Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm fairly new to the site and everbody seems very helpfull on here. Anyway, I got my LSR XTR kit bolted up with the Kings and have a few questions if anybody has any experience with it. First of all, the Lonestar stuff bolted up like factory stuff and the craftsmanship is awesome! No complaints there at all! The Kings left me scratching my head. Loose preload adjusters, scratched anodizing, scuffed stickers, the quality of these seem pretty poor right out of the box!!! I run PEP shocks on my race Quad and if you hold them next to each other, it looks like I got the Kings at PEP boys or AutoZone!!!!!! Well enough with my complaining. I could use some setup tips if anyone knows any. I have the dual rate rears and had to preload the hell out of them to get the rear end up remotely close to the front. Any opinions on ride height or sag front to rear would be great. thanks again for any help you can give!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Its not like King to give you some used shocks like that I deal with them frequently, and everything leaves there in tits shape. After extensive shock R&D for my rhino, I ended running 250 psi in my rear, and it made a shitload of difference (recomended by Brett/ Lance, Ross KING). I do know they offer different spring lengths and rates that may fix your problem as for ride height. Cost me $700, but I brought my rhino down there with KINGS how I had them setup, and I bought all new springs (dual rate all 4 corners), and they revalved my shocks several times that day until they got preload/ rebound/ compression/ spring length and ride height perfect!!!! Most of the money went to springs and collars for the dual rate, and some went to valving...

I use my rhino for MX racing, but I could tell you that those shocks are usually not dialed in out of the box... especially due to the fact that everyone uses their rhinos different (some heavy, some light, 4 seater or 2 seater)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Hey guys! I'm fairly new to the site and everbody seems very helpfull on here. Anyway, I got my LSR XTR kit bolted up with the Kings and have a few questions if anybody has any experience with it. First of all, the Lonestar stuff bolted up like factory stuff and the craftsmanship is awesome! No complaints there at all! The Kings left me scratching my head. Loose preload adjusters, scratched anodizing, scuffed stickers, the quality of these seem pretty poor right out of the box!!! I run PEP shocks on my race Quad and if you hold them next to each other, it looks like I got the Kings at PEP boys or AutoZone!!!!!! Well enough with my complaining. I could use some setup tips if anyone knows any. I have the dual rate rears and had to preload the hell out of them to get the rear end up remotely close to the front. Any opinions on ride height or sag front to rear would be great. thanks again for any help you can give!
Where did you get your kit from... ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know they are not used just a little abused from the build to the shipping. Just wondering if all that preload on the rears is normal or are these not set up right. Hopefully I won't have to spend any extra $$ on these to dial them in. What do you have for sag front to rear? I see most of these leaning to the rear.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thats exactly what I would do. As a matter of fact, call and ask for Gerardo (some manager dude that knows his **** about sag and preload), and / or talk to Ross, the owner's brother, he is mainly the rhino guy over there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually have been talking to Greg on the forum and he has been a great help. I'm sure it will just be trial and error dialing them in. Does anyone have any input on the front end being wider than the rear? I'm running 14x9 front and rear and the rear is about an inch narrower on each side. How will this effect the handling? Should I space the rear to match or run it the way it is?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
those shocks should be all set up. Thats weird the adjusters are loose. I spent a day with Lance and Brett tuning those shocks for our kit, and what you have is what they came up with (or at least should be). If you have any issues with them what so ever, call up king, and work with them directly. Mike is our sales guy, and Brett is the rhino guy. They say they will do one free re-vavle if you need any changes done. I am sure you will have to spend a little for shipping. We have specs for 2 seat vs 4 seat, so they might have gotten them crossed up. If you are runnnig a 4 seater with all the extra weight, you need to have the rear shocks set up for that. King should do it no-charge. Let me know if you have any issues with them. It has been a nightmare dealing with them. We just ordered a set of shocks the other day, and they asked us why we wanted the dual rate set up. I still haven't been able to ask them why they are questioning thier own set up they feel works the best. So need less to say, i am getting tired of dealing with all thier issues.

Let me know if you need anything, and i will try my best to make it right.

Greg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Greg, I can't really put it to the test with the low temps over here but I talked to King today about the setup and worked out a few things. They were very helpfull anyways. I will keep in touch and post a few pics of the LSR kit. I have to say you guys did an awesome job with the fit and finish of this kit! The front shock relocater bracket is sick!! thanks again

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lonestar is an amazing company. There product is second to none, and there customer support is off the hook. I have their 6.5 kit on my rhino, and two of my buddys have purchased there kit as well. One look at there welds....and you will be amazed. I have the king dual rate shock setup on mine as well, with the lonestar two seat cage, and i had to adjust the rear almost all the way stiff as well just to get the sag half way close. I will be contacting king also to find out if there are any other ways to get the rear ride height and soften up the ride.

all and all, i would do it agian. My buddy got the lone star kit and went with the bilstien shock setup it has an amazing ride as well. here is short vid through the whoops in the desert...http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/...unday early/?action=view&current=MVI_3424.flv

1 - 14 of 14 Posts