up with a solution. This sounds like one of those gremlins i have been talking about. Somebody must have thrown water on it.

Taylor

See this is why the forums are so cool. It rellay mean alot ot me the DFR is going to stand behind there product. Now if the delaer installed it incorrectly than I think the dealer should take care of it. Thanks again Taylor, hope to see everyone President Day Weekend. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.